Ask the Experts / Make a rowing boat act like a rollercoaster at a drop?

• Lilith%s's Photo

Basically, I need a boat to fall over an edge at a certain point but if i just set the train type to rowing boat it only falls at 10mph. I tried powered launch but it immediately slows back down to 10mph. What is the best way to make this work?

• csw%s's Photo

Try water coaster boats. 

• Lilith%s's Photo
    I was thinking that for my last resort if I can't make it work with rowing boats. Would I be able to eliminate the sound of the coaster if I did that?
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    Maybe a chain can speed it up? Try toggle chain in 8cars using the section of track you're using for the drop
  • Lilith%s's Photo

A chain does speed it up but I can't seem to get toggle chain to work. I'm using Windows 7, could that be an issue?

• CHE%s's Photo

Make sure you use 8cars Version 1.32 and have Color Scheme "Main" selected (or color the part of the ride you want to toggle and select "Alternative"). Should work with Win 7

• alex%s's Photo

You can make a log flume act like a coaster using a shoestring hack - http://www.nedesigns...tring-tutorial/

Maybe it's the same with a rowing boat?  Looks mega complex though...

• Lilith%s's Photo

Very interesting, that will definitely be useful to me at some point but I don't think it will work for this since rowing boats don't have trains with multiple boats.

And I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with the toggle chain because I'm doing that but nothing happens... I'm also having problems with making entrance/exit huts invisible so I don't know if the problem is RCT2 or me.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo
    I know you're probably looking for a trainer based solution, and I can't help you with that, but I would point out that most of what you've asked about can be achieved with a modified DAT. You could remove the friction/change the speed on the rowing boats, change sound effects on the water coaster, or increase the number of cars per train (though I think you have to have a complete circuit if you do that - not sure though, as I've not tested it). The downside of this method is that you now have a random DAT sitting on your computer that's only used for one ride.
  • Lilith%s's Photo

Well that definitely is a possibility if I can't make this chain lift thing work. How would I go about doing that?

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo
    The easiest way is to decode an existing DAT file, change the desired values, and then encode it again with a different name. I would have suggested using Buggy's ridemaker to do this, but it has a bug that makes tracked rides unexportable.Here is the code that I use to do this. object_load_dat will decode a DAT into a structure of type object_t, and object_save_dat writes it back out again with a specified name and checksum.

The car structures begin at offset 26 in the encoded data chunk. There are four of them, but AFAIK the rowing boats only uses the first one. The friction value is a two byte quantity starting at byte 8 in the car structure. The higher you set it, the lower the friction will be. For powered rides like the rowing boats, the speed is a two byte quantity starting at byte 91 in the car structures. Byte 20 in the car structure has bit 0x08 set to indicate the ride is powered - unsetting that causes the ride to behave like a coaster. Byte 87 is the primary sound effect and byte 97 is the secondary sound (like screams etc). Bytes 15 and 16 are the minimum and maximum train length (but there are some caveats to this - increasing the maximum does not always work, but increasing the minimum always will). If you use the above code, all these properties have names so it should be fairly clear. If you are using another tool, you may have to manually calculate the offsets into the file to determine what bytes to edit.
  • Roomie%s's Photo

You can make a log flume act like a coaster using a shoestring hack - http://www.nedesigns...tring-tutorial/

Maybe it's the same with a rowing boat?  Looks mega complex though...

Just to say that this wouldnt work with a rowing boat. Only reason it works with the log flume car is because a reverser section on the log flume changes the car into a log flume boat. :(

• Lilith%s's Photo
    I figured I couldnt. Damn, I could've done some cool things with that. Anyone have any ideas as to why the issue could be with toggle chain?
  • Levis%s's Photo

The easiest way is to decode an existing DAT file, change the desired values, and then encode it again with a different name. I would have suggested using Buggy's ridemaker to do this, but it has a bug that makes tracked rides unexportable.Here is the code that I use to do this. object_load_dat will decode a DAT into a structure of type object_t, and object_save_dat writes it back out again with a specified name and checksum.

The car structures begin at offset 26 in the encoded data chunk. There are four of them, but AFAIK the rowing boats only uses the first one. The friction value is a two byte quantity starting at byte 8 in the car structure. The higher you set it, the lower the friction will be. For powered rides like the rowing boats, the speed is a two byte quantity starting at byte 91 in the car structures. Byte 20 in the car structure has bit 0x08 set to indicate the ride is powered - unsetting that causes the ride to behave like a coaster. Byte 87 is the primary sound effect and byte 97 is the secondary sound (like screams etc). Bytes 15 and 16 are the minimum and maximum train length (but there are some caveats to this - increasing the maximum does not always work, but increasing the minimum always will). If you use the above code, all these properties have names so it should be fairly clear. If you are using another tool, you may have to manually calculate the offsets into the file to determine what bytes to edit.

Uhm you know there is a ridemaker to do this right?

Sorry for the necropost. 

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading