H2H8 / Tips for hosting a server

• Liampie%s's Photo

I don't have the knowledge or motivation to write an actual tutorial/guide, but I think it's important to spread some knowledge on how to host a server, and more importantly in the context of H2H, how not to host a server. If everyone shares some useful and relevant tips here, we should be able to avoid accidental information spills. I'll start.

- Apparantly permission settings for OpenRCT servers are saved in a file named 'users.json'. If you delete that file, no one you gave permissions to in the past will be able to join your server. It's a clean sheet.

- Related: go to your discord settings or wherever that shit is to turn off that it shows the name of the savegame (edit: name of the park) you're working on, otherwise people in discord will see what you're working on.

• spacek531%s's Photo

Discord will show everyone your park's name, not the name of the savegame.

To host you need to do something called "port forwarding" which requires access to the admin settings of the router. The default port of OpenRCT2 is port 11753.

A full writeup about OpenRCT2 multiplayer is available here: https://github.com/O...iki/Multiplayer

• nicman%s's Photo
    Tip for people hosting H2H servers, if you have anybody set as admin they will be able to access your server without a password
    that also means if you made people admin for your server before h2h
    they can still join your server without a password
  • Deurklink%s's Photo

Tip for people hosting H2H servers, if you have anybody set as admin they will be able to access your server without a password
    that also means if you made people admin for your server before h2h
    they can still join your server without a password

If you want to prevent this, you should go to Documents/OpenRCT2 and then just delete users.json. All previous permissions that were set will be gone. You could also just delete old names from it one by one, but it will take a while.

Also, if you want to run multiple servers, check this guide.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading