General Chat / 2014 in film

• Liampie%s's Photo

I've seen four 2014 movies so far. One great, two decent and one garbage.

1. 8,2/10 - The Grand Budapest Hotel

2. 7,4/10 - The Lego Movie

3. 6,5/10 - The Monuments Men

4. 5,0/10 - Divergent

And there's some stuff to look forward to. Mainly Interstellar of course, but also Ridley Scott's Exodus. Noah is possibly alright, and the Hunger Games have been a solid series so far. Transcendence had me interested, until the trailers were released.

• Corkscrewy%s's Photo
    Grand Budapest hotel is still in limited release here so I haven't gotten a chance to see it. But I desperately want too

The lego movie. Hands down, blew me away. So good. I absolutely loved it.

And the other two I haven't seen.

I can't wait for cap 2 which you lucky bastards get to see this weekend.
  • 5dave%s's Photo

Secret Lif of Walter Mitty:

Great feel-good movie that makes you want to pack your bags and leave town. I loved the whole daydreaming during the movie, the ending is a bit cliche, but still - great movie! (8/10)

Nebraska:

I knew nothing about that movie and I was positively surprised. The movie had some oppressive feel to it, but the characters were really good - especially the whole family. Also a nice feel-good movie after all. (7/10)

American Hustle:

Dunno, I qas expecting more of this. Until half of the movie I was baffled knowing this movie was received so well in the media. The second half was much better but still a bit predictable. (6/10)

Dallas Buyers Club:

While the topic is rather depressing, the movie had its fun moments thanks to the main character. Although it wasn't no new story the acting saves the plot a lot. (7/10)

The Grand Budapest Hotel:

Lovely movie, I liked the unique camera, the great characters, the pace, all the sillyness. Even the brutal scenes were funny! (9/10)

No bad movies so far, at least I try to avoid them. ;)

"MFG"

• Corkscrewy%s's Photo
    I just really love wes Anderson. And from what I've heard it's basically the epitome of all of his movies. So I desperately want to see it.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo

Grand Budapest Hotel was hands down the most charming film I've ever seen. I expected nothing less of Wes Anderson, and I didn't stop smiling for the duration of the movie.The entire thing was genius and I knew from the first few seconds that it was going to be brilliant.

• Louis!%s's Photo

I know it was 2013, but I've only just watched it. Saving Mr Banks was a brilliant film. So powerful.

• nin%s's Photo

Anyone see Days of Future Past yet? Thought is was pretty solid, haven't been into a movie like that in a while. I'm really loving what they're doing with the X-Men franchise as I'm growing tired of the overly comical comic book movies. These stay pretty grounded which is appreciated.

• 5dave%s's Photo

The Lego Movie:

I was pretty surprised by this one. Funny, fast-paced and with lots of hints and references to nearly everything Lego and pop culture. The message of the film was nice too. Best family movie in a long time IMO and also one of the best so far this year. (9/10)

"MFG"

• Mattk48%s's Photo

Going to see GODZILLA tonight. Will post opinions

• Liampie%s's Photo

Update! More mediocre movies seen. Thankfully Godzilla is not as bad as some people make it out to be... At least I don't agree with the '98 comparisons. This is not quite a masterpiece, but it's miles and miles ahead of '98 Godzilla...

1. 8,2/10 - The Grand Budapest Hotel

2. 7,4/10 - The Lego Movie

3. 6,6/10 - Godzilla

4. 6,5/10 - The Monuments Men

5. 6,4/10 - 300: Rise of an Empire

6. 6,2/10 - Noah

7. 5,8/10 - Bad Neighbours

8. 5,0/10 - Divergent

• MorganFan%s's Photo

The Fault In Our Stars was probably the saddest movie I've ever seen...

6.5/10

Edit: Yeah Coasterbill is right.

I don't think I've ever seen a movie or read a book whose main purpose is to make you sad. This was just over the line. Its like they thought about making a drama, but they were like: "Nah, let's make people shit themselves because they're so sad. It's one of those things where you tell yourself "This can't possibly get any worse", and then it does. Ten times.

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

My girlfriend dragged me to see Fault of our Stars and it was horrible. Everyone in the theater was crying, I felt like they should have passed out tissues... I don't even think I've seen that kind of reaction at a funeral.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would want to go to a movie to be depressed and miserable.

Personally I thought the movie was trying too hard to make people miserable and was almost corny at certain points (like the rain when they were on the way to the funeral).

In short... screw this, don't see this movie.

• Liampie%s's Photo

Come on, surely more people watch movies here?

This is my list as of now, new (recent) additions in italics. I've decided to include some movies with their original release in 2013, but with Dutch releases in 2014.

1. 8.2/10 - The Wind Rises
    2. 8.2/10 - The Grand Budapest Hotel
    3. 8.1/10 - Boyhood (This is not an ordinary movie. Go see it if you have the chance)
    4. 8.0/10 - Her
    5. 8.0/10 - Twelve Years a Slave
    6. 7.9/10 - The Wolf of Wall Street
    7. 7.4/10 - Edge of Tomorrow (Little depth or originality, but the execution is perfect and devoid of cliches. Excellent entertainment!)
    8. 7.4/10 - The Lego Movie
    9. 7.2/10 - A Most Wanted Man (A superficial movie, but in my opinion quite beautifully shot and Seymour Hoffman's acting is definitely a highlight. Decent plot.)
    10. 7.2/10 - 22 Jump Street
    11. 6.6/10 - The Two Faces of January (A classical psychological thrilles, reminiscent of some Hitchcock movie's actually. A very nice surprise)
    12. 6.6/1 - Godzilla
    13. 6.5/10 - Cloudy With a Chance of Meatball 2
    14. 6.5/10 - The Monuments Men
    15. 6.4/10 - 300: Rise of an Empire
    16. 6.2/10 - Noah
    17. 5.8/10 - Bad Neighbours
    18. 5.5/10 - A Million Ways to Die in the West
    19. 5.0/10 - That Awkward Moment (Not as bad as I expected. Sex and the City for men.)
    20. 5.0/10 - Divergent
    21. 4.8/10 - Premature (Enjoyable garbage)
    22. 4.5/10 - How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Annoying garbage. Visually appealing, but otherwise nothing more than cookie cutter plot and characters, with cliche after cliche. Most overrated movie of the year.)

This is shaping up to be a decent list now. And the best movies are possibly still coming up...

- Interstellar by Christopher Nolan. Can't fucking wait. Well made sci-fi that's not also action is rare these days.

- Fury looks like the first proper war movie since Saving Private Ryan

- Gone Girl. David Fincher. Enough said. Trailer looked great.

- Inherent Vice. Paul Thomas Anderson. Enough said.

- Exodus: Gods and Kings. I expect hit or miss. I love historical epics, but as usual with Ridley Scott we may have to wait for the director's cut to get a good movie. Theatrical cuts tend to be garbage.

- I've been looking forward to The Interview (I love everything Seth Rogen & co does), but it seems the release has been pushed back to 2015 now...

• 5dave%s's Photo
    Guardians of the Galaxy:

Maybe not as inventive and original, but still well made entertainment. I really liked this one. Great characters, visuals, humor and soundtrack! The plot itself wasn't that good but all the other parts added to an entertaining whole.
    (9/10)

"MFG"
  • Liampie%s's Photo

How is it compared to The Avengers? Better or worse? If it's better I might consider seeing it...

• 5dave%s's Photo
    Definately better than Avengers IMO. But I also liked Captain America more than the Avengers movie.

"MFG"
  • csw%s's Photo

Liam, I doubt I have seen much more than 40 movies in my life. Crazy that you've seen 22 this year alone. 

• Faas%s's Photo

He saw more than 22 movies this year, these are just the movies that came out this year. 

• Liampie%s's Photo

Liam, I doubt I have seen much more than 40 movies in my life. Crazy that you've seen 22 this year alone.

No more than 40 movies in your life? Do you live in Somalia? I've seen 123 movies so far this year. Sounds like a lot, but less than one movie every other day is not that much. Some people watch eight hours of television a day or play RCT for three hours straight. I couldn't and wouldn't do either of those...

And just for showing off now: according to my excel sheet, I've seen at least 774 movies in my life. Avengers isn't even in the top 500, being a piece of crap.
  • Faas%s's Photo

I hate superhero movies, which the general Hollywood public seem to love. One exception is maybe the Dark Knight, but that was because of Heath Ledger.  

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading