General Chat / Pop-Up Messages. Bloody Hell.

• Jellybones%s's Photo
    Okay, this is probably an easy one, but I'm computer illiterate so bear with me. Ever since I got my new computer, when I'm on the internet I get these pop-up messages that say shit about some weird shit to make me lose weight, make my dick bigger, or stop the pop-up messages, ironically. I don't know what program it is, it just says "Messenger Service" in the title bar. It's pissing me off already. What the hell do I do?
  • Toon%s's Photo
    That has nothing to do with the internet browser. It is a feature of your operating system that some ad software takes advantage of. It can be disabled by doing the following.

Goto Control panel > administrative tools > services

scroll down to where it says messenger and double click

then change startup type to disabled.

You are now done and should not have to experience these any longer (after restart)

PS This utility has nothing to do with MSN Messenger. It was designed for network communications specifically for inter office use.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    Or you can spend 29 99 and buy a program that turns it off for you!!:D
  • Toon%s's Photo
    You mean the program they advertise using the messenger pop ups! I hope I didn't just cut into their business ;)
  • posix%s's Photo
    QOTSA-2002, I have something for you.
    It's the ultimate Spy- and Adware killer tool called "Ad-Aware". Get it here and make sure you download v6.0
    Once installed, you should update the reference file with the "internet update" tool. Pretty easy thing to do, I doubt you'll have problems there. When you've finished updating, set all your hdds to be scanned and then perform scan. It should take quite a while but it's worth it, believe me. You'll get the results as listed spyware that somehow got onto your computer but isn't supposed to be there. They are responsible for all of these pop-ups and what not...
    You can delete it all.
    Hope this helps.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

That has nothing to do with the internet browser.  It is a feature of your operating system that some ad software takes advantage of.  It can be disabled by doing the following.

Goto Control panel > administrative tools > services

scroll down to where it says messenger and double click

then change startup type to disabled.

You are now done and should not have to experience these any longer (after restart)

PS This utility has nothing to do with MSN Messenger.  It was designed for network communications specifically for inter office use.

You rock, man. Thanks a lot.
  • SFMMXtreme%s's Photo
    I just got a free pop up stopper. It works. Ill see if that thingy that ToonTowner said works.

-SFMMXtreme
  • JBruckner%s's Photo

[font="tahoma"]QOTSA-2002, I have something for you.
    It's the ultimate Spy- and Adware killer tool called "Ad-Aware". Get it here and make sure you download v6.0
    Once installed, you should update the reference file with the "internet update" tool. Pretty easy thing to do, I doubt you'll have problems there. When you've finished updating, set all your hdds to be scanned and then perform scan. It should take quite a while but it's worth it, believe me. You'll get the results as listed spyware that somehow got onto your computer but isn't supposed to be there. They are responsible for all of these pop-ups and what not...
    You can delete it all.
    Hope this helps.[/font]

That has nothing to do with what he was asking. Dumbass. Those messages arnt spyware. They are a built in networking feature for buisness use. People now take advantage of them. Its really retarded. So yeah. You lose Posix. Ad-Aware is great though.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Glitchwolf - why are you being such a prick to people? I don't understand.

As for the topic, I just get the odd pop-up from various sites. I once had Gator on my computer, but managed to get rid of it.
  • Foozycoaster%s's Photo
    The Worst is really infested Spyware, and BHO's, like Gator, and Xupiter/Squire(much, much worse). If you find about 20 full screen ads that wont go away for a minute each, search the net for programs to get rid of that stuff.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    To tell you the truth mantis I guess I was just angry last night. Mostly tired I think. I just wanted to clarify what QOTSA-2002 was asking for. :D No harm meant really.
  • posix%s's Photo

To tell you the truth mantis I guess I was just angry last night.  Mostly tired I think.  I just wanted to clarify what QOTSA-2002 was asking for. :D No harm meant really.

I wanted to have an amusing debate with him.... it would've been time since I hate him anyway... but now I come to think about it I'm afraid it'll just bore me...
  • Micool%s's Photo
    While we are having a discussion about how to run your computer, does anyone remember the thing where you can play RCT without the CD? I haven't used the CD in about a year, and I can't remember how I did it. I'd like to know though. Gracias.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo

[font="tahoma"]I wanted to have an amusing debate with him.... it would've been time since I hate him anyway... but now I come to think about it I'm afraid it'll just bore me...[/font]

LOL. Posix you are so intimidating. Really. Your intelligence it leaps and bounds ahead of mine too. I would never want to argue with you because I might bore you. But really. Posix. I wouldve won the debate. Also. What the fuck is

it would've been time

Really what the hell does that mean. Take the time to write a sentence and stop fucking your boyfriend. Ok? Good. Thanks bye.
  • posix%s's Photo

LOL. Posix you are so intimidating.  Really.  Your intelligence it leaps and bounds ahead of mine too.  I would never want to argue with you because I might bore you.  But really.  Posix.  I wouldve won the debate.  Also.  What the fuck is

Really what the hell does that mean.  Take the time to write a sentence and stop fucking your boyfriend. Ok? Good.  Thanks bye.

As I thought... it bores me...
    for your information:
    when I wrote "it would've been time" I meant "it's about time". I just couldn't remember the right translation for the german in my head.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Well, this is the dumbest argument I've seen in a long time.
  • Vert%s's Photo
    QOTSA-2002, most of those spyware and adware programs get to your computer through the information they store on your computer. Try checking out how much is in your Cookies folder. Don't bother counting, just delete them. If you have Kazaa or Napster, then that where a lot of the pop ups are getting their juice from.
  • minnimee85%s's Photo
    Ok two sites yu should all visit. The first is doxdesk.com. It runs a detection script for all the spyware and crap and tells yu how to get rid of it. Its very useful.

Second is grc.com. The guy who runs is a hacker for the fbi. Go to the sheilds up page, and then probe my ports. Its a basic script that will test yur firewalls and stuff.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading