RCT Discussion / NE Awards 2020 - Community Nominations

• Scoop%s's Photo

best idea - rushing water under rainmaker

• Recurious%s's Photo

best idea - rushing water under rainmaker

I know Scoop already said this but I just wanna double down on this because it blew my mind.

• Liampie%s's Photo

I nominate the deconstructed temple in FK's Nepal park (have yet to memorise the name) for best idea. And the same map for best architecture and possibly atmosphere, as well as non-coaster ride.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

the new thin/ realistic waterfall objects in tols/leons croatia entry deserve some sort of nomination (idea? object?). as well as generally that waterfall area for best landscaping.

• Ge-Ride%s's Photo

I don't know if it's been done before but Roomie's morphing trains in Virus were a very cool idea. If it's new then I nominate that.

• posix%s's Photo

These thoughts are helpful guys, please keep going as we're nearing the end of the year.

• FK+Coastermind%s's Photo

Some nomination ideas:

Timber Valley

-Best Steel Coaster for Timberwolf

-Best Steel Coaster for Cougar Strike

-Best Custom Ride for either Tomahawk or Crane Disaster

-Depending on the award categories, best area or aesthetics or something for that glory that is the interaction factory of Timberwolf and the log flume.

-Also, best sculptures for all the highly detailed industrial machines

Canary Mines

-Best Mine Train for Runaway Railroad

-Similar to TV, best sculptures for all dem machines

-Best Wooden Coaster for Timber Wolf

-Best non-coaster ride for Canary Wildlife Preserve Tour

Silver Lake Amusement Park

-Best Steel Coaster for Champion

-Best Steel Coaster for Xsanity

-Best Wooden Coaster for Bigfoot (I feel this the most, easily a top coaster this year IMO)

-Best non-coaster ride for Master Blaster

Phototrophian

-Best Fantasy

-Best Landscaping

• posix%s's Photo

Reading Phototrophian, how about adding a "Best Crunch" award this year?

Best Crunch would be good, definitely a handful of contenders:

-Photogrophian

-Ombezi

-Carnival de Maravillas

-Rovinj

• SSSammy%s's Photo

community award - cp6 for his detailed tutorials and streams

• Coaster-GEOFF%s's Photo

I'd need a "crunch" defenition first though... bring it on!

Also had this thought: Would it be better to section the 'best park' category by size? I feel like with GT and some of the other stuff going on this year, we have a lot more range than usual between micros, full-sized solos, and mid-sized, almost H2H sized parks. Adding a micro and almost like 'mid-sized' category could give a bit more room to recognize great parks that weren't 10,000+ tiles and 12 coasters. But, maybe now that I'm saying it most of those were GT parks and a typical end of contest awards would cover that? 

Geoff, crunch is hard to pin down, and those with more developer/design background probably have a better definition, but I think of it as an added level of detail that is intended to make something feel more real, more immersive. Think of playing a first-person shooter and walking into a room where each wall is a single uniform color. Then think of the same but now each surface has a few shades of color that give some  depth. Now think a pattern has been added to the walls to make them look like brick. Then maybe different textures, different colors for each brick, maybe different shades to show discoloration over time, smaller changes in the mortar, small changes to the size of the bricks to make them feel uneven, maybe some holes where pictures were once hung. Add to all that windows, wall hangings, doorways, furniture, characters, each with their own small details and considerations. Crunch is all those layers of smaller changes and edits. Individually they seem insignificant, you as the player may very likely move through the space without noticing them, but together they create a more realistic and detailed backdrop for your experience that immerses you in the game you're playing. 

• Liampie%s's Photo

I think we've had a separation by size in some previous editions too, I think 2020 is a year where it makes sense. Good suggestion.

• Coaster-GEOFF%s's Photo

Geoff, crunch is ....

And there I was, thinking "crunch" was just an NE meme that didn't have a real explenation, lol.

So my question was actually retorical and you surprised me with a solid answer, haha!
    Thanks!

• posix%s's Photo

I think part of the allure of crunch is its ambiguity.

And FK I've been wanting to create even different accolade categories per size for a while, so I'm much in favour of your suggestion.

• nin%s's Photo

"Best Crunch" being a category would be the epitome of my RCT career. 

Also @ fk, that was a great explanation. Bravo. 

• Liampie%s's Photo

Last call for more suggestions for these categories:

- Best Idea

- Best Steel Coaster

- Best Wooden Coaster

- Best Non-Coaster Ride

- Best Architecture

- Best Foliage & Landscaping

- Best Atmosphere

- Best Aesthetics

- Best Ride Design

If you have other suggestions, sure, post them too!

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    Last call? Are awards early this year?
  • posix%s's Photo

*not late

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    Shameless self nom for Xtremo and Tarantula from Whispering Cliffs for best non coaster ride.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading