Contests / Get Pumped...

• spacek531%s's Photo

Awesome, looks like I can do it then. If it was on the 40th though I couldn't do it.

• Mattk48%s's Photo

me too, my 40th of never is all booked at the moment

- I dont know what's going on, and im too lazy to go back and read through at this point

• spacek531%s's Photo

This contest is starting on the 35th of Nevuary. Never is the month after.

• Version1%s's Photo

- I dont know what's going on, and im too lazy to go back and read through at this point

The admins are stalling, because they announced this contest after the awards but are still working on the contest.

• Louis!%s's Photo

Its been 1 week. We're hardly stalling when its only been 1 week.

In other news, Version1 is still as miserable as ever! Seriously dude, are you ever happy?

• MCI%s's Photo

Nope

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Four years on this site and you still haven't achieved anything. Who's stalling?
  • Version1%s's Photo

Thanks Liam for reminding me what a failure I am

• Louis!%s's Photo

Tbf, you should have got a bronze with Idaho.

• Version1%s's Photo

Tbf, you should have got a bronze with Idaho.

No, I shouldn't have.

Listen, the problem I have with this whole thing is just how it went down. Members of the community came up with a contest idea. The admins then said, that community contests rarely work and that the official contest would not happen this year, if the community contest happens. Then you say at the beginning of the awards, that there will be a "contest announcement". Afterwards you open this topic to show, that you are working on a contest which will be at least similar to the community one, but you don't have any details to offer.

So my question is: Why are you so hellbent on surprising the whole community with the contest? Why not develop tis new contest in a thread together? I don't think NE is so big that you have to "govern" it from the top down.

• RWE%s's Photo

Just take a bit of patience lol.

• Liampie%s's Photo

Listen, the problem I have with this whole thing is just how it went down. Members of the community came up with a contest idea. The admins then said, that community contests rarely work and that the official contest would not happen this year, if the community contest happens. Then you say at the beginning of the awards, that there will be a "contest announcement". Afterwards you open this topic to show, that you are working on a contest which will be at least similar to the community one, but you don't have any details to offer.

The idea of teasing is to build some hype and let people know something is coming so they should get prepared. We've done this before. Especially because there was a discussion on a contest going on, the timing of this teaser seems almost perfect...

So my question is: Why are you so hellbent on surprising the whole community with the contest? Why not develop tis new contest in a thread together? I don't think NE is so big that you have to "govern" it from the top down.

It's not about surprise. It's about organising a succesful contest. Do you know how hard it is to organise a contest with just three or four admins? All us have different ideas and uniting those ideas takes time. A public discussion with dozens of people will surely end in people leaving and losing interest, if it will end at all. Consensus with the whole community? Good luck. Besides, a contest organised by the staff has broader goals than a contest organised by members who mostly want to participate in the contest themselves. It's just going to be a mess.

What's really your problem here? Do you feel entitled to know how people are preparing to entertain you? Do you feel entitled to hear Britney Spears's album before release? Do you feel entitled to know what's going to happen on Game of Thrones tonight?
  • Louis!%s's Photo

No, I shouldn't have.

Fuck me, you are grouchy today!

• Version1%s's Photo

The idea of teasing is to build some hype and let people know something is coming

That's not how hype works. I won't write anything more on the topic, but I think it's important for you to know it: Hype is not a limitless ressource that just builds in everyone into infinity. The way you announce the contest will lead into a tipping point, where hyped members will just lose interest. And why? Because some guys will think, that it will only take a wwek for the contest to "start", and these guys will feel some dissapointement, because their moment of highest hype just resolves into nothingness.

Or to your examples: I don't demand to get the new Iron Maiden Album before it comes out, and I don't demand to know what happens in Game of Thrones. But I know when Game of Thrones is going to be and I know when the new album of Band X will hit.

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    And you know the name of the contest, that it'll be a flexible, team based format, and that it'll be this summer.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

Much like we knew a new Kanye West album was to drop, was continually being teased with it, but didn't know when it was going to come out, until one day it did.

• Liampie%s's Photo

That's not how hype works. I won't write anything more on the topic, but I think it's important for you to know it: Hype is not a limitless ressource that just builds in everyone into infinity. The way you announce the contest will lead into a tipping point, where hyped members will just lose interest. And why? Because some guys will think, that it will only take a wwek for the contest to "start", and these guys will feel some dissapointement, because their moment of highest hype just resolves into nothingness.

Here you assume that the contest won't start in a matter of weeks, which is based on nothing. And we know hype isn't an infinite resource. But jesus, it's just a single teaser. It's not like we've been posted logos for months without any further information...

Or to your examples: I don't demand to get the new Iron Maiden Album before it comes out, and I don't demand to know what happens in Game of Thrones. But I know when Game of Thrones is going to be and I know when the new album of Band X will hit.

That's not really true. Some album announcements do come out of the blue, but in my experience 95% of all albums get discussed and teased before a release date is ever announced. Goes for Iron Maiden too. If you think they haven't said anything about their albums before the big announcements, you haven't been paying attention. And yes, everyone knows that Game of Thrones comes back each year. But until two-three months ago no one knew the premiere date, and it turned out to be a few week off from the usual premiere date. So no, you didn't know those things.
  • Scoop%s's Photo

*drop the mic

• Lotte%s's Photo

I'm just gonna end the drama right here and start the meta-drama by complaining about all the drama

• RWE%s's Photo

Version1 complaining about the admins episode 9462 was the worst drama ever, even worse than 9461! So repetitive.. i think the author should finally include some more ideas for episode 9463.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading