General Chat / 2015 in film

• GammaZero%s's Photo

The Theory of Everything: Charming biopic with good performances. Sadly, not much happening in the movie. 7/10
    The Theory of Everything: Another Biopic, but this time with a little bit more content. Great performances. 8/10

umm
  • Version1%s's Photo

Fixed

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Dunno I just couldn't get into it. The characters weren't really interesting or introduced in any way to make you care about them. There was an obscene amount of product/brand placement which seemed to be part of the concept, but was done poorly. I wasn't sure if it was a comedy/pastiche in places because parts of it were so camp. The macho guy riding a motorbike surrounded by his raptor bros comes to mind. Not like fun cheesy though, it was just a bit wank.

This is not a weird thing to say. Jurassic World is a pretty horrible movie, but in my opinion it's self-referential enough to not come off as dumb. Mostly Jake Johnson's character is to commend for that. They seem to know about some bad plot points, characters and the ridiculous amount of product placement. They simply don't care because it's a popcorn blockbuster that mainly just tries to enjoy you for 2 hours.

I myself enjoyed it enough for Chris Pratt and dinosaurs already.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I saw one of the worst movies of the year yesterday: Michiel de Ruyter. Dutch historical adventure with one of the biggest budgets in Dutch cinema history. Big cast, big naval battles, sets, costumes, epic scores, a story with A LOT of potential, but they hired a fucking B movie director (literally) and shitty writers. The movie had so much potential, but it's a chaotic fake childish mess. So sad.
    5.0/10
  • Lotte%s's Photo

The real mistake here is you thinking the dutch movie industry could produce anything good

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I know that's the popular thing to say, but it's bullshit. There's plenty of talent here, and there have been plenty of good films from The Netherlands. Have you seen The Vanishing yet?
  • Lotte%s's Photo
     The Vanishing yet?

I have, sadly

• Liampie%s's Photo
    What didn't you like about it?
  • nin%s's Photo

Jurassic World 10000000BC/10

this is why we're friends. 
  • Version1%s's Photo

Ant-Man: 9/10

Funniest Marvel Movie yet, very well done

• nin%s's Photo

Ant-Man is by far one of the better Marvel movies as of late. I was expecting another relatively lackluster film after being disappointed by Age of Ultron and Guardians, but this reaffirmed the fact that Marvel actually knows what they're doing. The small-scale (zing?) feel of the movie compared to those team flicks really helped and made for a more solid movie, with the bits of humor of Edgar Wright's influence bringing it together nicely. It was very much inline with b-movies and heist films from the 1960's, almost like it was straight out of a comic book from that time (which is partially what is was, I suppose). Bits of it reminded me of The Rocketeer, others of 2001. It was my kind of film and I'll probably go see it again.

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

It Follows was a really lovely film. dont remember if Selma was his year or last year, but, its good so

• MorganFan%s's Photo

I still need to see It Follows. It looks really cool and could be one of the best horror films of the 2000s.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Ant-Man is by far one of the better Marvel movies as of late. I was expecting another relatively lackluster film after being disappointed by Age of Ultron and Guardians, but this reaffirmed the fact that Marvel actually knows what they're doing. The small-scale (zing?) feel of the movie compared to those team flicks really helped and made for a more solid movie, with the bits of humor of Edgar Wright's influence bringing it together nicely. It was very much inline with b-movies and heist films from the 1960's, almost like it was straight out of a comic book from that time (which is partially what is was, I suppose). Bits of it reminded me of The Rocketeer, others of 2001. It was my kind of film and I'll probably go see it again.

Couldn't agree more. I also really loved how they crossed this over with other marvel films. So much better than just mentioning the existence of the avengers or even worse just one other character. With arguably the most fitting tease at the end of their movies. Finally a post-credit that's both relevant to this film and the teased film.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    List update! The list is taking shape now. I used Dutch release dates, hence why movies like Imitation Game and American Sniper are making my list. New additions in italics.

1. 8.4/10 - Inside Out (very fun and creative. As I hoped, a return to form for Pixar)
    2. 8.3/10 - Sicario (Super beautiful, well done and intense. Ultra-intense.)

3. 8.3/10 - Mad Max: Fury Road (Excellent, rating may rise after more viewings)
    4. 7.8/10 - Ex Machina (Great stuff, very interesting, atmopsheric and intense (though not as intense as Sicario))
    5. 7.7/10 - Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (The long takes and the drumming added a lot of energy to this film)

6. 7.5/10 - The Imitation Game (Not that amazing)
    7. 7.4/10 - Shaun the Sheep Movie (This is absolutely hilariously, I laughed out loud multiple times, alone.)
    8. 7.4/10 - Kingsman: The Secret Service (Great entertainment)
    9. 7.3/10 The Martian (Loved the science and visuals. Story was very safe. Nothing mindblowing.)
    10. 7.3/10 The Theory of Everything (Very safe...)

7.2/10 - American Sniper (Well done, and intense)
    7.0/10 - Suite Française (Not very memorable, but very solid)
    6.9/10 - Chappie (Not as bad as some people make it out to be, it's definitely an interesting movie, with some surprising laugh-out-loud moments)
    6.8/10 - The Woman in Gold (One sided look at restitution of stolen nazi art, interesting look at social complexity in Austria.
    6.6/10 The Intern (Very effective feel-good movie, much more sincere than for example Chef.)
    6.4/10 Dope (Looks like a 'white people are racist!!!!' movie, but it's actually not about race, thank god. I liked it. Some tragedy and some comedy)
    6.3/10 Paper Towns (typical high school movie with pretentious pseudo-intellectual teenage crap. Apart from that, it's quite alright admittedly)
    6.0/10 Ant-Man (same old Marvel crap. But this was the first movie that I think was visually interesting. Humour was above average for Marvel.)

5.8/10 - Mortdecai (Tries too hard. Result is underwhelming)
    5.7/10 The Age of Adaline (Very hollow and dull movie. This was a movie about nothing. But god damn, didn't Blake Lively's presence compensate for its flaws? What a godess)

5.5/10 Entourage (a very long tv-episode, not a movie. Again a movie about nothing. But I did laugh a bit, so okay)

5.5/10 - Get Hard (Shitty movie, but admittedly funny too)
    5.5/10 - Big Hero 6 (More of the same Disney-Marvel cliche fake sentiments shit)
    5.5/10 - Homies (Dutch comedy ripping off Snatch)
    5.3/10 Trainwreck (I didn't expect a chick flick. It was a chick flick)
    5.3/10 - The Longest Ride (Movie written by and for romance-horny women)
    5.0/10 The DUFF (another copy-paste highschool bullshit film, but without many redeeming factors)
    5.0/10 - San Andreas (Movie about a American heroism and a disaster is a disaster itself, though the effects stand out positively)
    5.0/10 - Tracers (load of crap)
    4.7/10 Vacation (If you make a million jokes, there's always a few that you will like. So I laughed quite a bit. But god, wasn't it an awful movie overall?)

4.2/10 - The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death (uncreative excuse for a series of cheap jump scares)
    4.0/10 - Minions (This makes Vacation look like a Kubrick or Bergman masterpiece. If farts make you laugh you might like this movie)

Upcoming stuff/stuff I still have to see:
    - Star Wars Episode VII (high expectations)
    - Steve Jobs
    - Spectre
    - The Good Dinosaur (high expectations)
    - The Walk
    - Jurassic World
    - Bridge of Spies
    - Southpaw
    - Foxcatcher
    - Everest
    - Straight Outta Compton
    - Macbeth
    - The Gift
    - In The Heart of the See (high expectations)
  • G Force%s's Photo

Chapppie was fucking awful, how can you possibly put that above any new marvel movie.  Blomkamp should have stopped directing after Elysium, District 9 was obviously a fluke after seeing his last two movies.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Liam, I know it's impossible to see it in IMAX but try to see the Walk in a movie theater at least. It's one of those movies that won't be nearly as good on your television / computer screen. The last half hour of the walk was probably my best movie-viewing experience in a cinema.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Don't worry chork, I will. I try to watch all new movies in the cinema. I live ten minutes (walking) from Leidseplein now so it has just become much easier for me to go see a movie. Today I decided to go see The Martian 25 minutes before it started, while I was only wearing my underpants. That easy.

G Force, don't you think it was much more original and unique compared to the marvel movies? I'm not saying Chappie was a masterpiece in that regard, it wasn't, but it easily beats any Marvel movie in my opinion. Marvel is the same shit every time. So predictable. I feel like what people disliked most about Chappie were the weird characters and shit.
  • G Force%s's Photo

G Force, don't you think it was much more original and unique compared to the marvel movies? I'm not saying Chappie was a masterpiece in that regard, it wasn't, but it easily beats any Marvel movie in my opinion. Marvel is the same shit every time. So predictable. I feel like what people disliked most about Chappie were the weird characters and shit.

Yes Marvel is formulaic when it comes to their films, but to be honest the formula isn't broken or a anywhere near it. They aren't the most unique, but I don't think films should be rated based on uniqueness, especially something like this. The movies change at least enough when it comes to characters and setting or even plot points that the rest is forgivable. I mean, what are you going to do with some of these hero's? Make an experimental musical? If you view each film in a vacuum they are all quite good in my opinion, the Iron Man films are definitely the best however.

When it comes to Chappie, two major things are lacking. Someone to either relate with or root for, and consistent character motivation and logic. Almost all of the characters are horrible people, now this would be fine if their motivation was at least somewhat relatable or even existed. It felt like Hue Jackman's character was simply evil for no reason right off the bat, same goes for the character who wants to make Chappie a ganster or whatever they call it.

The plot has just as many problems, things happen for no reason, everything is ripped off from other movies, the acting is pretty terrible, even Hue Jackman's. Heck there is even a scene when he pulls a gun out in an office and no one seems to care. The overall message seems kind of childish and simple as well, rich vs poor, people vs law, humans vs technology, all things that have been done to death and better.

The only thing the film has to offer are flashy visuals, but almost every film has that now.
  • G Force%s's Photo

Yes Marvel is formulaic when it comes to their films, but to be honest the formula isn't broken or a anywhere near it. They aren't the most unique, but I don't think films should be rated based on uniqueness, especially something like this. The movies change at least enough when it comes to characters and setting or even plot points that the rest is forgivable. I mean, what are you going to do with some of these hero's? Make an experimental musical? If you view each film in a vacuum they are all quite good in my opinion, the Iron Man films are definitely the best however.

When it comes to Chappie, two major things are lacking. Someone to either relate with or root for, and consistent character motivation and logic. Almost all of the characters are horrible people, now this would be fine if their motivation was at least somewhat relatable or even existed. It felt like Hue Jackman's character was simply evil for no reason right off the bat, same goes for the character who wants to make Chappie a ganster or whatever they call it.

The plot has just as many problems, things happen for no reason, everything is ripped off from other movies, the acting is pretty terrible, even Hue Jackman's. Heck there is even a scene when he pulls a gun out in an office and no one seems to care. The overall message seems kind of childish and simple as well, rich vs poor, people vs law, humans vs technology, all things that have been done to death and better.

The only thing the film has to offer are flashy visuals, but almost every film has that now.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading