Theme Park Discussion / North America 2017 Coasters

• Louis!%s's Photo
    Shame we can't give Version1 the RMC treatment 😂😂😂
  • nicman%s's Photo

Id say for 2017, kings island and Canada's wonderland will be getting a new coaster. Kings island gci, Canada's wonderland a b&M or maybe an rmcing of minebuster.

Canada's Wonderland has been having rumors about a new coaster since the removal of Skyrider 2 years ago for a "very big project" according to cedar fair. Then last year they started land clearing around the area of minebuster and continued to this year. So it's a real mystery what kind of coaster they will get. Since Canada's wonderland is cedar fairs "test" park, they might try something new. Not to mention that Canada's wonderland is the most visited seasonal park in north america, ever more than cedar point. So they need another coaster with great capacity so that the other rides don't have as long of a wait time. Plus it will be 5 years since leviathan in 2017.

• RCT2day%s's Photo

It's just kind of boring to read in everything related to new coasters "Mean Streak should get RMC, The Legend should get RMC, El Toro should get RMC, Boulder Dash should get RMC, Batman The Ride should get RMC", etc.

Literally no one says that.  The Legend, El Toro and Bouderdash are some of the best wooden coasters in the world, and changing them would be cool but not necessary.  People want RMC to work on old, mediocre coasters (Rattler, Cyclone, Colossus, Mean Streak?) and restore them to their glory.

And +1 to what Louis said.

• Version1%s's Photo
    I thought Batman The Ride as RMC would show, that my list went into the realms of sarcasm, but apparently not.
  • Faas%s's Photo
    I got it. Just like I got that your username would show that your post would go into the realms of cynic whining.
  • Roomie%s's Photo

I've only ridden Iron Rattler from RMC and i was distinctly underwhelmed. The first drop is astonishing and the turn around is cool but everything after that is mediocre at best in my opinion. I know I'm in the minority though.

I've been lucky enough to ride some of the Gravity Groups new wooden coasters though and they are absolutely destroying it in Asia with their more classic wooden coasters. Fireball and Fjord Dragon are both top 10 coasters and Duelling Dragons, And the three different Jungle trailblazer layouts are all getting incredible reviews. Even Time Machine is supposed to be better than average.

They already have another 4 confirmed wooden coasters coming in China.

On top of that GCI just built Python at Wanda Nanchang and early reviews place it as a possible world beater and have another 2 coasters in China already confirmed.

RMC's have their place and kick ass traditional wooden roller coasters are still being built. You just live in the wrong country for them :p

• Austin55%s's Photo

Yeh RMC has a pretty steep drop off, and it's great to see GCI and GG doing so well. There was a pretty big streak without many of them in NA and still only been a few (KI and Invadr this year, Goldstriker, Switchback, White Lightning) but besides Goldstriker really not been anything truly great. 

I hadn't heard any Canada's Wonderland rumors but I can certainly add it. 

2016 seems to be shaping up to be a rather slow year, it's early right now but there's not much I can imagine many parks getting, SF hasn't really done anything significant besides RMC's in the last decade, Cedar Fair has put loads of money into it's parks recently, all the Busch/SW parks have recently or are getting something, and a lot of independent parks have recently made big investments (Holiday, Hershey, Adventureland)

• That Guy%s's Photo

Update for Worlds of Fun: still getting jack shit

2006: Here, a B&M Invert!

alright. badass.

2007: 

no big deal. still diggin Patriot.

2008: Oktoberfest!

I guess that could be cool?

2009: Badass GCI!

Oh hell yeah.

2010: Hot summer lights!

Nice follow up.

2011: Planet Snoopy

I mean yeah, gotta please the kids.

2012: You'll love Fast Lanes

Scams are cool I guess.

2013: Combine Oceans of Fun and Worlds of Fun for double the fun!

Well double admission should be good for uh...revenue and stuff.

2014: Have this totally cool wind seeker!

Cool, is it new?

Well, is it fun?

So you're hoping the media won't notice you handed this piece of shit down to us from Knott's?

Enjoy your new major attraction! :)

2015: We remember how much you like Planet Snoopy

​Please no.

Shhhh just let it happen

2016: 

Oh cmon. Just give us something. It doesn't even have to be anything big. Maybe a Screamin swing? Huss frisbee? Hell, you could get RMC to redo the garbage pile that is Timberwolf. 

Ok we'll give you what you want. GCI will put new track on Timberwolf. We'll finish by Summer 2019 maybe. By the way we're closing it till they get that all done ya know.

2017: Hear me out. a run down troika or condor?

Fuck you.

• Bubbsy41%s's Photo
    Hey atleast it's not as bad as my home park, Darien Lake lol or Michagans Adventure.
  • Austin55%s's Photo

WoF seems like it would be the best. Screamscape seems to think 2018 will bring a Premier which would be a great fit IMO, but hopefully they'd do a unique design. It's a bit early for the NA coasters 2018 thread though. 

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Theyres always a space in my heart for worlds of fun. Not many cedar fair parks with more heart (or maybe thats just nostalgia...)

A premier launcher like powder keg would be perfect for the park tho. Stick it on the other side of mamba, or even in the woods behind fury of the nile
  • nicman%s's Photo

I hadn't heard any Canada's Wonderland rumors but I can certainly add it. 

Sure add it, the rumors are more on theme park review.

• Austin55%s's Photo
    SFOG has announced a ride older than 30 will be closing , but hasn't said what. They've not had a coaster since Dare Devil Dive.
  • Disney Imagineer%s's Photo
    SFOG is very much overdue for something fantastic. I still think it would be a great idea for them to restructure Georgia Cyclone with the iron horse treatment and rename it Steel Falcon. It could pay homage to the Atlanta Falcons. Or if they remove an attraction sizeable enough they could construct a completely new RMC and call it Steel Falcon. Not very likely but I think it would be a perfect coaster name!

I haven't ridden Georgia Cyclone in years, but Great American Scream Machine kicked my ass when I rode it recently. It's rough as hell. Not even enjoyable. I'd ax it. The plot of land it sits on is pretty major from what I remember. Hell. Just tear out GASM and build a nice GCI. Anything is better than it currently is! A nice classic wooden would be nice.

Either way they are badly in need of a new major coaster. Something totally badass.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    With the announcement just now that the bumper cars are closing I think OG has a much bigger chance at something big coming. There's a lot of land in that part of the park behind the building, and with it being the 50th anniversary, I think they'll get an a nice addition.

Just for fun, I'll guess launched Wingrider.
  • Disney Imagineer%s's Photo
    Launched wing rider would be great! I'd be down for that. 😜
  • Roomie%s's Photo

S&S thing like SFGAdv and SFFT I reckon but i really hope you are right. SF don't seem to be dropping much big stuff recently.

• Austin55%s's Photo

Excluding Iron Horse coasters and clones, the biggest installations SF has had since 2010 are Dare Devil Dive, X-Flight, Goliath (GAM) and Full Throttle.

It's interesting to see CF and SF taking such different approaches, CF builds a huge coaster usually one park at a time, where SF builds 2-3 smaller ones in several parks. 

• Bubbsy41%s's Photo

There is some B&M Wing Coaster Track at the Canton Steel Mill.  The main places where that could be going in my opinion is SFOG, Kings Dominion, or somewhere in Asia.  Would be nice to see it go to OG because they haven't gotten anything big in years.

• nicman%s's Photo

^Unfortunately it  will  probably be going to canada's wonderland. Which is great, but i think cw should get a different type of coaster. If you are not familiar with the cw rumors, rumors of a wing coaster started in late 2014 when skyrider was being removed because of "ziz". Since then we have seen lots of different hints which means that they would not hold off till 2018 for a new coaster because the construction started almost 2 years ago.  So we though 2016 but I guess it will be 2017. Even though other parks such as kd have not received a new coaster in years, there coaster lineup is already better than cw's. Since cw is the second or third park with the most profit which equals into more stuff. KD makes much less profit than CW,KI,CP. If it was not about profit than parks like Michigan's adventure and worlds of fun would be getting new coasters. 

Tags