General Chat / College Thread

• Coupon%s's Photo

i know theres one already, but im too lazy to find it.

where are you guys applying too/where are you going?

any tips/tricks to college admissions?

• Lotte%s's Photo

i won't be applying until next year but it's probably going to be something economic at either Erasmus University Rotterdam or the University of Amsterdam. 

• inthemanual%s's Photo

The big thing that I've seen any time someone asks about admissions is that nobody knows what they did right or wrong to get in. My best advice is to figure out where you're going to be most comfortable, socially, financially, academically, physically.

• RCT2day%s's Photo

^ditto

I just started college 2.5 months ago and I've gotta say, my best advice is not to stress too much because it''ll all work out in the end.  I know that sounds crazy to think as you're submitting apps now and writing a bunch of essays, but trust me.  Just enjoy senior year of high school because it was an incredible year for me and I miss it so much.  But college is awesome so look forward to that.

• csw%s's Photo

Applying to Purdue University, University of Kentucky, and Missouri University of Science & Technology. S&T is pretty much out of the picture, and I'm leaning towards Purdue, but a visit to UK may change that. Planning to study civil engineering with (hopefully) a focus on geology. 

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

im trying to transfer to U of Texas at Austin rn just bc i need an easy way to move

• MorganFan%s's Photo

Last night I applied to:

UT

Purdue

Colorado School of Mines

Vanderbilt

UMN

SMU

and I have:

TAMU

CU Boulder

UC Berkeley

USC

UW

yet to finish.

All for Mechanical Engineering. 2nd choice, Civil. I'm also a little interested in Marketing, so I'm thinking about that for a minor.

• Austin55%s's Photo

I'm just going to work on getting into UTA (Unv. Texas Arlington), it's just so damn convenient for me. 

• Louis!%s's Photo

america sucks

• Ling%s's Photo

you suck

• Louis!%s's Photo

only if you're nice to me ;)

*in b4 lou is gay jokes*

• Steve%s's Photo

Save yourself $40,000 of debt and don't waste your time. Sure, you'll feel accomplished, but a few years after that you'll start wishing half your paycheck for a job you didn't want (but could have gotten without the degree anyway) wasn't going to Sallie Mae and towards your rent instead.

More often than not, college is useless. You can master just about anything by learning something on your own versus a professor telling you how to do it. Unless you want like a degree in law or medicine or something ridiculous like that, I guess. Whatever. I'm bitter.

• Austin55%s's Photo

Steve, I feel the same. I'm still planning on getting a degree, but going the cheapest most efficient route possible. 

I've watched several of my older friends go to a 4 year university, graduate 80k in debt, and go back to being a bartender or whatever they were doing before college. I've seen a few spend some time in the military, go on the GI bill, and then go back to the military. A lot of the ones who have gotten jobs somewhere are high demand/low pay jobs like teachers. 

I'm currently in my 5th semester of community college, taking classes that I both need for basics or are interesting for just like 200$ a semester and I'm really enjoying it honestly. Working on the side to, I refuse to go into debt. Plus I still have plenty of time to hang out or play RCT :)

Obviously this does not apply to everyone. 

Another thing to consider- Trade schools. A/C repairmen, welders, etc make serious money around here. 

• Maverix%s's Photo

UT

Come to UT, we have cookies.  Oh and Dollywood is less than 30 mins away ;)

• Coupon%s's Photo

i think youre thinking of the wrong UT brah

• Maverix%s's Photo

I'm assuming it's Tennessee as he also said he applied to Vandy.  Plus we are the realy UT.

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    Why is everyone talking about Utah?
  • MorganFan%s's Photo

I live in Dallas. So yeah, University of Texas.

• Maverix%s's Photo

Point still valid, U of Tennessee has cookies and Dollywood.

• csw%s's Photo

More often than not, college is useless. You can master just about anything by learning something on your own versus a professor telling you how to do it. Unless you want like a degree in law or medicine or something ridiculous like that, I guess. Whatever. I'm bitter.

I don't get this. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm pretty sure people who don't get a degree can't compete with those who do when it comes to getting a decent job. 

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading