Contests / unofficial contest ideas/suggestions thread

• Version1%s's Photo

Like last time: I would prefer having a contest where I can be a productive competitor but would enjoy watching H2H.

• Stoksy%s's Photo

#TeamBlam!2k15 lol.

As much as I'd love a contest, I think that the later rounds of MM showed that interest will wane after a while. I imagine something like H2H7 would start off with a lot of excitement, but gradually fewer and fewer people would comment/rate/give feedback.

I am more than happy to proven wrong though.

• Louis!%s's Photo

WHY AM I NOT ON ANYBODY'S LIST?

My dream team:

Louis

Louis

Louis

Louis

Louis

Louis

Louis

Louis

Louis

inthemanual

Why all this H2H talk though? Sorry to disappoint anyone, but it takes a while to plan, and right now, time isn't something we have bucket loads of.

We could probably sort something like an NEDC or something.

• Fisch%s's Photo

A contest with a realistic story park setting where you have to develop a small park over the span of lets say 10 years starting in it's opening season.

Each year counts as one round and you get points for where you rank in each round.

The points are then added up in a league table and the table is updated after every round finishes.

Everyone gets the same timeline that tells you what rides are added in which round, but everyone may interpret the newly added attractions in the form they like. You shall not add more than what the timeline says or make the additions bigger than they're intended to be so it stays a fair contest and nobody gets extra points just for building more. 

For example the time line could be:

opening season

Build:

- a small (expandable) parking lot

- an entrance building

- a carousel

- a playground

- a slide

- a small train ride (that could later turn into the park train perhaps?)(you may expand this in any season)

- a shop

- a restroom

- a snack/fast food restaurant

- a pond/creek/river (which can be incorporated in later seasons)

season 2:

Build:

- a boat ride on the pond/lake/river

- a minigolf course

season 3:

Build:

- an old timers drive type ride

- another shop

season 4:

Build:

- a climbing park

- expand the parking lot a bit

season 5:

Build:

- a small gardens section with flowers and 1 sculpture

- a kiddie coaster

- a restaurant by the water

season 6:

Build:

- a ferris wheel

- trampolines

season 7:

Build:

- a little themed area with

......- 1 more shop

......- a café

......- a twister

......- some facades

......- an indoor type attraction like a ghost train

season 8:

Build:

- a pirate ship

- a maze

- expand the parking lot

season 9:

Build:

- a water ride

(optional:

- add something to or renovate the entrance area)

season 10:

Build:

- a coaster

- a small camping section

season 11:

It doesn't have to be an official contest but obviously it could be. I actually like that timeline a lot now that I've wrote it down so I wouldn't mind hosting this contest and starting this week. :D

Anyone interested? What do ya'll think?

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    Take that idea, but rather than pre-deciding on what additions come each round, only decide on a budget for each round. You'd also then have to develop a table of costs for everything "entrance building - $50k, kiddie coaster - $70k, food stall $10k, etc." Renovations would also have some sort of cost associated with them.

This let's people still develop their parks own stories, but keeps content balanced between rounds.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    The whole economy aspect of that is a disaster, we had that at RCT-GUIDE. People had to submit their plans to an admin would give permits, and they had to order from a catalogue. Who would like to play a game like this, bureaucracy tycoon?
  • Louis!%s's Photo

That was how Park Wars worked when it first happened at this site.

It didn't work.

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    Plans? What's wrong with just letting people build things with a check that they're not overspending before the voting goes up?
  • Lotte%s's Photo

Who would like to play a game like this, bureaucracy tycoon?

i bet it would look good on my resume though

• Fisch%s's Photo

Take that idea, but rather than pre-deciding on what additions come each round, only decide on a budget for each round. You'd also then have to develop a table of costs for everything "entrance building - $50k, kiddie coaster - $70k, food stall $10k, etc." Renovations would also have some sort of cost associated with them.

This let's people still develop their parks own stories, but keeps content balanced between rounds.

I thought of that before posting but came to the exact same conclusion as Liam. It's happened before and people lose interest because it's too difficult.

Also it's easier to compare the parks and rank people if there's the same timeline for everyone.

I also thought about whether to post the full list of what happens each season or whether to just post one year at a time. But posting the full list at once lets people plan their parks ahead and take future plans into consideration when they decide upon where they build stuff this season or how they build it. You have to be aware of what you want to do at least in the next couple of seasons so it all comes together in the end.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

I want that competition where you build on someone else's park! I can never remember what its called though, I definitely asked about it last page too :p

the h2h talk started with me, I was just thinking about people I want to work with and wrote it down. hint hint

• Fisch%s's Photo

So who would be down?

That was how Park Wars worked when it first happened at this site.

It didn't work.

Was this a response to inthemanual or me?

• Louis!%s's Photo

It was a general response to the both of you.

A timeline park contest has taken place successfully at several sites. Currently thenewblock.nl is running one.

At NE though, they don't tend to go down well. The first Parkwars was involving money etc, and it didn't last too long, the last iteration of it, just building a timeline park started by RRP, also didn't last too long.

I don't know what it is, they just don't work at NE very well. I think it is because they tend to be long and drawn out contests. But its a decent suggestion nonetheless. We'll take it on board.

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    if not h2h, i really like fisch's idea.
  • Fisch%s's Photo
    It doesn't have to be an official contest but obviously it could be. I actually like that timeline a lot now that I've wrote it down so I wouldn't mind hosting this contest and starting this week. :D

Anyone interested? What do ya'll think?

As I said it doesn't have to be an official contest for me at all. For me personally right now is the first time in ages that I've got the time and feel inspired to build something. So I definitely will try to get this thing going. If in the end only 2-3 people are interested then so be it, at least we'll get 2-3 new parks. But I'm pretty confident that this could turn out well.

I will create a new topic in a little bit but signups are basically already open!

• Xeccah%s's Photo

As I said it doesn't have to be an official contest for me at all. For me personally right now is the first time in ages that I've got the time and feel inspired to build something. So I definitely will try to get this thing going. If in the end only 2-3 people are interested then so be it, at least we'll get 2-3 new parks. But I'm pretty confident that this could turn out well.

I will create a new topic in a little bit but signups are basically already open!

wait until after awards before you start with this, man
  • Fisch%s's Photo

Alright sure.

• pierrot%s's Photo
    ][ntamin22' timestamp='1423620432' post='650178']

my dream team is six clones of pierrot, FK, Mantis, Ozone, and Milo.

haha thats literally invincible.

• Scoop%s's Photo

Hey everyone I was wondering when the next contest will be if there are any and what is in the works for ne as a whole?

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

Another NEDC could be cool. I enjoyed it where everyone had the same layout. Could do something similar with either the same layout, same theme, etc etc. Could be cool just to see the different interpretations of a theme, ie a "castle" theme. They would all be so different. Many the same, surely, with grey brick and turrets and whatever, but some would just be so out there yet still fall under that theme.

Probably just wishful thinking, but it could be cool, even if it were just to be a small contest/challenge.

I really like this idea. Same layout themed however you want to, on a smaller map. I'd be game for that this winter/spring. Maybe even construct it into a contest, where the top 50% of the players go into a 2nd round. A month each round. I don't know exactly, just some thoughts.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading