General Chat / 2016 in Film

• Faas%s's Photo

Did you just use the word creative to describe a superhero movie?

• Version1%s's Photo

I mean the Captain America movie the Russo brothers did was a Spy-Thriller, so I don't know what you're talking about.

• Faas%s's Photo

I (maybe wrongfully) assumed that chorkiel was maybe expecting to find something creative in this movie. That would be pretty funny. 

• Version1%s's Photo

I mean, why shouldn't he? There are people out there who give superhero movies a proper look and don't just say "ah well, it's another superhero movie". Marvel had a Spy-Thriller, a Space Opera and a Heist movie in it's last films.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Making a genre movie =/= being creative. If anything, if a movie fits a label like 'heist movie', 'coming of age movie' or 'romantic comedy' that's an indicator of less creativity because that type of movie has been done before countless times by definition.
  • Scoop%s's Photo

I'm not so sure liam. You can do different things with those genres to make it more 'creative'.

• G Force%s's Photo
    It's the first movie of its kind atleast. Sure it will follow the same storylines as always but that's every movie. Not that it matters though, a movie can have very little creativity and still be great in my opinion.

The trailer looked alright in my opinion. Kind of a lot of bad CGI which is odd for Marvel as they usually do a great job. Almost looks like Avenger's 1 level, wasnt bad but it definitely is noticable 4 years later.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo

Every movie has a genre. Superhero movie is not a genre, it's a category. Not every movie with superpowered people in it is a superhero movie.

The Winter Soldier was very creative at times; that elevator scene, the way the shield was used in the fight choreography. Perhaps the story on a macro-level wasn't entirely new, but there were a lot of creative details in that film.

• Liampie%s's Photo

I'm not so sure liam. You can do different things with those genres to make it more 'creative'.

That is right, but the sole fact that a movie fits a certain genre does not make it creative... It's not really a strong argument.

Chorkiel, I do think 'superhero movie' is a genre. It's not an exact science, you can group movies together because of a specific set of similarities and call it a genre. 'Superhero movies' lends itself well for that... Genres are subjective and don't have clear boundaries, but I'd say the superhero movie is one of the most clearly bounded genres imaginable...
  • Ling%s's Photo

l agree with chorkiel that it would be better to refer to "superhero" as a category rather than a genre. "Superhero" just means characters with powers (and sometimes even looser than that - see Iron Man, Hawkeye, Blackwidow...), the genre can still be just about anything. Action, mystery, crime drama, heist, etc.

• dr dirt%s's Photo

Not every movie with superpowered people in it is a superhero movie.

You've kind of just recognized that there is a genre of superhero movies there.  Movies with superheroes don't necessarily follow the textbook superhero movie, I agree.  The 'classic' superhero movie is more of a subgenre of action movies.  Other movies with superheroes may fall into other genres, but wouldn't be considered a "superhero movie".

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Superhero simply isn't a genre. That's not even an opinion. Superhero movie is just as much a genre as 'based on a book' or 'starring a woman'. They're Netflix categories. "a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content." Superhero movies aren't bound to the same style, form or content; therefore they're not a genre. Guardians of the Galaxy is - technically - a superhero movie, but it's about as different as can be from The Dark Knight or The Winter Soldier. At most, it could be called a sub-genre of action movies but that also wouldn't always work.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

I'd say they are bound by content: they all revolve around people with superhuman powers overcoming their enemies in some form or another. That being said, movies don't have to fit a single genre either. Ant-Man was both a superhero movie and a heist movie. 

I also don't think Guardians of the Galaxy is a superhero movie any more than Star Wars is. Sure, they both fit the definition I gave earlier, but the characters and locations in both are utterly alien, and intended to be so, which puts both in a different boat, at least in my opinion. I could see the grounds for anyone to disagree though.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

So what is the consent on Batman v Superman, here? In general I liked it more than I hated it. Its pros far outweigh its cons. Plus, it made me very excited for what's to come.

I haven't read any Batman comics, so I'm not angry about what they did. Actually pretty dig this badass version of Batman. Really dug the Wonder Woman score too.

• nin%s's Photo

Loved it. Seen it twice so far. Could talk for days about it. 

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Lex was terrible. No motivation, barely any backstory, no real show of his intelligence, nothing really built him up, he was just kinda there. Someone coming into this knowing absolutely nothing about Superman would wonder why this random entrepreneur wanted to kill Superman. Batfleck refusing to loosen his neck muscles was also a bit weird. Other than that it was pretty enjoyable. 

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

Midnight Special was incredible 

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Didn't particularly like Midnight Special, but I get the praise.

Last week I saw Everybody Wants Some!! and it's one of the best movies of the year. Also can't stop recommending The Nice Guys. In addition; Eddie the Eagle was wonderful too.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

I saw everybody wants some because friends were going and I literally afterwards couldn't think of a movie I disliked more. I could rant about it for hours (I did...) but I'd rather forget about those two long long hours of my life.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    8½ months in, let's evaluate what we have so far...

8.7 - The Revenant
    8.1 - The Hateful Eight
    8.0 - The Big Short
    7.8 - The Lobster
    7.8 - Room

7.7 - Demolition
    7.7 - Eye in the Sky
    7.5 - Sausage Party
    7.4 - The Nice Guys
    7.3 - Star Trek Beyond

7.3 - The Neon Demon
    7.2 - Creed
    7.1 - Finding Dory
    7.1 - Louder Than Bombs
    6.8 - Midnight Special

6.8 - Chocolat
    6.7 - War Dogs
    6.5 - Beyond Sleep
    6.4 - Hail, Caesar!
    6.4 - Money Monster

6.0 - Les Innocentes
    5.1 - Deadpool
    5.0 - Neighbours 2: Sorority Rising
    4.9 - Now You See Me 2

Looking forward to/yet to watch (incomplete)
    Rogue One
    Spotlight
    La La Land
    Voyage of Time (let's hope this happens)
    Free State of Jones
    Hell or High Water
    Arrival
    Hacksaw Ridge

Spoiler

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading