Ask the Experts / Co op possibilities using synchronized mapdata

• oli414%s's Photo

I had a random idea that came up in mind and I thought it would be worth sharing.

What if we had a program that checks your mapdata continuously and looks which parts have changed since the last check.
    Those changes will be send to another player on another computer. When the other player his computer
    recieves this data it will make those changes in his mapdata. Looking at what trainers can do it must be 
    possible rides and peeps won't be synchronized but that wouldn't really matter. I might be able to make a program that makes it possible to have mapdata synchronized but I need your opinions and ideas on this.

If my explanation did not make any sense:
    Attached File  coop_rct.png (3.81KB)
    downloads: 14

I hope you understand what I mean, if something is not clear or just not possible tell me!

• Faas%s's Photo

Why would people want to use this? 

• oli414%s's Photo

Playing RCT co op in real time

• Lotte%s's Photo

i don't think rct2 would allow it, it's a 12 year old game written in assembly. 

• oli414%s's Photo

8 cars already does something like this but not over the internet. Using tools like winhack you can see the code yourself so why won't a program be able to edit/see it

• 5dave%s's Photo

So how could it be possible to change a file when opened on another computer?

The syncing when only one is building at a time could be done via dropbox etc. as well...

"MFG"

• oli414%s's Photo

The file is not actually opened on another computer. The mapdata is not one shared file

• Lotte%s's Photo

wouldn't that mean you'd need a server?

• oli414%s's Photo

You will need a server but only to send data from one player to the other. The server won't change or calculate anything.

• Lotte%s's Photo

you are aware that renting a server costs money and that most people are fine with just using a file sharer right?

• oli414%s's Photo

Portforwarding ;-)

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Wtf, why would you need a server? you're just sending data between two people.

Its a clever idea, but it would likely have issues

• csw%s's Photo

In theory, the idea would work and I think it would be pretty neat. But somehow I don't see sending the entire map's data instantaneously to another computer (which could be halfway across the world) working too smoothly. 

• oli414%s's Photo

It won't be sending the full map, it's only sending the parts that have changed

Tags

Members Reading