Theme Park Discussion / I don't understand.

• Louis!%s's Photo

Perhaps you americans can clarify something for me.

How the FUCK can schlitterbahn's be classed as decent waterparks, let alone be considered to be the 'best in the world' by many people.

I mean seriously, the one that was recently given the Golden Ticket award looks like the worst bloody one of them all (ok maybe not as bad as South Padre, but still), I would say Galveston looked the best of the lot.

I know that I've always considered Wet n Wild Orlando to be basically a car park waterpark, a simple bunch of slides on concrete, but my god, these Schlitterbahns make it look outstanding.

They just look so ghetto.

• Coupon%s's Photo

hey they're still better than the british waterparks though

• Louis!%s's Photo

I'm not debating that lol

I'm trying to work out everyone's fascination with schlitterbahns

• Ling%s's Photo

I've never been to one, but they look nice. I have no idea what the "Golden Ticket" is, though. The only water parks I really like are Wet 'n' Wild in southern California and the one in Las Vegas (although it's pretty tiny).

• MorganFan%s's Photo

Schlitterbahn is just so far apart from all other waterparks in terms of atmosphere. It's built on a hill, it's got the river on the bottom, all the theming, all the trees, everything. It may seem trashy because it is in a party town, but I really think over the years, it has really shaped up. I go pretty often, and from what I can tell, the only thing the park really needs is some better cleaning. There are too many drunk people to leave trash all over that won't get picked up until the end of the day or week. 

But what I really think it comes down to is the old-style feel. It's like it got stuck in the 80s (at least the original part) and to add, it has flume rides, which very few other water parks have (and usually only have one). It's like the old "mom-and-pop" of waterparks. For amusement parks you've got old staples like Kennywood, Blackpool, and Knoebels, but for waterparks, there really isn't much. Schlitterbahn fills a niche that isn't really taken by any other park, and that's what sets it apart from the rest.

/rant

• Louis!%s's Photo

Really though? So far apart from Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach in atmosphere? or the Atlantis waterparks? (In terms of 'best in world')

I've never been to one, I haven't been to a waterpark (unless you count Alton Towers') so I can't really be an excelent judge, but I don't know. I just question how they can be considered the very best in waterparks, particularly when very few of them have decent slides.

• Maverix%s's Photo

From what I can tell, the Golden Tickets seem to be more of a popularity contest than actually finding out which park is best (at least when it comes to the best park/coaster).  Also it seems like it's the Cedar Point of water parks in that they have a TON of slides/ rides which I'm sure helps.

• trav%s's Photo

I haven't been to a waterpark (unless you count Alton Towers')

Not even Blackpool Sandcastle or PortAventura's?!

• Louis!%s's Photo

I can only just about deal with Pleasure Beach, I dread to think what Sandcastle is like.

• trav%s's Photo

Sandcastle is actually decent. Not as clean looking as Alton Towers waterpark but it has some pretty cool slides. Definitely one of the nicer bits of Blackpool.

• Louis!%s's Photo

Its not the quality or cleanliness that bothers me about Blackpool. Its the clientèle lol

• trav%s's Photo

Well, it's mainly the families who visit Sandcastle - the hen parties tend to draw the line at The Big One ;)

• Austin55%s's Photo
    OH NO BITCH YOU DID NOT JUST CALL OUT SCHLITTERBAHN!

They are a lot like Holiday World or Knoebels. Very family and small town feeling. Mostly just the New Braunfels location. The rest are OK. No charm.

Wild Wadi looks like the best but remember the Golden Ticket awards are VERY heavily American biased and also pretty heavily biased towards smaller and more traditional parks and rides.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo

OH NO BITCH YOU DID NOT JUST CALL OUT SCHLITTERBAHN!

same

• Version1%s's Photo

Wild Wadi looks like the best but remember the Golden Ticket awards are VERY heavily American biased and also pretty heavily biased towards smaller and more traditional parks and rides.

Well, Europapark, the second biggest Park in Europe, won best Theme Park this year (after 16 years of Cedar Point)

• Austin55%s's Photo

It's also interesting that Europa is not a park with a big company like Disney/Unversal/Warner/etc behind it. 

• Louis!%s's Photo

Yes but it is run by a massive coaster manufacturer.

• robbie92%s's Photo

tumblr_m8f0uf1WUj1ql5yr7o3_250.gif

Why'd you turn fake on me, Golden Ticket Awards?  I don't understand...

• FredD%s's Photo

Well, Europapark, the second biggest Park in Europe, won best Theme Park this year (after 16 years of Cedar Point)

That was the biggest joke of them all... 

• Version1%s's Photo

That was the biggest joke of them all... 

hm?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading