Music Forum / Best of Canadian Rap

• natelox%s's Photo
    I've made a list of what is some of the best Canadian rap out right now. It'd be nice if some of the people who like rap would check out some of these songs.

DL Incognito
    A Sample And A Drum Machine

This disc is incredible! When i first downloaded some of the songs ithought it was okay, but it has definetly grown on me. DL has great lyrics and tells intresting stories. Needs to be checked out. Here are some of the best songs. If you only download one song out of this list, download one of these.
    -"Universal Love"
    -"Anticipation"
    -"What Dreams Are Made Of"
    -"Spit Forever pt. 2"
    -"Theres Something..."

Choclair
    His newest CD drops tommorow (the 24th). Here are some of his songs from this CD (Flagrant) and his last CD (The Memoirs Of Blake Savage).
    -"Skyline"
    -"Back Where I've Stayed"
    -"Light It Up"
    -"Skunk"

Dan-E-O
    Canadian underground, i doubt you'll find this on kazaa.
    -"We & You"

Brassmunk
    They have lots of good songs out, but this is their latest and its quite comical, esspically the video.
    -"BIG"

Tru Rez Crew
    Canadian aboriginal rap (Native Indians). He talks about life on the reservations, its an intresting look into their life and the problems they have and why they have their problems.
    -"I'm A Lucky One"

Classified
    Trial And Error

This guy is really good. He has made 8 albums, but this is his first major release, and some say he has gotten 15x better on this album. He already has two videos out and a third one comming for this album alone. I strongly suggest you check out this Halifax native. Some of the best songs are below.
    -"Heavy Artillery"
    -"Confused Confrontations"
    -"Unexpected"
    -"3 Beats and A MC"
    -"Gossip"

All the artists mentioned are worth checking out, but if you only check out one, check DL Incognito's disc, "A Sample And A Drum Machine"
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Here's hoping Canadian "rap" is better than Canadian "punk".
  • Brent%s's Photo
    I'll download a couple of each, if I like any of 'em, I'll buy a cd or two tomorrow. If not, there's always room for Hotel Paper in my CD Collection.
  • Cap'n Quack%s's Photo
    canadians...rap..those don't mix too well...

canadian rap... god the world is sad. 8@
  • Toon%s's Photo

canadian rap... god the world is sad.  8@

What the fuck are you talking about. Canada has an incredible music scene that is independent of the great American Music Machine. Our independent labels produce some of the best and most under listened to music in just about every genre there is. And no, the rhymes aren't all about seals and igloos.
  • KaiBueno%s's Photo

And no, the rhymes aren't all about seals and igloos.

Ahhh...but they ARE about beer, hockey, and curling! :p

Kai :yup:
  • cg?%s's Photo
    The best of Canadian rap? That would be Avril Lavigne... she kicks all the buttocks of all those idiots, anytime. Never heard her rap? Shame...

...and isn't Kid Koala Canadian? Not that he's rap, but he definitely is hip-hop...

Anywho...
  • CoasterWizard%s's Photo
    What about Buck 65?! They fucking rock.
    They're playing at the Folk Festival this year. *gets excited*
  • natelox%s's Photo
    Well put toon.

And buck 65, well one, i don't like them, and two, this is current Cd releases.
  • Cap'n Quack%s's Photo
    beer? really? cool. if it wasn't rap then I would deffinatly listen to it.
  • iris%s's Photo
    Toronto is actually a major rap scene, although that's really the only 'main' hip hop source in Canada.
    Im not too aware with these guys, all I've heard is Kardinal Offishal, who has his ups and downs. He has some great beats on his Firestarter album, and then was pretty good on the Clipse' Grindin Selector Remix, but Sean Paul was the best on that track. Sean Paul is the man.
    Anyways.
  • Toon%s's Photo

Ahhh...but they ARE about beer, hockey, and curling! :p

Kai  :yup:

Well, speaking of curling....somewhere on a tape I have a punk song called 'Curling' from the mid 80's. Now if only I could remember the name of the band. A buddy of mine has it on vinyl so I'll have to see if I can get it sampled to my computer. It was absolutely fucking hilarious....

Only in Canada!

As for Hockey and Beer....look no further than Stompin' Tom Connors!

'oooooh, the good old hockey game,
    it's the best game you can name.
    It's that best game you can name,
    that good ol' hockey game!'
  • natelox%s's Photo

Toronto is actually a major rap scene, although that's really the only 'main' hip hop source in Canada.

Not true. Vancouver has the Rascalz (Gone Platnum), Swollen Members (Gone Platnum), Mood Ruff and underground people. Halifax has Classified, who is amazing. Edmonton has War Party and Tru Rez Crew. Yes, Toronto has alot, most, but there is alot of talent outside of it.
  • Tech Artist%s's Photo
    Natelox i like your avatar. long live Murder Inc! my favorite is slim shady records because eminem owns the lable(i think) aand eminem is my favorite singer/rapper of all time! Long Live Slim Shady Records and Murder Inc.!
  • Andrew%s's Photo

canadian rap... god the world is sad.  8@

What the fuck are you talking about. Canada has an incredible music scene that is independent of the great American Music Machine. Our independent labels produce some of the best and most under listened to music in just about every genre there is. And no, the rhymes aren't all about seals and igloos.

Right on, the BareNaked Ladies are from Canada, my favorite band

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading