General Chat / Spoilers (no spoilers in the thread)

• F0ndue%s's Photo
    So, it may be a bit awkward to ask this, but how do you deal with spoilers, and what do you do to avoid them?

I'm the type of person that is very invested in stories, however in the last months whenever something big was released, be it a game or a movie I was always spoiled within the first 72 hours after the release. Not because I was actively seeking these spoilers (I tend to avoid anything related to the story like hell around the release), but because the internet is flooded with assholes who try to ruin everything and post pictures with major spoilers everwhere. And it keeps happening more often with each release. I feel like this will not get better, and at this point I am hesitant to even get excited for any kind of story anymore. It is quite depressing as you'd imagine, so what do you do, when you've been spoiled. How do you go on with enjoying it anyways?
  • Disney Imagineer%s's Photo

I usually just plug my ears right before the person can spoil, then walk around in a circle making the "la la la la la" sound with my tongue until they shut the hell up.

Then kick 'em in the balls. Just cause.

• F0ndue%s's Photo
    If kicking people in the balls via internet was possible I already would've commited genocide via ensuring that there will be no more means for reproduction. Alas, it does not work like that. I have a bunch of spoiler filters in my browser, but sadly they cannot detct these pictures.
    I bet you could make a lot of money with a spoiler filter with an integrated flagging tool. Whenever a user would stumble upon a spoiler he'd flag it so other users are safe. Of course it only works when enough people actively use it.
    Anybody wanna do a start-up?
  • Disney Imagineer%s's Photo

But seriously, the last time I can remember anyone spoiling anything for me was Jurassic World. One of my best friends from work is a total tomboy, and she was bursting at the seams to tell me what happened at the very end of the film. She literally would not shut up about it, so I just let her do it. Now I have no desire to see Jurassic World because I know what happens.

original_42230373.jpg?1441224162

You can use the

Spoiler
    It will hide what could be spoiling.

• F0ndue%s's Photo
    Not intending to spoil somebody anyways. I do not perpetuate the cruelty that was commited against me. As for Jurassic World, it was ok, but utterly predictable.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

if ur work can't survive being spoiled then ur shit at storytelling

• F0ndue%s's Photo
    Well, that seems like a lazy argument to me. I already said that I do care a lot about the story, and whilst I am confident that it has many things going for it (art-design, animation), we most of all watch mvies because of their stories.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Just avoid asshole-infested places... My internet experience is very spoiler-free because of that. The risky communities are probably shitty anyway, and you can do without those in your life.
  • F0ndue%s's Photo
    It is actually pretty much everywhere, but it seems to be really widespread on Facebook. Since I do actually need FB for my work at a music site I am kind of screwed. If Facebook would add an option to let users flag spoilers it would already solve a lot of problems.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Hm. There might be add-ons/extensions for your browser to block spoilers from certain things. I have heard of a Star Wars censor for Firefox, for example.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

Well, that seems like a lazy argument to me. I already said that I do care a lot about the story, and whilst I am confident that it has many things going for it (art-design, animation), we most of all watch mvies because of their stories.

you're confusing the word "story" with the word "plot"

• F0ndue%s's Photo

Hm. There might be add-ons/extensions for your browser to block spoilers from certain things. I have heard of a Star Wars censor for Firefox, for example.

I got four or five different spoiler filters running in my browser right now, but the problem is that they search for key-words, and most people that spoil those things use pictures. Since these filters don't have something like a image analyzer (one would have to thing about the privacy concerns), they cannot detect and block these spoilers.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading