RCT Discussion / Ghosts of RCT-Guide's past......

• Jappy%s's Photo

Let's make one thing clear: I've never been a member of the former RCT-Guide. I was just a lurker. I discovered it in 2007, about 3(?) years before it closed down. It was the site that completely changed the way I thought about RCT2... Realistic parks?! To make it short: RCT-Guide is the reason I started building realistic and why I joined New Element.

When it was announced it would close it doors, little me wanted to save the screens I loved the most, and those which were my main source of inspiration. But instead of saving screenshots to my computer, I printed them on paper as a physical reminder of the site. Might have been a mistake... But back then, I didn't know shit about computers...

This thread is to show these printed reminders of the former RCT-Guide. Ghosts, really, as scanning the paper give them a creepy white shade. I don't have much, but what I have will be shown over the next couple days, not all at once. And to the former members of the site: I ask you to help me identifying the

parks and/or creators.

RCTGuide1.png

• Jappy%s's Photo

RCTGuide2.png

• Sulakke%s's Photo

The upper print could be very old work from Kenneth, but I'm not sure. The lower one looks familiar, but I can't link a name to it.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Awesome stuff. How many of the savegames from the database do you have? I've been trying to collect all savegames (adding some to the database here every now and then), but it is incomplete.

It's hard to pinpoint who made these screens, my best guess is black-mamba. The restaurant in the second screen is a creation by wick@d (I'm pretty sure), he used to run a theming company with stuff like this in Ultimate Tycoon.

The last sheet of screens, no clue. Could be that guy that ended up building exclusively center parcs stuff instead of theme parks, with oversized fences and street lights and crap (foliage looks like his style) but the last screen contradicts that. No clue.
  • Jappy%s's Photo

Savegames? Sadly not much, and the ones I do have, I've sent you already a couple of months before.... I didn't knew how to download parks back then.... I wish I did!

• FredD%s's Photo

Thanks for uploading these, awesome memories :)

• Jappy%s's Photo

I'm concluding the set of scans for today with this one. The first shot is from the same park as the three shots above, the second one is from Liam's Wunderland Erlach. I don't think people will mind the fact the park is released on NE.

I'll be adding some more tomorrow!

RCTGuide3.png

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

This was fun to see! I did a little bit of lurking at that site as well, though just for a short time. It was really during my years away from anything RCT, returned briefly for a summer or two and then dropped out again. Anyway, the style of these screens influenced me a lot, and I still really appreciate it. Whenever I try to build something, it turns out something like these screens, especially the train station in your second post! 

• Jappy%s's Photo

A new day, a new scan! This one I do remember the name: Paradise Falls by....I don't know.

RCTGuide4.png

• Liampie%s's Photo
    That looks an awful lot like Faas!

Mintliqueur, how come you've never shown anything?
  • Jappy%s's Photo

Minliqueur, if any of your stuff looks like it came from the RCT-Guide school of builders, then I want to see it!

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

Actually, I'm not so sure...  Back in the day when I was active in the community (2003-2005) the standards of NE seemed lightyears beyond me, and coupled with the kinda harder tone on the forums in those days I never felt it was worth posting anything. I think I still carry that exalted image of NE within, keeping me from showing my simple work. I did post a lot on other sites, I still think some small glimpses of my work from a brief return 2008-09 can be seen in some old thread at RCT Space. These days though it's mainly because I don't really have much time to spend on actually building anything in RCT, so showing anything would be kind of in vain because it wouldn't lead to anything released. But I guess if anyone's interested I could upload something... Actually I kind of feel I ought to after I've started commenting on stuff and people's skill etc like a wiseguy. Maybe I'll start something during the summer! :)

• Faas%s's Photo
    Paradise Falls is by me! Would be cool if you had some more old screens of my work. I lost it all.
  • Jappy%s's Photo

Sorry, Faas! I wish I had more, but sadly this is all I've got from Paradise Falls... Sure you don't have a secret savegame left somewhere? I'd love to see it in game if possible!

A new day, a new.... you guys now what I'm talking about.

This park was released as far as I know, Attractiepark Berkenwoude I think? It started out as a timeline park, that's what I'm sure of.

RCTGuide5.png

• Faas%s's Photo
    My old stuff is on a computer that no longer exists.
  • Jappy%s's Photo

Today, I want to introduce my all-time favorite RCT-Guide park ever: De Dwezelaar. Made by Ruben, it had it's own topic in the Advertising District, but sadly died a quiet death and was never released. I saved however quite a lot of screens, both from NE and the Guide and I plan to show them to you the next coming days. This park formed/formes the main source of inspiration for most of my work in terms of colour combinations, paths and foliage. La Fôret des Frissons was built with these screens next to me. Just seeing these actually makes me want to contact Ruben and ask if he still has it....... I think you all get the message: I love this park :p

RCTGuide6.png

• Sulakke%s's Photo

Yes, that park was really nice. Simple but nice. Do you have some screens from La Fôret des Miracles? Or even better, some of my old screens? :D

• Jappy%s's Photo

Sulakke, I can do even better then that... I can send you La Fôret des Miracles if you want, I have the old savegame on my laptop! Interested....? In terms of screens.... I'm running out of things to scan sadly. I think De Dwezelaar and Biesbospark plus some random shots from random parks are all that is left. Sorry.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Sulakke, I wish you still had that first park you posted after the plagiarism scandal. With the large clusters of benches and the jagged roofs.
  • FredD%s's Photo

Might have any old FredD screens? I've lost almost all my older work, it would be fun to see some of it back :) 

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading