Theme Park Discussion / Going to be in London, heading to Thorpe June/July

• Goliath123%s's Photo

Hey guys as the title suggests, i'm going to be ending a europe tour in London on the 29th of June. Booked to stay until the 6th of July so I have about a week of free time so would be looking to go to Thorpe Park.

Don't have anything set in motion yet so if anyone has suggestions for Thorpe that would be great, Any tips or recommendations would also be appreciated.

Would also be down to meet up if anyone is interested in heading out for the day. My schedule is flexible as like I said nothing is confirmed atm.

• Version1%s's Photo

If you only want to do one park, I'd suggest visiting Chessington instead.

• Liampie%s's Photo

What does your tour look like?

• FredD%s's Photo

If you only want to do one park, I'd suggest visiting Chessington instead.

I can echo that. More atmosphere, they have a zoo too which is nice and fun. And with Vampire they have a hidden gem coaster and Dragon's Fury is one the world's best spinning coasters. 

• Goliath123%s's Photo

More interested in Thorpe atm for the B&Ms as i've only ever ridden the small Daemon at Tivoli, however i shall keep chessington in mind as its nice and close.

Liam - Tour goes all over Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Poland and a few other neighbouring countries - namely the second last stop being Amsterdam for two nights! Any suggestions for what to fit in?

• Liampie%s's Photo

- Don't go to the Anne Frank house or any of the big museums if you don't want to spend a few hours queuing.

- Don't go the coffee shop more than once if you're a decent person

- Rent a bike and very importantly make sure you know the written and unwritten rules of cycling in Amsterdam.

- Just walk and cycle around town to take in the scenery.

- Picknick in Vondelpark. Barbecuing is now illegal there sadly.

- Even though it has become a major tourist trap, the Red Light District is still interesting to visit. If you just want to see or bang hookers though there are two other not so touristy smaller red lights districts.

- I guess a canal cruise actually isn't half bad. I recommend seeing Amsterdam from the water but water cycles are disappointing and renting a boat is something tourists should maybe not do unless they want to cause accidents.

• Faas%s's Photo
    My favourite part of Amsterdam is the train back to Utrecht. I suggest you take it too and call me for a tour around the city.
  • Goliath123%s's Photo

Vondelpark looks good, as does Utrecht, I will let you know if i will have time - It'll be close as the tour includes a bicycle tour and canal cruise already but i think the second day we have is free for our own plans.

Not interested in red light district or Anne Frank either really (Going to Auschwitz earlier for my Nazi dose), but everything else sounds good. Looking forward to seeing the beautiful architecture mostly.

Also does anyone have advice on day trips to Belgium, (Maybe Brugge, Ghent or Brussels) travelling from London? The Eurostar seems to be my best bet.

Also best place for London day trips? Cotswolds looks really cute and quaint. Got Harry Potter Tour planned so far and a generic walk along Thames, Tower Bridge etc, Any other recommendations?

Cheers all for the advice so far!

• Faas%s's Photo
    For Belgium I'd recommend Ghent. Brussels isn't worth it.
  • FredD%s's Photo

I recommend Ghent too as well, my home town! If you want to know more, just holla at ya boy. Don't even think of Bruges, it's a shithole that closes at 6PM. 

• alex%s's Photo

Why not visit Alton Towers instead? It's not too big a trip from London depending how you're travelling.

+1 for Ghent too.

• Goliath123%s's Photo

Ok Ghent it is, and Alton is on the list as well, ( Would be travelling public transport) I'll have to weigh the three up.

• Liampie%s's Photo

Why not visit Alton Towers instead? It's not too big a trip from London depending how you're travelling.

It's not a big trip from Nottingham either :p

• Louis!%s's Photo
    I'll take a car load to Alton Towers, fuck it lets rent a mini-bus and go on an NE tour
  • Goliath123%s's Photo

Sign me up

• Faas%s's Photo
    A week later and I could have gone with you guys.
  • Goliath123%s's Photo
    Ok so it looks as if I'm going to have the 1st to 4th of July free for a day trip to Thorpe (99 percent decided on Thorpe atm). Would anyone be free to meet up?

If not, anyone have tips for theme parks solo?
  • Version1%s's Photo

(99 percent decided on Thorpe atm).

Fair warning: Be prepared for disappointment
  • FredD%s's Photo

If not, anyone have tips for theme parks solo?

Well, visiting a theme park solo is completely different than with friends. You'll be way faster done, so take your time to enjoy. Just sit back on a terrace, eating an ice cream or drinking something refreshing. No need to hurry because since you don't have to wait on anyone, don't have to talk to someone,... you'll gain a lot of time. 

I don't know if you have an European/English sim card? That would come handy, when visiting a theme park solo you'll be much more on your smartphone than usual. Especially when you have a long queue, it can keep you busy or just now and then between doing rides. Chatting with friends can make you feel less alone too. 

Taking a book or magazine with you is also a good suggestion (unless you don't like to read), so you can take a break and read some. Or while queuing. Maybe another good suggestion is thinking of an extra thing to do, like I said you'll be done faster so if you are interested in seeing other stuff in the area you can search interesting stuff in the area up. You can combine it if you're done fast. 

• Version1%s's Photo
    E-Books while queuing are great.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading