General Chat / Girls at nedesigns / NE and real life

• Milo%s's Photo
    [ntamin22' timestamp='1423089396' post='649700']

Milo-

If I'm understanding your points correctly here, I'm pretty much in agreement that the NE culture is one that puts your work first and judges you on that regardless of any other demographic criteria - that is to say, not much wrong.  

I'd like to suggest that part of giving everybody the same brand of trademark mildly-scornful NE treatment is not dismissing them before they even have a chance to submit work, and that it is never too late to do a self-checkup and make sure we aren't building artificially higher barriers on top of our already-formidable built-in ones.  That basically means not assuming no girls are interested and being careful to maintain our obnoxiously stringent standards equally.

also -fuck, where do I get an LLLL shirt?

I'd say your understanding is good. The phrase I had in my head while typing was 'merit based'. Which isn't something about NE that I have a problem with.

I won't say it hasn't happened but how many women have been dismissed before given the chance? In fact, I'm sure it has happened as fellow members of the broader rct community have distanced themselves from NE because of our culture, which probably included some female rct players. I think as a community we've often done a gut check when it comes to our relation with other rct sites and most of the membership have been ok with the consequences. I don't think NE needs to be gutted and reformed just because we've taken a look around and realized it's a sausage fest... which nobody has suggested at this time but I personally wouldn't like to see it go down that road.

The LLLL shirts are special order.

In regards to the Dating thread, which has been brought up a few times, I think it's worth noting that NE has been mostly men for so long that I think Darren was comfortable bringing up a topic like dating in the same way a group of guys would outside of an online community. I can't speak for each individual post but I'm sure it runs the range of good post/bad post/ good intentions but bad wording/ troll post/ offcolor jokes etc. But since it was a bunch of guys talking, I'm not surprised the reaction someone's girlfriend would have reading that is not a positive one. I'm just not sure what the course of action would be other than putting a muzzle on the community regarding certain topics because a future person, of any gender, might have an issue with it.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    I also want an llll shirt please

I showed my disneyearth park to a friend of mine a couple months ago. He really didnt get it, which sort of dissapointed me. Id love to show my friends what i spend my time doing or thinking about but i think its so niche that it just doesnt make sense to them.

I actually now realize writing this that i probably use rct as a sort of introverted recharging tool, to just escape other people and stuff for a couple hours and relax. So it always made sense to me subconsciously to separate it from my social life.
  • inthemanual%s's Photo

When I want to impress people with RCT I show them Swoon. Casuals get wowed by it, because it's so unknown. My own work, and most of the realistic stuff on the site doesn't have a dramatic fanfare. An outsider can't really tell how much went into it.

Also, I can agree that we don't actively push out girls. If we know a player is a girl, we tend to be more accepting, maybe a bit nicer, and generally aren't intentionally offensive towards them. What I think we may have a problem with is passive sexism. Things we probably aren't even aware that we're doing. K0ng was definitely guilty of this, and I'm sure many others are to some extent as well. Subtle comments that make this seem like a boys club. Words like "ballsy" being good and "cute" often being used derogatorily. Things like that may push girls away from not just our culture here at NE, but also from gaming culture in general. 

• csw%s's Photo

I think Dave has hit the nail on the head. As said before, NE is a very niche community, so it's not surprising that we only get females that are interested in RCT in the "NE way" once in a blue moon.

Concerning the forum being welcoming to females: I know I try to filter my usage of swear words, and even though it might not seem like a big deal, I know excessive swearing turns me off from a lot of people. The point being, even the smallest things can seem unattractive to a potential new member of NE, female or not. 

• Louis!%s's Photo

Fuck girls

• Steve%s's Photo

This is the most boring thread I have ever read in my entire twelve years of being a member here.

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    NEdesigns, the #1 rct-related dating site. kumba can vouch
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Steve tell us a good story

• Kumba%s's Photo

I was just at lunch with a girl I am seeing and I was talking about games I played as a kid and mentioned sim city, Oregon trail and the sims. I didn't even mention RCT since I was older when I really started to play, but she said she played RCT and RCT2 for years as a kid (she's 26). She doe not play now tho. I know other girls that have played too. It was a really popular game, just females tend not to get into games as much so that's why we almost never have young women show up and post here.

Emergo is the most noteable female player by far, but there was also Becky and Mama Bear. Dasiy was a 20-something RCT player that posted a little. I think there was an annoying female member called whitefrog. Way back when, there were a few others and once even before I had an account there was a fake female account git made and even had a fake AIM for and he was trying to get iris to flirt with her/him, which was pretty hilarious.

• posix%s's Photo

I never knew those were girls. I remember someone called "Susanne". And I remember the first female member to post on NE1 or 2, who had an ID called something like "RCT+<female name>".

They usually made a big deal out of being the only girl among so many guys, and that turned into long annoying debates.

I also remember this fad when people suddenly began putting half-naked women in their avatars and signatures. The whole forum was full of boobs and ass, covered by marginal amounts of bikini...

• Faas%s's Photo

I was hanging out with a girl I've been dating the last few weeks this week in a bar and told her about my RCT habits and adventures. She cried laughing. It might be a bit shameful to tell to new people you meet, but after all it's just a hobby you have, among other hobbies (I hope). Sometimes it can even be pretty fun and enlightning to tell (new) people embarassing stuff. The same girl from the first part of this post also told me about her irrational (but real) fear of the stems that grow out of potatoes when you leave them laying around in your kitchen for too long. 

Tl;dr: Tell people you like about your hobbies, so also RCT. If they ultimately don't like you for it, fuck them. If their initial reaction is to laugh at you, laugh with them. 

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I must try that sometime. For people I don't know very long, I always tell only one weird thing/hobby about myself, and usually that is how I keep an super extensive excel sheet to keep track of my film hobby. So next time I might try RCT, and not the excel nerdism. Long live Tinder. Low-risk conversations, away from your own social network!
  • MCI%s's Photo

I dont keep any secrets about me playing rct2 (how could I, having a freaking youtube-channel) or loving roller-coasters / themeparks.

That said, if you look at our (rct2germany´s) youtube-statistics, 3.1% of our audience are female wich would be around 17 persons in total. I dont know how many guys are registred as females on youtube, but I can confirm at least ONE active female member of the rct2germany community. She doesn´t build often, but she did and she´s very active on our youtube-channel.

Expect from her, I´ve never came across a female rct player/gamer at all. (Expect those few "celebrities in the esport-scene and reading about the "boobcam-girls")

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Well I was reminded yesterday that the German RCT community has actually produced a playboy model. We had one girl at the Dutch forums and she was average looking at best. A fucking playmate. In an RCT community.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo

fairly sure NE is less diverse than al Qaeda 

• Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

Ironically enough, a group of dudes talking about why they think women participate in an activity is a pretty good way to exclude future women from participating in that activity.  Of note, the only girl that participated in this thread did so because her boyfriend posted her thoughts here, presumably with her permission, but certainly not by her own intent.

Yes, I called her a 'girl' specifically because it annoyed her.  I am the reason no girls post here.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading