General Chat / Reddit drama

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    So a few weeks ago, reddit administration removed r/fatpeoplehate and started to remove other boards that were considered offensive. AMAS as well have seen trouble due to new management. Other subreddits were temporarily locked like r/pumas terrace and whatnot. Some redditors are pissed at the new mentality, claiming that it hinders free speech that reddit once held important: a lot of these people migrated to voat.co as a result.

Now new rules for content are being enacted, and some are skeptical of the vagueness of the "nothing harming the reputation of others" rule.

There's now r/subredditdramadrama up to r/subredditdramax7
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Is it time for more popcorn already? I'm still not finished digesting the popcorn from the Pao thing.
  • Casimir%s's Photo

For those out of the loop:

Management is trying its hardest to monetize the site. Same as always.

Liam: Fun Fact - Pao apparently kind of tried to hold off some major changes, at least according to one former admin. It is indeed popcorn time.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Is it time for more popcorn already? I'm still not finished digesting the popcorn from the Pao thing.

This is the Pao thing.  
  • Ling%s's Photo

Yeah, the takedown announcement (on the original subreddits) was posted by Pao so everyone assumed she was spear-heading it. Turns out it was ordered by some board of directors (or investors or whoever the hell is really in charge) and Pao tried to stop it. Pretty fucked up considering the amount of nasty shit that has been posted about her in the past few weeks. I don't really care one way or the other - I never jumped on the "murder Ellen Pao and her family" bandwagon, which a lot of people I think were rightly banned over, but maybe discussing it more before the fact would have saved a lot of confusion and vitriol.

But I agree on the popcorn, Reddit drama is in overdrive lately. It's getting a little wearisome. Thankfully most of the subreddits I browse are pretty far removed from the "major happenings". /r/buildapc, /r/Android, /r/gamingpc, /r/games, /r/rct, /r/starcraft, etc.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading