RCT Discussion / OpenRCT: advantages and disadvantages

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

When I try to download the latest version of OpenRCT2 (specifically the Windows x86 Installer), my computer blocks it due to detecting a virus. Is this a one-off occurrence or has this happened before to people?

I think it has happened before. It's usually the heuristics function of your anti-virus that blocks it - meaning that it finds the launcher's behaviour suspicious, even though it doesn't contain a virus it knows specifically.

Now, I could go into great lengths about the quality of most AV suites, but let's not go off-topic too much. You should tell your AV to whitelist the file, hopefully it will stop complaining.

• nicman%s's Photo

Its a false positive, 

https://www.virustot...sis/1487550147/

• Chocotopian%s's Photo

Thanks guys. It just puzzled me as to why this version should flag up, when none prior did (on my computer at least).

• nicman%s's Photo

I think it has happened before. It's usually the heuristics function of your anti-virus that blocks it - meaning that it finds the launcher's behaviour suspicious, even though it doesn't contain a virus it knows specifically.

Now, I could go into great lengths about the quality of most AV suites, but let's not go off-topic too much. You should tell your AV to whitelist the file, hopefully it will stop complaining.

Looks like im not the only virus know-it-all. :p

• Scoop%s's Photo

I'm not sure if this is a feature or not but is there a feature where you can copy the color scheme of scenery or piece of track kind of like the color picker option in paint?

• Louis!%s's Photo
    Also copy and paste. Will this ever be a feature? And if so, will it copy and paste between save files? Or just within a save?
  • Nubbie%s's Photo

Also copy and paste. Will this ever be a feature? And if so, will it copy and paste between save files? Or just within a save?

RCT2 has a option to save scenary for coasters, this will probably be modified to make it possible to save scenery and place it down by itself like in RCT3
    Depends if you're more interested in that or if you mean the whole tile?
  • Louis!%s's Photo

I mean the ability to copy and paste an entire selection of stuff and move it elsewhere.

1) The ability to select an entire area that is 2 or more tiles off in one direction and be able to move everything slightly.

2) The ability to select an entire area that is in a totally different location, say north of the map and you want it down in the south now.

3) The ability to select an entire area in one map and copy it onto a new map in order to rebuild.

RCT Example: If I wanted to expand my Goliath design into a Solo, its location on the map is very awkward. The ability to select the entire thing and move it elsewhere on the map would be beneficial. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also a multiplayer feature that annoys me that is missing, the ability to place down pre-saved layouts and save layouts you build in multiplayer too. Is this possible in the future?

• SSSammy%s's Photo

is there a way to use entertainers from other scenery groups within open rct2?

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Also a multiplayer feature that annoys me that is missing, the ability to place down pre-saved layouts and save layouts you build in multiplayer too. Is this possible in the future?

The difficulty with placing prebuilts is that not all players will have the TD6 file. To implement this, it'd be necessary to send the file to all players before placing the track. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to save a design (didn't realize you can't), but the way around it is to disconnect and then save the design in single player.

Yes, there's a command to set entertainer costumes

• BelgianGuy%s's Photo

is there anyone having problems opening openrct? I can't seem to boot it

• Nubbie%s's Photo

is there anyone having problems opening openrct? I can't seem to boot it

Have no problem with it so suggest you create a issue on GitHub, contact the gitter chat and/or check the forum

GitHub: https://github.com/o...openrct2/issues
    Gitter: https://gitter.im/Op...?source=orgpage
    OpenRCT2 forum: https://openrct2.org/forums/
  • Gymnasiast%s's Photo

This was recently made possible. Just select the custome as you would normally.

• Fisch%s's Photo

Ok forget my question, I figured it out...Was a bit dumb for a moment, haha.

• Fisch%s's Photo

About to wrap up this multiplayer park from the front page screens. Was it possible to do custom notifications/announcements/news messages with OpenRCT2 (the ones that pop up at the bottom)? And if so, how?

• Tolsimir%s's Photo

Was some kind of commentary feature already requested? Working like in PDF readers I'd say, to place some kind of "button" on the map where you can leave a comment. The "window" could be toggle-able or just a normal window. Might be quite useful in multiplayer parks, reviewing parks, doing tests or explaining your own park.

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

About to wrap up this multiplayer park from the front page screens. Was it possible to do custom notifications/announcements/news messages with OpenRCT2 (the ones that pop up at the bottom)? And if so, how?

It's not implemented yet. I'd suggest making an issue on the project's github. It's definitely possible, seeing as twitch integration (before it broke) created custom messages, and trainers are able to do it.

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

Is there a reason that queue TV's don't seem to function at all in Open? Even if you have one on every square guests still leave the lines in droves if they get long. This never happens in Vanilla with ample queue TV's.

• CoasterCreator9%s's Photo

Is there a reason that queue TV's don't seem to function at all in Open? Even if you have one on every square guests still leave the lines in droves if they get long. This never happens in Vanilla with ample queue TV's.

I wasn't aware they did anything besides looked nice. 

• tce_k%s's Photo

The difficulty with placing prebuilts is that not all players will have the TD6 file. To implement this, it'd be necessary to send the file to all players before placing the track. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to save a design (didn't realize you can't), but the way around it is to disconnect and then save the design in single player.

Yes, there's a command to set entertainer costumes

This was recently made possible. Just select the custome as you would normally.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work anymore.  

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading