Custom Scenery Exchange / Custom Rides by X7123M3-256

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

The bug is that the loading position structs haven't been populated, so peeps frequently walk off the end of the platform instead of walking to their car.

I know that releasing conflicting files is going to cause problems if not everybody gets the update, and the Intamin Wing Coaster especially was released two months ago, so I have no idea how many people might have it. I could release them with a different name, which I would do if there were changes to the sprites, but because they're buggy I feel it's better just to deprecate the old versions.

If the rides are included as packed objects, they will still open correctly even when the updated version is installed - this doesn't seem to cause conflict. The problem comes when you try to open a park that uses the old versions but doesn't pack them - that park will fail to open.

You can update the rides in an already completed park with parkdat - I've done this several times already and it seems to work as long as it's a new version of the same ride and not a completely different one.

The main problem with releasing them using a different name is that they will appear identical in the ride selection window, so people who aren't using OpenRCT2 (which displays the DAT name in the selection) will have no way to tell which is the new one. The second problem is that some of the filenames are already 8 characters long and there's no room for a version number.

I had the idea of trying to get the checksum of the new files to match the old ones - that's the only way to have the game treat the old and new files as the same ride so it doesn't care which is installed. Then I could release new files under the same name, but without breaking old parks. The checksum algorithm is fairly simple - it might be possible to break it and add the capability to match an arbitrary checksum as a feature That would certainly be useful - this is now the third time I've had to release an update. This would also open up the possibility of replacing the default rides with my own versions.

I don't have fixed versions of the files yet, so I've taken the download links down (or rather, commented them out so they don't show up). I'll come to a final decision on whether to change the names when the files are ready, but ideally I'd prefer it if people stoppped using the old files.

Also, do you know if there's a way to delete a post on here, or change the title? I'd like to delete or edit that post I made about the dive coaster, because you said I should have one thread for all the rides, and it's kind of awkward having one thread for the dive trains and another for all the others.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

OK, I've finished updating all the rides on the website. I have corrected the issue with the peep loading, so peeps now line up correctly with the trains before boarding. I have also fixed a problem with the ride names not showing in ParkDat, which was caused by not providing US English strings.

The checksums of the new files are identical to those of the old, so they should be interchangable. You should be able to load saves created with the old files with the new versions, and vice-versa. You shouldn't have to update the save with ParkDat first, as was required last time there was an update. If you find this isn't the case, I'd like to know so I can try and fix it.

• Sephiroth%s's Photo

Outstanding. If you keep making things like this your name will forever be etched into the annals of RCT history.

• 5dave%s's Photo
    It would be etched more easily if his name wasn't X4564asdf456, though! ;-)

"MFG"
  • Ling%s's Photo

What about X712? That's memorable. :p

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

My new animation system is nearly ready:

TeOHhs1.png

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

Sweet! Awesome work.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Just tested it in game. This system will make many more rides possible, and it's far less tedious to work with than the old system. I'm planning to do an S&S free fly to try it out - that wasn't possible with the old animation code.

• In:Cities%s's Photo

This is so sick. Please keep up the amazing work. Pleasure to have you here my man.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Great shit. Is it possibly to make a darkride system with rotating cars, like a 4D coaster? That would be sooo sweet.
  • X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Yes, probably, though I can't be sure until I've done it because there can always be surprises. The main question here is whether it could be made to run on anything other than 4D track - I suspect that it might not be able to, because if nothing else the rotation angle doesn't show on other track styles, which is seriously limiting because that isn't a common track design outside of Arrow/Vekoma rides.

See this reddit thread for a more in depth discussion on a similar ride.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Well, I'm giving up on the free fly for now because I can't get the images to line up right. I'll do a B&M wing coaster instead. It's not as good as a test of the animation system because it doesn't do anything I couldn't do before, and I know it's already been done, but I have better images for it and that's the dominant factor right now.

• Version1%s's Photo

I'm just gonna post a List of Trains I would like to see ingame, minus some that you already turned down, plus the track I would recommend:

-Maurer Söhne X-Car (Twister Track)

-Mack Mega Coaster (Giga Track)

-Mack YoungGeneration (I think Looping Coaster would be the best, despite the Looping)

-Mack Spinning Coaster (Giga Track)

-B&M Reverse Inverted (Inverted Twister Track)

-KumbaK Vekoma Trains (Corcscrew Track)

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Alright, I'll go through and list which of those are possible.

Maurer X-car : Maybe possible - Twister track is not a close match. Looping track is better but missing in elements. You could argue that a short layout with only a loop is still potentially realistic, but I'd prefer a few more inversions for a ride type like this. The sky loop is impossible without a new operating mode - I cannot have the train pass the station and then fall back down the lift like those rides do.

The Mack mega coaster and spinning coaster are definitely possible. I can choose which track sections will be available, so having it on a track style that has too many elements is not a problem (This is why the hyper coaster doesn't allow inversions, and the corkscrew coaster doesn't allow steep to flat, even though both rides use the same track style). However, I think the giga track is a closer match - all the newer Mack spinning coasters use triple rail track, it's only Euro-Mir that doesn't. I *can* make two different track styles available, but I normally avoid it because it would show as two different versions of the ride, and only one of them has the right track style. I could do possibly do it here though, because this is a ride that actually has two different track styles IRL. The spinning coaster cannot have real spinning (for some absurd reason spinning rides in RCT2 cannot have sloped turns).

The B&M reverse inverted is definitely possible and doesn't actually require me to render new sprites - however, I don't like the inverted trains in game because they're missing the wheel covers, so if I do this I'll probably also redo the existing B&M invert. Newer style inverted trains (i.e Banshee) are also possible.

The Mack YoungGeneration and Vekoma KumbaK trains I've not heard of. Could you provide a link or an example of those types of ride? Tried Mack and Vekoma's website, couldn't find them.

EDIT: Decided to do some more research to see if I could find schematics of any of these rides - which is currently by far the most important factor influencing the time required for modelling. I can't find anything for the X car or Mack spinning coasters, but I did find a side view of the Mack mega coaster. Also, the Mack mega coaster and Mack launched coaster run the same trains, which would make that particular train more useful.

I found B&M's patent for the inverted coaster, and it has two schematics. They're not that detailed but appear to be correct, and two angles is much easier to model from than one. However, it is still a ride that's in the game, and those wheel covers present a problem - if they don't render in front of the track at all times, the ride will look awful (my existing rides all have wheels that sometimes render behind the track, but this isn't a severe problem because they're small and hard to see).

• Version1%s's Photo

I was wrong, it's called YoungStar Coaster: http://www.mack-ride...erie/index.html

It would be difficult to do, because they theme it specifically for the parks.

I did a mistake in terms of the KumbaK Trains as well. Turns out they aren't on python in efteling anymore. I meant these new Vekoma Trains:

http://www.coasterfr...nde-python1.jpg

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Every train is themed? That's going to be hard to do, since I have to make the trains as generic as possible - in addition, all junior coasters pretty much look identical regardless of manufacturer. It might be worth doing a custom junior coaster though just to put it on mini coaster track. They're very similar track styles, but the mini coaster track has many more pieces.

The Vekoma looping trains are definitely possible but not particularly interesting. Vekoma layouts tend to be clones, which means they're not really much fun to design.

• 5dave%s's Photo

I think a mini coaster like the log/ladybug cars with longer trains on the Mini coaster track would be great, because they only have the Schwarzkopf automobile/bob coaster trains which are short...

"MFG"

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

I can't put the existing log/ladybug cars on that track, they don't have the sprites. I'd have to do a new coaster. I'd need to find a junior coaster that does have generic trains to do  - I wouldn't do that Mack one because I don't know what a generic version would look like.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Could somebody who doesn't use OpenRCT2 please download this savegame, and see if they can open it?

• Stoksy%s's Photo

^I can open it. Works fine :)

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading