Theme Park Discussion / Mystic Manor now running at HKDL

• disneylandian192%s's Photo
    LINKY:
    http://micechat.com/...r-ride-through/

Posted Image

This is some of the best original imagineering Disney has seen in a long time. I would love to see something original like this stateside.
  • Maverick%s's Photo
    I just watched a video about this earlier today. I'd love to see more parks do this stuff.
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    I fuckin LOVE this.
  • Maverix%s's Photo
    So much love.

And from an engineers mind, I love what is possible now with the trackless rides. Gives so many more possibilities for layout and compactness as well.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Holy shit, that looks só awesome!
  • Steve%s's Photo
    This is probably the best thing WDI has ever made since the classics like Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. This ride is all the proof anyone needs to show Disney knows how to make original rides better than anyone once they set out to do so. It's a shame parks like Universal Orlando are showing up Walt Disney World with all the new ride construction, cause if Disney brought this kind of stuff to the States at the rate Universal is cranking shit out, they'd be killing it. Mystic Manor looks fantastic and I hope I get to visit the park in my lifetime.
  • Highball%s's Photo
    It looks great and makes really good use of screens without overdoing it. I hope somethig like this comes stateside soon but sadly it won't be Mystic Manor because HKDL has a 5 year exclusivity agreement for it. The new Ratatouille dark ride going into Disney Studios Paris is going to use the same tech and has been mentioned for Epcot but who knows what will happen.
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    Pretty cool. I especially like the exterior of the building. It'd be nice to eventually see this elsewhere, whether it be in an Adventureland (I could see it in a transition zone between there and a Main Street or Liberty Square type area), Paradise Pier (the outside works, the inside is a bit of a stretch, but it kind of fits with a "Weird California" sort of Hearst Castle thing), or New York Harbor (it's basically the same story as DisneySea's ToT).

The trackless rides definitely involve a different mindset when designing a darkride, since the ride cars can explore an entire scene via whatever path they choose, for as long as they want, rather than just moving from point A to B.

Like Pooh, it looks like this also uses three cars per dispatch, so it probably also includes three slight variations on the paths the cars take.
  • Highball%s's Photo

Pretty cool. I especially like the exterior of the building. It'd be nice to eventually see this elsewhere, whether it be in an Adventureland (I could see it in a transition zone between there and a Main Street or Liberty Square type area), Paradise Pier (the outside works, the inside is a bit of a stretch, but it kind of fits with a "Weird California" sort of Hearst Castle thing), or New York Harbor (it's basically the same story as DisneySea's ToT

From what I've read, it's got a very small footprint for the type of ride it is. It's more comparable to The Little Mermaid than Haunted Mansion size-wise. Thus if they ever do bring it over here, it shouldn't be too hard to find a place for it.
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    Posted Image
    Yeah, looking at this picture from Screamscape showing the different routes, you can tell that it's not a terribly big ride. That was one big difference from Pooh, where it had several large open rooms to explore, while Mystic Manor follows more of a normal scene-by-scene approach.
  • Highball%s's Photo
    I hadn't seen that layout, but it makes sense. I noticed when watching the video that the vehicles don't do alot of "wandering" like they do with Pooh. I wonder if Rat will follow this approach or be more like Pooh?
  • disneylandian192%s's Photo
    Watched the video again with my fiance (also a big Disney buff). She mentioned that the ride itself lacked substance. The more I thought about it I agree. The thing that made the mansions so great was the rich history with the ride- most of it isn't even evident in the ride itself the first few times thru. MM has a decent premise, but its much too simple and spoonfed. Even the dialogue in the beginning and end of the ride seem short and forced. Ultimately I love Imagineering really using the newest available technology with this one, but the more I watch the POV the more I'm left wanting. Am I just being too critical?
  • Steve%s's Photo
    No, the story is definitely very run-of-the-mill. Mischievous creature messes with magical object and unleashes its power only to have it get out of hand and have another "hero" come in to end it. The story is actually kind of like if Mickey's Philarmagic was a dark ride. I think as far as content though, its pretty packed. Obviously not to the degree of the Haunted Mansion but it seems about on par with Pirates and Splash. However, despite all that, no need to be critical or complainitive because this is their best ride since Everest.
  • Highball%s's Photo
    I kind of agree about the story. I think MM suffered from some pretty severe budget cuts. For a while, it was rumored that it was going to lose it's trackless technology entirely. I'm not saying that's an excuse for a generic Disney-style ride story but maybe they originally wanted to flush it out more.

I dug up some of the art I saved when they released info about it. It's dated 2009, so it looks like they stayed pretty close to what eventually came to be. It looks like they planned on less screens though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Even though the story is shitty, I really can't think of much else they could have done. Still, it's a good,quality E-ticket that is light years better than anything Florida's gotten of late.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading