General Chat / 2016 in Film

• nin%s's Photo

Figured I'd go ahead and make this.

First blockbuster of the year? Deadpool. Saw it for the second time today and it's just as fantastic as the first. It's funny, action-packed, and the storytelling flows along really well. The best superhero movie in a good while now, and far better than most of Marvel's latest endeavors. I'll forever be a fan of Fox's take on the Xmen (at least 'modern' Fox, Origins and X3 were awful), and I'm really glad they went all out with this one as it's one of their best.

I'll be checking this out for a 3rd time for sure, it's excellent.

• Version1%s's Photo

Good movie, I liked Ant-Man better. In fact, I liked 3 of the last 4 Marvel movies better than Deadpool (Age of Ultron being the exception). But I was definitely surprised with how much I liked Deadpool.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Saw only two films of 2016 yet.

Out of Love - a small dutch indie about a couple who's either fucking or punching each other.

Deadpool - 9/10 a bit light on story but it's so full of jokes. The entire audience was laughing their butts of for two hours. Planning on seeing this again in theaters. Not per se because it's the best movie ever, but because it's just so much fun.

• Ling%s's Photo

I saw Deadpool last night and as a huge MCU fanboy I was pretty underwhelmed (Although is it really part of the MCU? Debatable.). I liked most of the lampshading (studio didn't have the budget for more X-Men, quip about furthering the plot, references to appearance in Origins Wolverine), and some of the humor was dark enough or surprising enough to really make me laugh. The IKEA furniture jokes felt way too forced and went on for too long, but the stuff dealing with him chopping off his hand and growing it back were all solid gold. In general it felt like the humor was directed at an audience below the R-rated age demographic.

The structure of the film, with only two major action sequences constantly cut away to show background, character development, and explain things, is probably the only way a Deadpool movie could ever work. I'm not sure where they go from here. I want him to be incorporated into the bigger MCU if only for the interesting contrast with the other movies. It's in a similar vein with Jessica Jones but without the more repulsively disgusting undertones (rape, dismemberment, forcing people to do horrible things to people they care about). Make no mistake, Jessica Jones was an amazing show but holy shit was it hard to watch at times. Deadpool is the opposite of most of the other MCU movie arcs, namely the Iron Man movies (serious, high-stakes plot points interspersed with occasional minor comedic beats vs. personal stakes and comedic overtones interspersed with badass action).

The biggest letdown was that it was a cut-and-dry superhero movie arc. I know that going from "good" to "great" opens the movie up to more criticisms and the pressure is higher (so you can get away with more in a movie that's just "good" and doesn't try to be about too much) but having a nice but flawed guy fall for a girl, they start building their lives, tragedy strikes, he can't confront her but she gets kidnapped by the bad guy and in the end he gets his revenge and gets the girl, despite his flaws, just feels so ordinary and expected. I was so eagerly awaiting the "gotcha" and to have the writers utterly turn the whole thing on its head but it never happened, and I left the theater a little bored. I do feel like there is a missing Agents of SHIELD tie-in or something else that I could have gotten a little more out of (as happened with the Winter Soldier or The Dark World arcs).

I also saw the new Star Wars twice, and holy shit did it make me angry. But that's a discussion for another time.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Deadpool is not MCU. Deadpool is in the X-Men's film universe, which is owned by Fox and distinct from the Marvel Studios universe.

I was so eagerly awaiting the "gotcha" and to have the writers utterly turn the whole thing on its head but it never happened, and I left the theater a little bored. 

I was too. I kept expecting some major twist, but it never showed up. maybe the twist is that there was no twist.

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

god i couldnt stomach deadpool for longer than 20 minutes 

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Deapool is indeed not MCU, it's technically in the X-Men Universe although we'll have to see whether other X-Men films like Apocalypse and Wolverine III will acknowledge this film.

Deadpool only had two action 'scenes', but that's partially due to the 'small' budget but I really thought it worked. The reason why I felt like Deadpool didn't need a major twist or complicated subtext is because the narrative didn't aspire to be hindsight-thought-provoking. It's not meant to be subtle. It's direct harsh criticism to the state of (superhero) films and pop culture nowadays. Subtext and plot twists are usually meant to get people thinking, but Deadpool had a different way of doing so. It needed the whole background story because two hours of jokes and punching would become boring. That would be as if a comedian would do a deadpan for two hours.

I can imagine people won't like this film as it's still pretty much two hours of similar jokes. It's probably not for everyone. Somewhere I read from this guy calling the best romantic comedy since Love Actually. That was probably the weirdest thing I've read about this film.

• Sulakke%s's Photo

Based on the trailers that film looks like shit.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Yeah, I can't believe how positive the reception is. Positive sounds from america doesn't surprise me, as that country is full of comic book fanboys, but apparantly it's also popular over here. I go to the cinema several times a month, and I've seen the trailer several times in a full theatre. Almost no one laughed during the trailer... In full theatres. Seeing Deadpool (is that his name?) crack all his immatury jokes (haha he said 'sex'!) in absolute silence was fucking painful to sit through, so awkward.
  • Ling%s's Photo

If you think the humor boils down to sex jokes you clearly wrote the film off before you ever saw the trailers. Most of the humor derives from fourth-wall breaking or referencing past events in the history of the characters (both within in the movie and in the other installments that included the characters) and off-beat/unexpectedly offensive one-liners. If you haven't watched any of the X-Men movies you're not going to get anything out of it. But you've already decided what is and isn't in the movie so I won't bother carrying on about it.

I figured Deadpool must have been MCU because they fight on/around one of the downed helicarriers from the end of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and they have the same "Marvel Studios" intro sequence as the MCU. If it was done by the studio that owned all of the characters, why not include others, even in the background? It wasn't exactly a low-budget film.

• Scoop%s's Photo

If you think the humor boils down to sex jokes you clearly wrote the film off before you ever saw the trailers. Most of the humor derives from fourth-wall breaking or referencing past events in the history of the characters (both within in the movie and in the other installments that included the characters) and off-beat/unexpectedly offensive one-liners. If you haven't watched any of the X-Men movies you're not going to get anything out of it. But you've already decided what is and isn't in the movie so I won't bother carrying on about it.

I figured Deadpool must have been MCU because they fight on/around one of the downed helicarriers from the end of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and they have the same "Marvel Studios" intro sequence as the MCU. If it was done by the studio that owned all of the characters, why not include others, even in the background? It wasn't exactly a low-budget film.

I'm pretty sure every Marvel Movie does that no matter the studio. The intro that is.

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    IIRC, there's some slight differences between marvel studios intro and other marvel intros. Like a small marvel logo above the movie's logo, or a different animation before the marvel logo itself.

Edit:http://i.imgur.com/DLAYvTK.png
  • Liampie%s's Photo

I didn't write the film off before I saw the trailers, because I had never heard of the movie before the trailers. And immature poop and sex jokes are exactly what the trailer is showing, so it's like I just assumed that based on nothing. I've seen the trailer several times in a packed theatre and reception was super cold. That's an objective fact.
  • G Force%s's Photo

I didn't write the film off before I saw the trailers, because I had never heard of the movie before the trailers. And immature poop and sex jokes are exactly what the trailer is showing, so it's like I just assumed that based on nothing. I've seen the trailer several times in a packed theatre and reception was super cold. That's an objective fact.

The Dutch also have no sense of humor.  That's and objective fact.

• Ling%s's Photo

Good to know inthemanual, thanks.

And Liampie, they clearly showed different trailers in the Netherlands vs. here. There's one outright sex joke in the six minutes or so of the two official trailers. And I don't recall any "poop" jokes in the entire movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyKWUTwSYAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIM1HydF9UA

• nin%s's Photo

[SMALL SPOILER ALERT]

^the emoji was the only poop joke I believe, if that even counts.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

I can imagine Deadpool isn't for everyone. They're obviously not showing all the x-men / marvel related jokes in the trailer because too many of those would scare of casual viewers. The times when I saw the trailer in theaters, it usually wasn't received cold but it wasn't a big hit. Deadpool is probably one of those films which you shouldn't bother going to if you aren't interested up front because it's not really going to surprise you if you've seen the trailers.

[spoiler-ish]:

Looking at that 2nd trailer again, it kind of bums me out Vanessa (Morena Baccarin) didn't turn out as badass as promised. That damsel in distress line could have been pretty cool.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    For what its worth i really enjoyed deadpool. It wasnt lame, pandering humor but relatively witty and unexpected 4th wall/superhero parody. There was plenty of dirty jokes but not like american pie bullshit style, usually they made sense in the context of the characters.

Also i dont really know xmen and i still got it all perfectly fine
  • Steve%s's Photo
    Deadpool is a solid film, was pleasantly surprised. Very basic origin story but it's breaking new ground for Marvel, which is great. If you like comedy and action, just go see it. The hype alone is worth the cost of admission (who wouldn't want to see the biggest box office R-rated opening ever?).

I'm mostly excited about what this is going to do as a franchise. They gambled on this movie and it's paying off big time. Definitely going to be a sequel and with the reception it's gotten so far, the budget will be bigger. I could see the sequel being even better if the writers stick around.
  • Version1%s's Photo

Definitely. I mean Deadpool had the highest opening weekend of all the X-Men films with half to quarter the budget of the other films. It will probably make 700m+ worldwide on a 58m budget. Insane.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading