General Chat / 2016 Elections

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Florida's making it all interesting, right?

Anyone (from outside the US) have an idea where I can best follow the elections right now?

Currently watching on: https://www.theguard...pe=presidential

but I would like a place with more live-coverage and talking, I guess.

• G Force%s's Photo
    Why do people outside the US care about the US election? I never have been able to understand this.

You could probably give me a week and I probably couldn't come with the names of more than 2 foreign leaders who have won by popular election.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo

Several reasons. The USA has always interested me. This election is particularly interesting. It's not just about who will be the most powerful person on earth, but it's just as much about one of the frontrunners basically being Hitler 2.0.

Also, I kind of want to apply for internships/work placements in the US. Would like to know if it's run by a maniac before applying.

Also, entertainment. Twitter is outright hilarious right now.

• Liampie%s's Photo

Why do people outside the US care about the US election? I never have been able to understand this.

Because the US is a large and influential country whose policies have ripple effects on the rest of the world. Other than that, it's simply curiousity. Especially now that half the country is contemplating to vote for a guy who is pretty much the least desirable candidate to lead the country. That last thing is not even an exaggeration, I'm literally struggling to imagine worse candidates. Clinton isn't quite idea either, but Trump is in a whole other league.

• G Force%s's Photo

Well you should be re-assured that even when the president is a complete dumb ass or a corrupt reincarnation of satin, the country will still run just as it has for the past 250 years.

Personally, I don't think the election should impact your decision.  Its not like the president will personally effect you really in any way, policies take so long to come into effect that there will probably be no effects until at least a few years own the line.

As far as the candidates, neither impress me.  Early I was for Trump, he seemed like a good change a pace and a good outsider to come in an break up the ownership of Washington by career politicians.  But some of his cultural stances and view I'm not really a fan of.  Overall I've been pretty neutral on him as he often seems bi-polar so I'm unsure of the person I'm voting for at times.

Clinton on the other hand I've despised for years, it really shows how effective the system is that someone like her can keep moving up despite being a complete waste of a human flesh.  She represents corruption, fraud and all the horrible things that I'd wish my president wasn't.  I can't understand why anyone supports her, other than simply opposing Trump.  She's essentially the embodiment of evil and I'm disappointing that one day soon she'll likely be the acting president.

For a while I was for Johnson, however, after following him closely for the past few months he's disappointing me and not really taken the step forward I hoped he would despite many opening for him.

In all, I'm really sad that our country puts these candidates forwards.  Probably the worst Democratic candidate in 50+ years, and a "Republican" that has no one to blame but himself for throwing this race away.

But oh well, like I said the country will still run and people will still wake up tomorrow no matter how much corruption and filth runs in the streets of DC.

• chorkiel%s's Photo
    Personally, I don't think the election should impact your decision.  Its not like the president will personally effect you really in any way, policies take so long to come into effect that there will probably be no effects until at least a few years own the line.

I guess you're right in this. Additionally though, some internships I've looked at weren't in California. If those states turn out to vote 70% for Trump I'm not sure if I'd like to live in that state with those people for half a year. I may be overreacting, but still.

It also helps that I have literally nothing to do tomorrow.

• G Force%s's Photo

I guess you're right in this. Additionally though, some internships I've looked at weren't in California. If those states turn out to vote 70% for Trump I'm not sure if I'd like to live in that state with those people for half a year. I may be overreacting, but still.

It also helps that I have literally nothing to do tomorrow.

I think so, the media paints Trump supporters as Neo-Nazi's but that is such an extreme exaggeration.  There was an interesting article the other day that showed personal/family relations between the top of the Democratic party and 3 of the 5 major political news networks (ABC, CNN, CBS).

My problem with the Democratic party is that they preach cleansing Politics, and supporting the poor, common citizen, being "for the people", things like that.  Yet, the margin between the rich and poor has only increased over the past 24 years, 16 of which we had a Democratic President.  It will just be more of the same and even a step back with Clinton and I don't see where that gets us.

It will be the same in 4 years, with the Dems preaching inequality and all the same thing they've been preaching for 30 years, yet nothing will change and they will point to the right and blame all their problems on them.

Not to say the Right is all clean and tidy, but their problems are less political policy and more cultural.  They've had a hard time adapting to the hyper PC world we live in and the equalization of all demographics despite their numerical inequality.

Personally I think if you preach support for either candidate or believe you're somehow more "just" for supporting one of these two candidates your 100% in the wrong and are the issue with the Country.

Looking at the real time results, I'm shocked how close some of the battleground states are, especially Florida and North Carolina.  Though the election would be decided by this point.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

I'm aware that Trump supporters aren't all Neo-Nazi's. But the sole idea that someone would vote on such a man pains my brain. The man is not only a vile person, he's also constantly contradicting himself to a point where I can't believe that he isn't aware of it.

I get that people want to see change and that HRC may not be the way to get change, but Trump would be a horrible situation. The best thing that could happen when Trump's elected, is him being in prison before his term starts. On the other hand, that would leave Pence as president (right?), which could be just as bad because people are less aware of what a horrible man he is.

• dr dirt%s's Photo
    Id like to see the Trumpster pull this off.
  • G Force%s's Photo

I'm not pro either candidate, but seeing the chaos is just amazing.  We lose either way so what does it really matter...

• Iron Rattler%s's Photo
    I hate both candidates. But I have been spending all night consoling my girlfriend who's family are middle eastern immigrants. I dunno. I hate Hillary but the fact that his rhetoric gets the popular vote is awful for me.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo

Maybe a bit early but congratulations with a president who was endorsed by the KKK and believes climate change is a hoax, and a vice-president who thinks you can/should 'fix' gay people by giving them electric shocks.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    This is not good news to wake up to, hopefully it will turn around still. The US is a depressing country.
  • G Force%s's Photo

I don't think that people need to worry about minorities suddenly being exiled from the country, as long as people are here legally they'll be fine.  Even then, its unlikely that a Trump presidency will do anything.  He still has to go through Congress to do much of anything and they probably won't be as liberal with his change as he has said he will be.

Turns out that white middle class America felt "like strangers in their own country" and were sick of the changes that took jobs away and money out of their pockets.  Seems that Trump game them the most hope and they chose that.  Like it or not, that's what people chose and in the end democracy seems to have done its job.  Ironically all those champing for democracy earlier today now have to sit back and see it backfire on them.

Personally, I'm just glad to see Clinton eat it, along with big media who was on Clinton all election.  Like I said I don't think either candidate is great but Trump at least represents change, and it seemed that's what people wanted, like it or not.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Your congress is majority republican though. So either they will have to oppose their party member constantly, or they'll have to concede at some points.

Will be interesting to see how the democrats will deal with this loss after all the speculation on what kind of hell Trump supporters would have let loose in case of a loss.

• Iron Rattler%s's Photo
    He is going to have a Republican presidency, a Republican supermajority in the legislature, and a conservative supreme Court. They're going to be able to pass whatever they want. I hope I'm wrong. But when Pence is already saying the goal is to overturn abortion and gay marriage I'm pretty down tonight. Democracy won so that's how it'll be. But man I'm disappointed with my country tonight. Democrats deserve their share of the blame though. Put anyone else up and they win this big
  • G Force%s's Photo
    Trump has said that he believes abortion should be up to the states, which I would guess people should want. More of a chance their option effects the laws that govern them.

I'm not a fan of his viewpoints on climate change, abortion and some other things. But worst case scenario isn't really that bad in my opinion. However with Clinton, conflict with Russian could very well have been a result and that's far worse than anything Trump will do.

I think people are overrating though, 80% of the stuff that president elects have in their "plans" don't even sniff the action. Even when a majority is present.
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Well, the only solace we have in all this is that the meltdown might be entertaining, in a very sad way.

• Jappy%s's Photo

I'm just scared for the consequences. THis will give a huge boost to populism and extreme-right, not only in the US but in Europe as well.... I'm afraid Brexit and the 2016 elections will be the beginning of the end for the Great European Peace Project that started in the rubble and chaos of 1945...

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    No, this isn't a wave of altright race nationalism, as much as people on /pol/ want it to be. This is people pissed about the shit hand establishment politicians have left them for decades due to neoliberal and neoconservative policies. Populism isn't a bad idea. G Force is right, trump will get little of what he wants done done.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading