General Chat / World Cup 2014

Football or soccer?

Which team will win?

• Liampie%s's Photo

It's less than 24 hours away now... Who else is excited!? :D

• Lotte%s's Photo

were the songs dutch singers make for the worldcup always so shitty or am i now just old enough to realize that they're crap?

• Liampie%s's Photo

I cannot remember a single decent song, so yes, they were always shitty. But I'm working on a song of my own, hopefully I will get it done... If it gets done, I promise it will be better (and less instrumental) than my previous football song.

edit: which nut voted for England in the poll?

• trav%s's Photo

edit: which nut voted for England in the poll?

Three fucking lions bitch.

(me)

• Liampie%s's Photo

Just realised the poll votes are public so I could've known. Makes me feel dumb, but at least I didn't vote for England. :p

• csw%s's Photo

How do I change my first answer to "not care"? That wasn't an option when I voted. 

• Coupon%s's Photo

usa for the soccer superbowl!

• Stoksy%s's Photo

^lol. Really quite excited for this, as mid-year break starts at the same time so I can watch basically all the games :D.

Gotta support the Netherlands with my dutch roots, although hard to say who will win it. Surprised no-one is rating them though, they certainly don't have a weak squad by any stretch of the imagination.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

rdplkhr.jpg

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    Given our typical performance at the olympics, can you really blame the average soccer-ignorant American for assuming we're good at it? We are constantly discovering that somewhere in our giant-ass highly-funded national athletics program we had a medal-winning whitewater canoeoing team or superstar skeleton sledder or something else no one realized was taken seriously as a sport.

"Oh, another international big athletics thing, so we probably have a team in the top three right? We'll totally win."

Oh how little they know
  • Coupon%s's Photo

im rooting for italy

• Stoksy%s's Photo

I'm quite surprised that teams like Germany, Italy, and to a lesser extent France didn't put themselves as top. Was that based on public opinion or?

Surprising therefore that only two teams other than Brazil realistically think that they'll win it. (no offence US). Although I guess that this just shows that other than Argentina, Spain, and the US, Brazil are the clear favourites this year.

I also find it quite amusing that Australian's are so optimistic that we put ourselves second favourite, and as a result genuinely believe that we'll make it out of the group.

• FredD%s's Photo

Belgium all the way baby! But not realistic... Quarter finals is the best we can do. Besides my home country, I'm rooting for Argentina... best strikers in the world!

• Coasterbill%s's Photo
    Given our typical performance at the olympics, can you really blame the average soccer-ignorant American for assuming we're good at it?

I thought the general consensus was that Americans knew we sucked at Soccer but we don't care.

Personally I've tried to like this sport, I know the rest of the world loves it so I feel like I must be missing something but every time I try to watch it I just turn it off because it's not interesting to me. I think the problem with the sport itself is that nobody ever scores, and nobody really threatens to score very often.

I like sports where points (or their equivalent) are rare enough that they're all important but not so rare that they're never scored. Something like baseball, football or hockey is exciting to me for this reason (I don't enjoy basketball because there are too many points, the opposite of soccer).

Hockey is low scoring, but there are a lot of serious scoring threats, the puck generally spends much time in the neutral zone. In soccer the majority of the game is played in the middle of the pitch (did I say that right... it sounds right lol).

I don't mean to come in here and bash the sport, it's just that I don't get the appeal. One thing I've noticed is that sports are always more fun when you're surrounded by people that love the sport and watch the games. I think the biggest problem with soccer in America may just be that there's no excitement surrounding it. I bet it's really cool in Europe and other parts of the world where the community rallies behind the team. That atmosphere alone would make it exciting and I wish it were like that in America because it would be a lot of fun.

• FredD%s's Photo

Nobody ever scores? Final EC 2012: 4-0... :p

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

Fair enough but when a 4-0 game is considered high scoring then it's a low scoring sport when you compare it to the other American sports (Basketball, Baseball, Football and even Hockey).

I didn't mean to show up and be a prick by bashing soccer while everyone is discussing it so I'm sorry if I'm doing that, I'm just responding to some of the posts about the U.S. team and the American ignorance in regards to the sport.

As I said at the end of my post though enjoy the World Cup, everyone. I think if America did have the same passion for it it would be a lot of fun because the passionate fans and the atmosphere they create are the best part of any sport.

• Lotte%s's Photo

im rooting for italy

don't get your hopes up coups, they have some young talent, but the biggest talent is now pretty old, marchisio and di natale are now over 35, are they even going to the world cup? most of their big talent retired from the national team after 2006 when they won. personally i think it'll be between spain, brazil and germany, with the other one probably being a suprise, but i hope it's the netherlands. after the trauma 4 years ago we deserve it 

• Faas%s's Photo

gdb wtf are you talking about? They were in the finals of the European Cup two years ago where they beat Germany. How can you say their best players retired in 2006? 

Favorites for me are Brazil and Belgium. The Dutch team absolutely sucks, and to be honest I don't care how they will perform. 

• Liampie%s's Photo

If any other mediocre team, say Australia or Iran, had Sneijder, Van Persie and Robben in front, no matter how shitty the defence they would be considered an underdog or team to watch, I'm certain of that. The Dutch team is not half as good as it has been, but it doesn't suck. De Jong makes a fourth world-class player.

• ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo

I'd just like to point out to gdb, That there best player is still playing andrea pirlo. I don't tnink they will win but Italy are far from being to old.... balotelli, giovinco, de rossi, chiellini, abate, just to name a few.

OG Croatia 1 brazil 0 lmao

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading