RCT Discussion / NE Multiplayer Server III

• Liampie%s's Photo

Previous editions
    I: NE's Mirage Islands (released)
    II: Unnamed realism park

Introduction
    It has been more than a year since OpenRCT's multiplayer functionality took off. So far, the vast majority of the multiplayer servers available have not been quite up to NE standards though. And we think this is a missed opportunity. Therefore, we introduce our very own multiplayer server! Together, we will try to create a single park that will blow any other multiplayer park out of the water. This can be the start of a new era in group park making.

Special thanks to the Tycoon Paradise community, who is hosting this server for us. For slightly more casual RCT fun, Tycoon Paradise's servers are recommended.

Goal
    For this third park, we're using a bench with exclusively non-custom objects. The map is divided in different zones, each will host a different theme. Let's not bother with backstage areas and other hardcore realism elements for a change, but definitely don't go all out either. Semi-realism is the way to go for this one. Let's make something insanely fun and good looking!

If you have ideas for a multiplayer server, you can share it here.

General Rules
    To achieve the park goals described above, we believe some practical rules are necessary.

It is important that the landscape and scale is consistent. If one guy builds his area with lots of pine trees, single wide paths and buildings that make the peeps look like midgets, and another guy builds his area with tropical foliage, wide paths and buildings on a miniature scale, the park will look weirdly distorted as a whole. Therefore it is very important to be aware of what other people, especially those close to you on the map, have been doing. You are advised to build considerately.
    Try to not reserve space on the map if you're not going to build on it on a short term. If you do, just place a sign with 'reserved' and your name on it. Similarly, you can use signs to invite other people over to continue your work.
    Do not remove or modify other people's work without their permission.
    If you sabotage the park or harass other players, you may be stripped of your permissions. Don't be a dick.
    If you have access to the cheat menu, announce it in the chat whenever you are about to switch on/off zero clearances
    Only enable sandbox mode for whenever it is aboslutely necessary
    Duplicate rides and themes are discouraged.

Clicking the 'research' menu button will crash your game. Do not click it unless you want to exit the game anyway. The default hotkey for the research menu is 'D'. Pressing D while not in the chat will similarly cause a crash, so you are advised to perhaps change the hotkey to some obscure key you will never use or accidentally press. In the worst case, it's simply a matter of restarting the game and joining the server again. No progress will be lost in any case, so it is only a minor inconvenience.

Permissions
    There are four user groups on this server. Anyone can enter the server, spectate and chat. These are the 'guests'. Anyone who is a registered NE member with a solo release scoring over 50% with the panel, or has otherwise proven to be capable of producing such high quality work, is eligible for the 'player' position. A 'player' can build on the map freely, but does not have access to the cheats menu or the pause button, and nor can he edit permissions and kick other players. 'Regulators are trusted and experienced players that will have access to all menus and settings. Ideally the majority of players will be 'regulators'. Lastly, there is the position of 'admin'. This one is reserved purely for the server bot and is to be ignored. These permission levels are purely practical, they do not come with prestige.

'Regulators' are the ones reponsible for assigning these user groups to people who join for the first time. If a regulator is sure the newcomer is who he says he is, and his building qualities are good enough to be eligible to build on this server, this is how handing out permissions works:

1. In the top left of the screen, next to the menu button, there is a button with two sitting peeps. Clicking this button will open the multiplayer menu, which looks like this:

2. As you can see, the multiplayer menu contains a list of all players currently on the server and the user group they're in. You can click on anyone's name, and it will open another window very similar to a guest window.

3. This is where the magic happens. In the dropdown menu shown above, you can change anyone's user group. In this example I am making RWE a regulator, because he will know who to give permissions and who not to. And I know that he won't abuse his powers. Fun fact: the player menus also contain the buttons for kicking (the trash can), shows you where that player has last clicked on the map, and some general statistics.

'regulators' are encouraged to verify that a newcomer is who he says who he is. Either by asking a personal question, having the newcomer send you a PM on NE, Facebook, Discord, or whatever works for you.

Credits
    Of course, it is good to know who built what. There are several ways to put your name on your work, such as on signs and in ride names. Possibly the best idea however is to hire an entertainer, give him your NE username, and mark your work using patrol areas. The enterainer could roam the park/your area, but can also be hidden away on a single tile of path in an obscure corner of the map. As long as we can track down your work using the staff menu.

Disclaimer: just like the park will evolve in a direction that depends on what the players contribute, so will the format and the rules evolve depending on how things work in practice. This multiplayer service is a pilot, a voyage into (exciting) unknown territory. If you have any ideas on how to improve this project, do not hesitate to share it in a comment below.

• Steve%s's Photo
    I dig it. I would like to a coaster for this one if possible! Maybe a wooden or floorless?
  • BelgianGuy%s's Photo

same here

• Louis!%s's Photo

Please remember the bench is small.

• Faas%s's Photo
    I want to build on this and will check it out. Any special hacker-tricks I need to perform?

Edit: nvm can't find my fucking mouse.
  • Jappy%s's Photo
    Can't access the Discord, but Liam, is something wrong with the park? What about my Race to the North duelling and railway station?
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    I can join the server just fine.
  • Jappy%s's Photo
    No I can't join Discord from my iPhone 4 and my laptop is dead. Got worried after receiving an email that you posted on Discord that something is wrong with the multiplayer park.
  • RCT2day%s's Photo

Yessssss, so excited for this server.  I'll contribute some work this weekend hopefully.  Will request permission soon-ish.

• Jappy%s's Photo

Just so you guys know, I'm now known as Jappy #2 after my previous laptop died.

• WhosLeon%s's Photo

You didnt lose your savegames did you?

• Jappy%s's Photo

Nope, everything has been recovered succesfully. The computer guy told me apparently my graphics card had died, and because the repair of that would've been waaaaay over my budget, he suggested just to get a new laptop.

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

You could have easily recovered your keys from the old computer, allowing you to still be Jappy #2.

• Noah%s's Photo

Well, my first park only gained a rating of 34%. So I would need to do better on my next one to gain access to this server.

• Scoop%s's Photo

Well, my first park only gained a rating of 34%. So I would need to do better on my next one to gain access to this server.

a good tip to get better is to copy buildings and structure patterns from other accolade worthy parks to learn different techniques that will enhance your work tenfold.
  • posix%s's Photo

Clearly that must make your style very original.

• Louis!%s's Photo
    I think its important to 'copy' in order to increase skill before developing your own style.
  • G Force%s's Photo

I don't know if its possible to build in "your own" style if you seek criticism here at NE or even have a light knowledge of the styles of the community.

Its kind of like a painter learning how to paint with zero outside influence and becoming a Picasso or Rembrandt, it might be possible, but very unlikely.  Most people learn to copy first before they learn how to create a masterpiece of their own.

• nicman%s's Photo

Nobody seems to be building in this park anymore.

• G Force%s's Photo

No room for a new coaster means no one cares.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading