Theme Park Discussion / CP advice.

• Austin55%s's Photo
    Hello!

My family and I will be driving from Texas to CP. I'll be there two days, Monday and Tuesday next week. Just looking for answers to the usual questions. What sort of crowds to expect? What order to ride things? What seats are the best? Etc etc.

Thanks!
  • Ling%s's Photo
    If you ride in the front on Millennium Force, make sure to keep your mouth closed. TTD wasn't worth it. Maverick is probably the best thing in the world in the front. Raptor is always pretty solid, wherever you usually like to ride.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    I went for the first time about a week ago. I stayed on property (Hotel Breakers), which gave me the one extra hour for early entry. It was worth it, since the crowds were insane (up to a 2&1/2 hour wait for GK), but it was a Friday, so crowds should be better for you. I also purchased Fast Lane Plus (normal Fast Lane doesn't include TTD and GK), which was well worth it, and I am extremely grateful my coaster friends convinced me to buy it. I got 23 rides in for the whole day, and all of the credits.

As for seats, definitely Maverick and TTD in the front, Mean Streak (if you really want to) in front, and Magnum directly behind the front row. I idn't ride Millennium in the front because of the insanely long line (I ould have had to wait 15 loading cycles to ride), but I imagine it is the best way to ride it. I actually didn't really like MF, while I thought Maverick was amazing. I rode GateKeeper in all four corners (which I think you should do as well), and I liked the front-left best. I didn't care for Raptor, as I like Batman better. Make sure you get night rides on MF, Maverick, and TTD. But mostly Maverick.

Hope this helped. :mantis:
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    i was last at cedar point the year that maverick opened (or maybe the year after, I can't recall)

just be prepared for it to rain. I know that people make fun of cedar point all the time, but it is so frustrating when everything closes down for an hour because its drizzling. and the park is out in the middle of a lake, its practically guaranteed to rain :p

we did two days at the park, went clockwise around both times. that worked pretty well, I think. but that may be the direction the man wants you to go, so maybe lines will be better in the opposite way (maverick, mf, mantis, and more alliteration are first on the clockwise route, so naturally people go that way first). we didn't get a line skipping pass, but if you're a credit whore sort of person, you're only going to have problems in terms of waiting times at the big ones (probably). The rest were easy-ish to get on, and with two days you'll have no problem riding everything. (except dragster, constantly down for whatever reason and it opened late to boot, so I never rode it).

Also, if you're going with your family, if you have younger siblings who won't ride everything, just ask the ride ops to do a rider switch (or something like that). basically, one parent gets to ride while the other watches the kid, then the other parent gets to ride while the first watches the kid. sometimes they'll let an older sibling (key word: me) ride twice in a row that way.

also, if you have a long wait for mf, prepare to be disappointed. It's pretty, but I felt like it didn't really do anything. some decent airtime I suppose, but it felt so short. I also thought maverick was great, I didn't experience any of the roughness people complain about. ah well

what else... wicked twister is surprisingly fun, raptor is a world-class invert, mean streak will probably have no line so just do it anyway, blue streak is great, gemini is poop, magnum is alright (any of the morgan hypers are better), mantis is also poop (just... go with low expectations. I went on it expecting another riddler's revenge. bad idea), i love arrow suspenders (they're so cute!) so I liked iron whateveritscalled, mine train was really bad (I normally enjoy mine trains, too). thats my brief ride rundown i guess
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    i have no advice for you it's my home park and i never do anything there cuz i know theres always a next time

disaster transport was the best ride

the arcade by the entrance has a really solid collection of games
  • Louis!%s's Photo

we did two days at the park, went clockwise around both times. that worked pretty well, I think. but that may be the direction the man wants you to go, so maybe lines will be better in the opposite way (maverick, mf, mantis, and more alliteration are first on the clockwise route, so naturally people go that way first).

I can't remember where it was discussed or by who, but I seem to remember something being said that most people go round a theme park to the right (so anti-clockwise) because that's the way they are used to, in terms of most people drive on the right etc. But when it comes to the british (and others) we tend to go to the left (so clockwise) because we are opposite to everyone.

Basically, someone said that if you visit parks in america it's best to go to the left and work your way round that way as most people will be doing the opposite.

Anyhoo, my advice to you Austin is to take me with you.
  • Fisch%s's Photo
    if you can ride any rides while it's dark then just do Maverick as often as you can...forget everything else. Maverick during the day is brilliant. But at night it's even better...and don't keep looking at Maverick onrides beforehand.
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    Ride the rides. Have fun.

Topic beat
  • Fizzix%s's Photo
    Magnum is a great ride in the first half of the train, although the middle is pushing it. Gemini is a fun ride with lots of airtime as well, except for the final helix. Don't ride Mine Ride. Well, it's not that atrocious except for the final helix also. Maverick has always been tough on me because of those restraints. My thighs slam it on airtime and make it semi-unenjoyable. Millennium I've never had any problems with' it's easily my favorite at the park. Top Thrill I'm not crazy about, but it's pretty much a must ride if you're there. Mean Streak I love as well, regardless of a little roughness, although it's a lot better than it used to be a few years ago. Iron Dragon is meh. The second half of the ride is actually pretty enjoyable though. Gatekeeper I'm not sure of. I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time I rode it, but the inner harness locks in place and harasses my collar bone throughout the ride now. It was my last ride of the day last time I rode it. Granted, most of these could be the fact I'm over 6ft tall, but I'm not sure. Regardless, excellent park for coaster lovers. Have fun and post about it!

Oh, ride the last car or so on Millennium. The airtime is ridiculous, especially on the first drop, and second and third airtime hills. Highly recommended. I've never ridden Maverick anywhere but the front. Raptor is awesome in the front. About Raptor, the final 180* turn into the brakes is brutal if you're not prepared, so just keep your head back and hold on for that and you'll be good.
  • Maverix%s's Photo
    Maverick back row. That drop... :drool:
  • MorganFan%s's Photo

Maverick has always been tough on me because of those restraints. My thighs slam it on airtime and make it semi-unenjoyable.

The key to fix that is to grab the horsecollar instead of holding the handlebars.
    Posted Image
    Push up on the restraint lightly while riding and it shouldn't be a problem.
    Same for GateKeeper. If you're tall, push up on the softer part of the restraint so it won't hurt your neck/collar. It should lock in after you leave the station for a comfortable ride.
  • RCT2day%s's Photo
    I don't think I can help much with lines because my first and only time there a tornado hit the area and the park reopened with 10 minute waits on Millennium Force and GK. Just don't miss Wicked Twister (highly underrated coaster and the best impulse) and Raptor (great classic invert) in addition to the obvious ones (TTD, MF, Maverick).
    Tip on Mean Streak: do not lean back in your seat until the brake run and sit in a row not on the train's wheels. Doing this made for an almost decent ride that I would consider going on again.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    The restraints on Maverick blow and are completely inexcusable. I liked Mav a lot better because I gave it a lot of leeway on those things until I rode I-305 with the soft restraints... I-305 is my favorite steel coaster, and possibly my favorite coaster outright. Maverick is somewhere at the bottom of my top 10 steel. It's a great layout, but the shift from the lower "aquatrax" like trains ruined the heartlining, killed the INSANE zero G roll and made the horse collars into "a thing to bang my neck on". I could go on...

Some actual advice: (guessing at wait times for a Mon/Tues)

Blue Streak: Lines varry wildly. Usually the long ones are in the morning hours, walk-on at night: 0-45 minutes

Cedar Creek Mine Ride: Often runs only one train, but otherwise would be fine: 10 - 20 minutes

Corkscrew: It looks nice over the midway. The first drop, camel-back and loop are pretty fun in the back. Unless you want the credit it might be worth skipping. 0-20 minutes

Gatekeeper: I don't know man... I've seen 2+ hour waits and another day I rode it like 8 or 9 times. As for seats: front right outside. This is maybe the only coaster type where I advocate the front... it's really "out there" on your own. It's amazing. Back left gets the best forces. 15 minutes - 2.5 hours *shrugs*

Gemini: Split up and ride on separate trains in around the same area and try to give high-fives around the corners. Really improves the otherwise slow and boring parts of this ride. If it's only running one side, get the credit and move on. Warning: the helices at the end are surprisingly brutal. 15-45 minutes

Iron Dragon: Otherwise known as draggin' iron. Seriously a slowpoke, but not bad. Back is best for forces but I think the front gets slightly more "swing". Tends to be pretty popular, particularly early in the day when people are getting "warmed up". If the line doesn't look like a straight-shot to the station wait til' later and catch it then. 15-45 minutes.

Magnum XL-200: Early morning and night rides are both excellent and usually have minimal waits. The beast seats are near the "ejector seat" (1st car, 3rd row). I prefer 2nd car 1st row or 2nd car 2nd row because the ejector seats are over the wheel assembly and tend to punch you in the back a bit if it's not tracking perfect and it bruises the thighs. 10 - 45 minutes

Mantis: If you get the seats right it's not THAT BAD. Particularly near the front. There's just something distinctly flawed about standing after you stand that makes this kind of ride (rightfully) hated. Because the line is tucked away it's pretty much impossible to tell how long it is until you're in it... Adjust accordingly; don't be headstrong. The line for this thing varies. 20 minutes - 1 hour

Maverick: Similar to MF as far as lines, but it moves slower (lower capacity): ~1.5 hours

Mean Streak: Usually minimal line. Honestly DON'T RIDE IT if the trims on the first drop are on. It's intolerably painful and otherwise incredibly boring. If the day is cold/rainy and they can't fill trains they'll often run it with minimal trims: then RIDE IT. Mean Streak is alternately one of my favorite and least favorite coasters depending on weather and trims: 0-15 minute

Millennium Force: Always has a steady line unless weather or breakdowns cause people to bail: ~1 Hour

Raptor: Best seats are front row (DUH) or back-row on the right side (great first drop). Waits vary wildly but are always at their lowest in the evening. Particularly 6-7pm.

Top Thrill Dragster: Is a fickle beast. Lines will vary wildly based on weather, breakdowns, and the whims of the crowd. Has been running well lately when it's not shut down... a bit of floater if you ride in the front couple rows. 20 minutes - 3 years (I wish I was kidding, but it opened in '03 and I didn't ride it until 2006, and yes, I was there every year... sometimes more)

Wicked Twister: Tends to be the "black sheep" of the big coasters (that isn't Mantis, which people just ignore and hate). Best seats are 2nd to back because the row in-front of you rotates away on the back spike and the psychological terror is palpable. 10-45 minutes (if you see a long line, come back: it won't last)

Wildcat: *cries* I genuinely miss that stupid thing... So fun.

The train is worthwhile for the views and to save walking. Same goes for the Skyride. I generally try to avoid eating in the park, and be warned that the DQ (and maybe the McDonalds too) on the way in are operated by Cedar Fair as well and priced accordingly. I really like the Thirsty Pony if you don't want to travel far, otherwise there's the normal fast-food alley to the south-west. If you're not too attached to your money though, the food in the park is okay (just very expensive for what you get).

Ride6
  • csw%s's Photo
    Never been to Cedar Point, but I have been on long car rides. Bring a good book and a pillow.
  • Twiggy%s's Photo

Never been to Cedar Point, but I have been on long car rides. Bring a good book and a pillow.

This. This is the greatest thing I've ever read.

Oh, and Austin, I echo everything said here.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

Basically, someone said that if you visit parks in america it's best to go to the left and work your way round that way as most people will be doing the opposite.

i think the crowds at cedar point tend to go clockwise actually, the bigger attractions are mostly to the left of the park
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    I totally forgot about food. New Sandusky Fish Co. is just over five minutes off the peninsula, and the food is great, and always to-go. Huge servings as well.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Awesome responses everyone! I'm so excited :)/>/>/>

Only downside is I'll be driving right past two really good parks, Kennywood and Kings Island. One day I'll just take a huge NE theme park tour.
    Posted Image
    trip plans by Micro55, on Flickr

I'll be breaking several personal coaster milestones.
    -Tallest Coaster
    -Fastest Coaster
    -First Arrow hyper
    -First B&M Standup
    -First non BTR B&M Invert
    -First B&M wingrider
    -First Intamin launch
    -First Intamin hyper

@Ling

TTD looks ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I will shit myself on the way down from the top hat. Maverick looks like the best. I've never been an B&M that wasn't a BTR, so this will be new!

@Morganfan

Very Helpful! Thanks man. I'm actually incredibly looking forward to mean streak, if for nothing more than that it's old Texas Giant's brother. Gatekeeper will definatly get a few rides from me.

@Cocoa

Thanks! No kids, just dad and his parents. I have no idea what my grandparents will do the whole two days, but they'll find something I'm sure. I remember loving V2 @ GAM, so looking forward to WT. Never been on a B&M standup. My only suspended was XLR8 and they are a lot of fun really.

@Dr. Dude

Disaster transport? Guessed I missed that one.

@Lew

That is true! Most people typicall go right when they enter a store or something.
    I wish I could bring ya lew.

@Fisch

Maverick at dark will be a for sure. I want to do Gatekeeper at night to, good or bad idea?

@Gee

Boom done.

Magnum is a great ride in the first half of the train, although the middle is pushing it. Gemini is a fun ride with lots of airtime as well, except for the final helix. Don't ride Mine Ride. Well, it's not that atrocious except for the final helix also. Maverick has always been tough on me because of those restraints. My thighs slam it on airtime and make it semi-unenjoyable. Millennium I've never had any problems with' it's easily my favorite at the park. Top Thrill I'm not crazy about, but it's pretty much a must ride if you're there. Mean Streak I love as well, regardless of a little roughness, although it's a lot better than it used to be a few years ago. Iron Dragon is meh. The second half of the ride is actually pretty enjoyable though. Gatekeeper I'm not sure of. I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time I rode it, but the inner harness locks in place and harasses my collar bone throughout the ride now. It was my last ride of the day last time I rode it. Granted, most of these could be the fact I'm over 6ft tall, but I'm not sure. Regardless, excellent park for coaster lovers. Have fun and post about it!

Oh, ride the last car or so on Millennium. The airtime is ridiculous, especially on the first drop, and second and third airtime hills. Highly recommended. I've never ridden Maverick anywhere but the front. Raptor is awesome in the front. About Raptor, the final 180* turn into the brakes is brutal if you're not prepared, so just keep your head back and hold on for that and you'll be good.

I don't mind getting beat up so much. Many of my favorite rides are painful. Lots of good advice here, thanks!

Maverick back row. That drop... :drool:/>/>/>/>

I just plan on riding Maverick EVERYWHERE :SA:/>/>/>

The key to fix that is to grab the horsecollar instead of holding the handlebars.
    Posted Image
    Push up on the restraint lightly while riding and it shouldn't be a problem.
    Same for GateKeeper. If you're tall, push up on the softer part of the restraint so it won't hurt your neck/collar. It should lock in after you leave the station for a comfortable ride.

Good to know!

I don't think I can help much with lines because my first and only time there a tornado hit the area and the park reopened with 10 minute waits on Millennium Force and GK. Just don't miss Wicked Twister (highly underrated coaster and the best impulse) and Raptor (great classic invert) in addition to the obvious ones (TTD, MF, Maverick).
    Tip on Mean Streak: do not lean back in your seat until the brake run and sit in a row not on the train's wheels. Doing this made for an almost decent ride that I would consider going on again.

Good advice on the wheel trains. I know on Judge Roy here at SFOT, the front seat is airtimey as hell, but the back seat hurts like a bitch.

The restraints on Maverick blow and are completely inexcusable. I liked Mav a lot better because I gave it a lot of leeway on those things until I rode I-305 with the soft restraints... I-305 is my favorite steel coaster, and possibly my favorite coaster outright. Maverick is somewhere at the bottom of my top 10 steel. It's a great layout, but the shift from the lower "aquatrax" like trains ruined the heartlining, killed the INSANE zero G roll and made the horse collars into "a thing to bang my neck on". I could go on...

Some actual advice: (guessing at wait times for a Mon/Tues)

Blue Streak: Lines varry wildly. Usually the long ones are in the morning hours, walk-on at night: 0-45 minutes

Cedar Creek Mine Ride: Often runs only one train, but otherwise would be fine: 10 - 20 minutes

Corkscrew: It looks nice over the midway. The first drop, camel-back and loop are pretty fun in the back. Unless you want the credit it might be worth skipping. 0-20 minutes

Gatekeeper: I don't know man... I've seen 2+ hour waits and another day I rode it like 8 or 9 times. As for seats: front right outside. This is maybe the only coaster type where I advocate the front... it's really "out there" on your own. It's amazing. Back left gets the best forces. 15 minutes - 2.5 hours *shrugs*

Gemini: Split up and ride on separate trains in around the same area and try to give high-fives around the corners. Really improves the otherwise slow and boring parts of this ride. If it's only running one side, get the credit and move on. Warning: the helices at the end are surprisingly brutal. 15-45 minutes

Iron Dragon: Otherwise known as draggin' iron. Seriously a slowpoke, but not bad. Back is best for forces but I think the front gets slightly more "swing". Tends to be pretty popular, particularly early in the day when people are getting "warmed up". If the line doesn't look like a straight-shot to the station wait til' later and catch it then. 15-45 minutes.

Magnum XL-200: Early morning and night rides are both excellent and usually have minimal waits. The beast seats are near the "ejector seat" (1st car, 3rd row). I prefer 2nd car 1st row or 2nd car 2nd row because the ejector seats are over the wheel assembly and tend to punch you in the back a bit if it's not tracking perfect and it bruises the thighs. 10 - 45 minutes

Mantis: If you get the seats right it's not THAT BAD. Particularly near the front. There's just something distinctly flawed about standing after you stand that makes this kind of ride (rightfully) hated. Because the line is tucked away it's pretty much impossible to tell how long it is until you're in it... Adjust accordingly; don't be headstrong. The line for this thing varies. 20 minutes - 1 hour

Maverick: Similar to MF as far as lines, but it moves slower (lower capacity): ~1.5 hours

Mean Streak: Usually minimal line. Honestly DON'T RIDE IT if the trims on the first drop are on. It's intolerably painful and otherwise incredibly boring. If the day is cold/rainy and they can't fill trains they'll often run it with minimal trims: then RIDE IT. Mean Streak is alternately one of my favorite and least favorite coasters depending on weather and trims: 0-15 minute

Millennium Force: Always has a steady line unless weather or breakdowns cause people to bail: ~1 Hour

Raptor: Best seats are front row (DUH) or back-row on the right side (great first drop). Waits vary wildly but are always at their lowest in the evening. Particularly 6-7pm.

Top Thrill Dragster: Is a fickle beast. Lines will vary wildly based on weather, breakdowns, and the whims of the crowd. Has been running well lately when it's not shut down... a bit of floater if you ride in the front couple rows. 20 minutes - 3 years (I wish I was kidding, but it opened in '03 and I didn't ride it until 2006, and yes, I was there every year... sometimes more)

Wicked Twister: Tends to be the "black sheep" of the big coasters (that isn't Mantis, which people just ignore and hate). Best seats are 2nd to back because the row in-front of you rotates away on the back spike and the psychological terror is palpable. 10-45 minutes (if you see a long line, come back: it won't last)

Wildcat: *cries* I genuinely miss that stupid thing... So fun.

The train is worthwhile for the views and to save walking. Same goes for the Skyride. I generally try to avoid eating in the park, and be warned that the DQ (and maybe the McDonalds too) on the way in are operated by Cedar Fair as well and priced accordingly. I really like the Thirsty Pony if you don't want to travel far, otherwise there's the normal fast-food alley to the south-west. If you're not too attached to your money though, the food in the park is okay (just very expensive for what you get).

Ride6

Incredible help! Thank you much!

Better advice- Have a comfortable and badass car :)/>/>/> I drove 400 miles straight this weekend. Sadly taking my grandparents giant Hyundai thingy.

This. This is the greatest thing I've ever read.

Oh, and Austin, I echo everything said here.

Fantastic!

@Dr. Dude

Hmm, interesitng. WIll investigate this.

@Morganfan

Sounds good! I always like to explore the locale to.
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    holy shit that is a long drive. i would just take a plane...unless you plan on hitting up a ton of parks on the way
  • RMM%s's Photo
    maverick would be be the top ride at cp had there been no shoulder restraints. it kinda takes away from the first drop.

just be sure to ride millennium force, back seat as always. and on that final bank at 60mph, don't prepare your body for it or you'll pull something.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading