Micro Madness 2019 / MM3 R2 Wrap-up

What were the best R2 matches? (pick two)

• Liampie%s's Photo

Round 2 Wrap-up

The second round of Micro Madness 3 was, again, pretty succesful! We counted on 32 entries - instead we received 24 entries. Fortunately, four players from the reserves list took the opportunity to submit a park, making the total amount of submissions 28. As sad as it is to see some big names drop out and eliminated, like RCTFAN, Steve, Ling and Recurious, so exciting it is to see newcomers and underdogs like hoobaroo, Xtreme97 and ottersalad having fought their way into the sweet sixteen. 'Sweet sixteen' may be a misleading name - because Round 3 is the semi-finals. A massacre in which 75% of the remaining field will be eliminated! See the updated bracket below.

Nine players that placed third in their Round 2 groups are eligible as replacements in Round 3: Sulakke, MK98, Scoop, Jappy, roygbiv, MrTycoonCoaster, CHE, phann and Maverix.

The Round 3 deadline is May 19th 2019 at 23:59 GMT, 7:59 PM EST, 24:59 CET. Unlike last round there is no deadline extension for the groups whose matches were released last.

Share your thoughts on Round 2 and expectations for Round 3 below!

• Cocoa%s's Photo

standout entries

For me, the standout entries this round were probably AVC, whosleon, and In:cities, with a close honorable mention tier of ottersalad,roygbiv, hoobaroo, and xtreme97. Not to say I didn't really like loads of other ones, those were probably just my top picks of the last round.

predictions

s1: I think on paper this looks like a fucked tough group. But, so far I think liam, stoks and faas haven't been pushing as hard as they can. If they step up this round I could get fucked for sure, especially if I run out of time coz my real life is picking up a bit these days.

s2: I gotta give it to a solid, well rounded dr dirt entry. If he runs low on time though, whosleon can easily sweep. That said, avc is a huge competitor and jag is definitely a scary fourth. I'm very excited about this round...

s3: four really big 'ideas' sort of builders. I think tols is easily the most 'advanced' in this category but has been a bit reserved so far, and the others really have been flexing this competition- especially hoobaroo. I'd love to see hoob make the finals!

s4: another group of people who I never expected to last this far but I'm really happy they all did. Xtreme is a bit of crowd pleaser so we'll see if he can follow that up, which makes him my favorite so far. But, an entry more on the quality of itm's r1 could easily disrupt that, and josh has gotten crazy good recently. Otter's an underdog so probably has the lowest chance here but honestly he's good enough to slip through.

All up, four ridiculously tough and exciting matchups. Can't wait!

• KaiBueno%s's Photo

How to choose!  The last 4 groups are so talented.

• Liampie%s's Photo

I think Q1 and Q8 were the toughest groups, despite the latter having only three entries. These are the groups with the best entries missing out on top 2. Q4 gets a shout from me though.

As for R3... I love how SF1 is two Aussies and two Dutchies. Like Cocoa said not all of us have been consistently great so far, but we all have a very high ceiling and if we all bring our A game, this would be a AAAA-match. SF2 also looks insane, with potentially four fantastic fantasy entries. AVC is a frontrunner obviously, but dr dirt and WhosLeon are also two of the hottest parkmakers right now with proven micro skills. Jaguar is always a wildcard. SF3 seems to be the 'fun' and 'little thing' oriented match. In SF4 I'm not sure if otter can win, he'd need to step up his game. Xtreme is the man to beat here, but inthemanual is always dangerous and In:Cities has been consistently great so far. Man, all four matches look absolutely amazing. I hope all of you submit.

I also hope we get plenty of reserve entries. If there are more reserve entries than dropouts, we will try to use the leftover micros for a bonus match after the contest has ended. With your consent of course.

• In:Cities%s's Photo

I think I'm most excited to see AVC vs dirt vs Jaguarman vs Leo. Lots of creativity with these guys!

The Aussies vs the Dutchboys will be a really fun one to see as well. I'm excited to see Australia pt 3 by Stoksy, and whatever coco decides to build.

Tolsimir, cam, hoo, and BSG will be another interesting matchup to see. I expect a lot of big ideas and out of the box thinking.

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    Semi 2 is a death match. I expect it to be stronger than finals if everyone finishes and submits as strong as they have been.
  • Camcorder22%s's Photo

R2 Ranking (they were all good tho)

Cocoa - The Green Plague

Whosleon - Cappadocia

AvanineCommuter - All the King's Jewels

inthemanual - Where the Sidewalk Ends

Hoobaroo - Sky Midas

In:Cities - Andy's Room

Xtreme97 - Ever Upwards

Maverix - The Dawg Pound

dr dirt - Blood Moon

bigshootergill - Mushroom Kingdom Links

Jaguar - Woodland House of Tomorrow

Sulakke - Ha Long Bay

Tolsimir - 1k Museum

phann - Tower of Orthanc

Liampie - Writer's Block

Faas - A Day in Drumnadrochit

Jappy - Darjeeling Himalayan Railway

Stoksy - Moseley Square

CHE - Daytona Derby

mamarillas - Mech Hangar

ottersalad - Dry Dock 14J

roygbiv - Stasis

MK98 - La Residenza Di El Padrino

RWE - Drunken Sailor

Scoop - Borderlands - Caustic Caverns

MrTycoonCoaster - The Tower

Wacked - Doc's Haywire Adventure

Predictions:

Semi 1: Cocoa is the favorite here as he's seemingly effortlessly cranked out top tier entries, though Liam could beat him if he has time issues.  Stoksy and Faas have built consistently very nice entries too but might not be able to win this match with their style.  

Semi 2: This ones a bloodbath that could go anyones way but AVC might actually be my favorite right now with two conceptually and compositionally incredible entries so far.  If dirt's R3 is as mind blowing as he's been hinting compared to his first two, he could take it as well though.  I don't think a perfect Leon entry beats a perfect dirt of AVC entry just concept wise.  Jag will build something good as well and has a more than 0% chance of upset, but is in a tough spot.  

Semi 3: I might actually choose hoobaroo as the favorite here just because he's improving rapidly and seems to be taking the competition seriously.  Tolsimir is a close second, I assume he saved his fun entry for R2 and think he could win if he really wanted to, but not sure he will.  BSG will for sure do something creative and could take second but I'm not sure he will win the match at this stage.  I'm totally boned just about any way you look at it unless someone can ship me a bottle of stimulants and/or psychedelics.  

Semi 4: Having trouble choosing between Xtreme, who built one of the best micros we've ever seen, and ITM, who has won the contest before.  I think ITM would be the safer choice here but gonna go with predicting Xtreme for the upset.  Glad to still see Josh and Otter in it and sure we'll see nice entries from them again too but they're gonna have a tough time beating these all time micro greats.  

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading