RCT Discussion / Multiplayer park ideas

• Kumba%s's Photo

Good points. I didn't know it would be open to everyone. A more simple style makes sense then. 

I am brand new to both Multiplayer and OpenRCT2. Please consider me an annoying n00b for the time being :)

• Louis!%s's Photo

By open to other players, I didn't mean open to everyone. I just mean it would appeal to NE members that have perhaps avoided this current multiplayer map for the reason that it just doesn't interest them.

I certainly didn't mean we'd be opening the server up to everyone, god no. Server is and always will be NE members only (established ones at that).

• Jappy%s's Photo

Cool, I'm established :p

• Version1%s's Photo

Don't be too proud of that, I also got building rights :p

• Bubbsy41%s's Photo

I would prefer doing a cedar fair or six flags park, however I'd be fine with something similar to what BG said.  I feel though that we need a lot more structure.  Maybe a few people take head positions, planning the park, etc.  It would greatly help the park IMO.

• G Force%s's Photo

Most likely, me, Liam, Louis, and Matt will plan out the relative shape of the paths before we start the server.  Possibly we will set locations for flats/coasters as well, probably just depending on our moods at the time.

Obviously we can change these plans, but I think a real weakness of the first maps is planning.  It just felt really inconsistent as a whole and at times was just a bunch of smaller parks smashed together, we'll try to fix that a bit.

I also believe that one of the things that sets CF/SF parks apart from not only more themed parks, but each other, is their planning.  So its something that is really important to me when looking at one of these parks.

• BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    And to g-force telling of kumba, do note that his design REC is more realistic than almost any "realism" release to date... so Yeah hè can say whatever hè wants about that style XD

Also I don't get How we want to go for steel roofs the park again... I mean realism can be fully themed and fun at the same time. Can I go ahead and lay out Some stuff for the map I proposed to have it go in if the amusement park doesn't take off or gets finished?
  • G Force%s's Photo

Sure.  Perhaps that something we can do in the future, user submitted map templates for the MP server.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

blah a realistic park is so boring. It just seems like such a waste of our energy and talent tbh... yadayada realistic parks are hard to make and whatever but we could be doing such big things with this server and we opt for the most cookie-cutter, done-and-dusted thing we could think of? I want to build something it takes more than 1 minute to think of and plan. we're a crew of fucking talented, creative as shit people, I'd love to see us put that to use in something really imaginative and groundbreaking. realistic parks are a dime a dozen these days, everyone is already working on their own personal ones anyway. let's do something hectic and fantastic!

and if we say that "nah, it can also be themed and realistic!" then isn't that exactly what we just built?

anyway if that's what people want, go do it and I'll just wait for the next round

• Liampie%s's Photo

Anyway if that's what people want, go do it and I'll just wait for the next round

This is crucial. Not every round is for everyone. Variation will please everyone and keep things fresh. Crazy parks are definitely coming. The second one just has to be different from the first, and the first one was safe because it catered to almost everyone. The people that felt out of place most, were the hardcore realism guys I feel. If the second park is indeed hardcore realism, the third park should be more into the fantasy direction to allow for some crazy shit.

• SensualEthiopianPolice%s's Photo

Did i suggest films as a theme, if not, films or like film genres

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Kumba, if building SF/CF style is so easy, why don't you just build a spotlight level boring realism park?  Seems you always say its the easiest style to build, yet you've never done it, and I doubt you've ever attempted it.

I may be missing half of your point, but didn't Kumba score one of the biggest Accolades ever with a realistic recreation?
  • G Force%s's Photo

I may be missing half of your point, but didn't Kumba score one of the biggest Accolades ever with a realistic recreation?

I didn't realize Busch Gardens is Six Flags or Cedar Fair.

I also didn't realize that Kumba was a custom made park.

Thanks for the info.
  • Kumba%s's Photo

My rec is overrated, it's realistic because it's basically a copy. Looking at my parks page, I really have never done Six Flags or Cedar Fair. It's just not the style I enjoy most. I have really enjoyed going to those parks tho. 

Put me down for a small building role in the next SF/CF project. I would like to give it a try and will stay true to the theme and not get fantastical with it. However, I'll need to add/introduce my hand sanitizer path object (really a lamp) :p

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

Should be good.  

• trav%s's Photo

The people that felt out of place most, were the hardcore realism guys I feel

Who are these people? G Force and Louis? No offence to Louis intended, but I can't see him building an awful lot. It'd be great if he did, but I know he has a lot going on outside of NE.

Bubbsy said he'd prefer hyper realism, but that still leaves Kumba, BG, Alex, Cocoa, etc who don't want hyper realism. 

Why not put it to a poll? If the community decides, surely that's the best for everyone involved?

• BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    If they go for six flags, cocoa and trav want to start up the next "theme" park that i proposed earlier?
  • Louis!%s's Photo

Who are these people? G Force and Louis? No offence to Louis intended, but I can't see him building an awful lot. It'd be great if he did, but I know he has a lot going on outside of NE...

...that still leaves Kumba, BG, Alex, Cocoa, etc who don't want hyper realism.

I'm not a hardcore realism guy, I don't play RCT anymore to be called any kind of RCT style. I'm not complaining, I couldn't give 2 shits what park is built, and I'm sure neither could G Force, considering we both built on the last park, him more than me (I didn't build much cause I don't RCT much anymore.)

You've listed 4 people who don't want hyper realism, 1 of which hasn't built on the previous park anyway, and I didn't realise that there was only G Force & myself that were hardcore realism focused out of the whole site, and didn't realise that there was only going to be Kumba, BG, Alex & Cocoa that were building on the next park.

I love that everyone wants to build, and everyone has ideas, its fantastic to see, but in this initial experimental stage of our server, we need to try lots of different things. We know the heavy theme realism style works and is successful, so lets try and do something totally different, see what happens. We need to know and understand how it all works and feels, like we know people don't like building when the park is 90% complete, and we know people love to place as many layouts down as possible, etc. etc.

We need variation on park style to understand how different styles work in this format, and to understand when we need to change things, its a big learning curve. For example, because we realised that nobody wants to build on the park to finish it up, its been taken down and being finished by people in a single player mode.

So yes, an ultra realism style of park may not appeal to some people, but it will appeal to others, as well as those that couldn't care less what is being built because they just want to build. It's an experiment. Much like when we go down the totally fantasy route, it will be an experiment.

We aren't catering to G & myself, not in the slightest.

• Lotte%s's Photo

Who are these people? G Force and Louis? No offence to Louis intended, but I can't see him building an awful lot. It'd be great if he did, but I know he has a lot going on outside of NE.

Bubbsy said he'd prefer hyper realism, but that still leaves Kumba, BG, Alex, Cocoa, etc who don't want hyper realism. 

Why not put it to a poll? If the community decides, surely that's the best for everyone involved?

me :( 

• RWE%s's Photo
    I would not really be up for a hardcore realism park, probably only for small jobs. But i would like to see something different on the server!

So doing a well planned organized hyper realism park could also be a challenge. Just give it a try. If not enough people gonna build on it, the plan can be changed anyway.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading