RCT Discussion / RCT Objects no image showing on site?

• dust%s's Photo

I find it very difficult to search through the rct objects on the site being the fact that like 99% of their pictures are just a red x. Why is this? It would be absolutely awesome if they all had preview images. Please fix this! This is a very big deal! It is an annoying task downloading all the objects and then sorting through them :(

• Liampie%s's Photo
    The way people normally collect custom scenery, is through downloading parks. The object database is mostly to help you find missing dats... So I recommend just downloading a few parks from here and the game will do the rest!
  • X7123M3-256%s's Photo

I was asked to write some code a few months ago to extract the images from object files in the database, as well as the size and type of the object, but the guy who runs the server says he hasn't had time to do anything with it.

I do think a more easily searchable object database would be useful. Downloading parks is a good way to get a selection of objects, but if you're looking for something specific it's not as good. In particular, parks often have unused objects removed to save object slots, so you may not get every object in the set - I'd find it useful to be able to look up what scenery group an object belongs to.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Sets aren't really a thing, aside from the original B&M supports and some crappy old themes that collectively contain only a handful of usable objects.
  • X7123M3-256%s's Photo

People don't group similar objects? Looking through the list of objects I see several with similar names and styles that go together, so I'd assumed they came from a group, but looking more closely some of those items aren't even from the same creator. Some objects like landscape tiles, and supports are designed to go together and aren't much use individually- recently, I noticed that I have a catwalk piece for straight track but no corresponding piece for diagonal, and I have gentle slopes but not steep slopes. Also, I have a full tile vertical support piece, but I can't find a sloped piece with the correct alignment to match it, and a sloped water tile but no matching corner piece.

I was hoping it would be possible to search for those pieces, but if they don't belong to a scenery group then that would indeed be difficult.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Really, having a comprehensive set of tags set up on every object in the database would make the whole system so much better. It's just that the work to do that isn't enjoyable at all.

• G Force%s's Photo

IMO, the object selection feature in Open marginalizes the object database slightly.  As you can now look at a list of objects with pictures in game, instead of having to find the object in another park and use ParkDat.  The object data base for me is really only useful in finding objects I'm missing in unexplored files, rather than looking for objects I want to include in my park.  But I can understand the struggle, IIRC there are plans to implement a feature to include a picture of the objects in the database that just hasn't been implemented yet.

I'd recommend just downloading lots of park and benches then searching your custom object database with the object selection tool for the things you want.

• dust%s's Photo

I was asked to write some code a few months ago to extract the images from object files in the database, as well as the size and type of the object, but the guy who runs the server says he hasn't had time to do anything with it.

I do think a more easily searchable object database would be useful. Downloading parks is a good way to get a selection of objects, but if you're looking for something specific it's not as good. In particular, parks often have unused objects removed to save object slots, so you may not get every object in the set - I'd find it useful to be able to look up what scenery group an object belongs to.

Well that guy needs to find some time to do something with it. :|
  • X7123M3-256%s's Photo

I did that in September of last year. I asked him about it a month ago and he said he still hasn't had time. I doubt anything will be done with it anytime soon.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading