H2H9 / H2H9: Round Robin - R7M3 - Logan's Run vs Adventurers Club

This topic hosts comments for 2 parks(View Parks)

Select your favourite park.

1. Highlands by Logan's Run 34 votes [85.00%]
    • Liampie
    • Goliath123
    • olddtfan51
    • Kumba
    • Thethrillman
    • RobDedede
    • Pacificoaster
    • tabard424
    • geewhzz
    • Faas
    • bigshootergill
    • Magnus
    • Suormot
    • pants
    • Shen Kitchen
    • wheres_walto
    • FK+Coastermind
    • saxman1089
    • G Force
    • AvanineCommuter
    • Lowenaldo
    • SupraSix
    • deanosrs
    • Turtle
    • Dr_Dude
    • Lurker
    • posix
    • Astroturd
    • zxbiohazardzx
    • RWE
    • Wulfke
    • MK98
    • MCI
    • Milo
    Percentage of vote: 85.00%
  2. House by the Sea by the Adventurers Club 6 votes [15.00%]
    • Mulder
    • spacek531
    • A n d r e w
    • chorkiel
    • 6crazy6king6
    • ultro
    Percentage of vote: 15.00%
  • Ge-Ride%s's Photo

I looked at the Adventurer's Club park first. Very atmospheric. It wasn't so much that it was bad but it was a simple idea and the swampy area didn't help it much because it was so bare and all and the rest couldn't quite make up for it, like the rooms inside the house. Still, the celestial part was quite inspired and it felt like a great idea overall. It's just that the game's evolved so much that you have to be superb if you want to compete. This park was more than good.

Highlands was a little things sort of park. Very microdetailed and enough to see for at least 3 or 4 viewings. It was like Villlerouge sur Mer but it had a good enough coaster that it wasn't just urban candy. If I were able to view this matchup on time it would have gotten my vote.

Solid work from both. I see a lot of potential in House by the Sea and if you come up with more little details to support the main idea you could make something great.

• NovaRogue%s's Photo

A Laganja reference on NEdesign? I could not believe it

Let's get sickening okurrrrrrrr

• Jene%s's Photo

Finally found some time to get a proper look at House by the Sea. I don't understand anything of what is going on in this park, but I love it anyway. Feels kinda Ghibli, Murakami-like to me. I love the white-to-blue structures up above, the quaint fields in the front and the sharp contrast of the white and red beach. Also the toyroom is beautifully done. Hope you guys finish this later on or use some of these elements in a different park. 

• Cocoa%s's Photo

highlands: this park is just plain fun. I really enjoyed my browsing experience here, seeing all the funny cliches and jokes. I particularly liked 420 rail blazer, I hope that was the inpiration for the park in the first place. But also the bong water plung and the slow go karts had me chuckling. Also, who knew the greek letters would end up being such good graffiti lettering?? wild. as a park, its pretty good, nothing to complain about---standard american themeing at varying levels of detail and execution. But all up just good stuff.

house by the sea: its a mess, of course, but its still crazy and cool. the stuff thats more finished looked to be shaping up nicely, like the subtle water reflections, the backside surreal space stuff, and especially the blue formations up top with the big balloon with gold fringes. i'll always go nuts for atmospheric surreal shit. we should build together some time maybe...

• Otsdarva%s's Photo

Some things I would like to share about House by the Sea:

The trains for the main roller coaster, Sweet Dreams, meet at the loop at 12 and complete the loop at 3. However, this is only the case for a few cycles because the clock's hand move a tad slower than my test builds even though I replicated the building process for it for the main map exactly the same as the off map tests. Due to lack of time, I didn't investigate further and figured the few cycles that show the correct timing are enough for the viewer's attention.

I originally built the roller coaster at a much lower altitude where various parts interacted with the lower levels such as the barrel roll going right above the water coaster's main drop and the turnaround before the mid-course brake run circling the heart chamber. The second launch was supposed to pierce through/go around a balcony above the party hall. I misunderstood the way Hoob wanted for the House's composition where he wanted the more fantastical elements to be higher in the sky so the entire ride was raised.

Speaking of the heart chamber, I decided to make the chains animated to convey that the heart is beating instead of a stationary piece. It's a bit hard to see in the current build so here's a clearer gif: https://i.imgur.com/klBXFBF.gifv

Reflecting back, I shouldn't have spent so much time consolidating the three chains into a single ride because it was a waste of precious time that could've been spent building anything else.

Supposedly the hallway floods occasionally and the water deposits into this flooded room "below"

Attached Image: flooded room.PNG

It would be Escher style because that room is actually not directly below and it is supposed to be viewable only from one angle taking advantage of being situated at the corner and obstructed by the hourglass and the House itself from the other angles. Due to time constraints the flooding "vehicles" weren't rebuilt from the test area to the main map. Here's how it would look like: https://i.imgur.com/Li8CJed.gifv

Because the rooms were hastily pasted into the map, the whole thing is difficult to read so here are some pics of the individual rooms:

Attached Image: bedroom.PNG

Made by Hoobz

Attached Image: mirror room.PNG

Made by Hoobie

Attached Image: library.PNG

Made by otsdy

Attached Image: playroom.PNG

Made by Hooba

Attached Image: room1.PNG

Made by Hoobaroooo

Attached Image: study.PNG

Made by me

Here are some things that didn't make it into the map at all:

Some clouds:

Attached Image: cloud1.PNG

Attached Image: cloud2.PNG

Both made by Hoobby

Swinging light bulb room:

https://i.imgur.com/VhOkCFJ.gifv

The dark tile "vehicles" extend beyond the room's boundaries so that would've been problematic. It was also very glitchy and didn't turn out as well as I had imagined.

Dark room:

https://i.imgur.com/0OhWF8S.gifv

Because of the House's obstruction, it gave the opportunity to take advantage of two viewable angles so this was going to be a perspective trick.

• CedarPoint6%s's Photo

Here's 2 video reviews for Match 3!

First, an Inside Look featuring Zarathustra on the making of Highlands: https://youtu.be/xHJCSViKTfY

And my review of House by the Sea: https://youtu.be/o-LsLsgiWqU

• Gustav Goblin%s's Photo

The swinging light bulb is next level, Ots. A real shame you and Hoob couldn't finish in time; just based on what we have and what you showed, House would've been both a technical and artistic masterpiece.

• hoobaroo%s's Photo

Hello, everyone! A bit strange to return here after all this time but I simply had an itch. Maybe to celebrate the incoming new year, maybe to return to something that personally felt unresolved. Either way, something compelled me.

https://docs.google....ZQsEtnmkM4/edit

A short play, and a little backstory.

This is a short play I wrote for a theater class that I was taking at the time, called "Train". I wrote and finished it right around the time that H2H9 had kicked into gear, circa May 2021. I didn't write it in conjunction with/for House by the Sea, but looking back, I clearly see now that these two completely separate works are, personally, inseparable. So it didn't feel right to be holding onto the other half after all this time.

My professor was very enthusiastic about the play, and a year later, as far as I know, it was put on and performed (with my permission) by some actors/thespians in school. I had completely removed myself from the production, and I didn't contribute anything beyond the script, as I personally felt that it was missing a resolution, an answer, and that I wasn't satisfied with just how it ended (even though it is the right ending for the script alone). And to be frank, I was not ready to see it performed, as it was very personal to me, and I did not feel equipped to embark on that path. I felt much pain surrounding it. I now feel that House was, in many ways, an extension of the play, and perhaps even the resolution, or the next step beyond it. House was my way of making sense of "Train", of exploring and confronting it. And so, the theater production did not have House by the Sea, and you all did not have "Train", and I ended up not getting a resolution to either, haha.

As for the creative process of House itself, I also now realize that there was not much of a chance that it could have succeeded. I was withholding crucial parts of what the piece was really about, for myself, and thus making it impossible to access creatively for the other builders, outside of guessing. It was too vulnerable for me, and so it was by design that I would try and fail alone to complete an impossible task. 

Finally, this is maybe why I return to write this all out. I continue after all this time to feel a deep gratitude to this community, for this moment of time in my life. I was dealing with so much outside of the contest at the time, from mental health problems, to family struggles, my life was chaotic and catastrophically turbulent. Some were aware of this at the time, especially Josh who really was an amazing friend to me. This contest, and more broadly NE, was perhaps the first time I felt truly safe expressing myself on a personal level to a community, putting my soul into something and having the bravery, the safety of sharing it with others. It was one of the main factors that I look back at that year of chaos as simultaneously one of the worst and best years of my entire life. As I've grown and developed myself, my sense of stability and strength, I think I've unconsciously restrained the more creative side of myself in fear of what being so vulnerable could lead to, secretly holding onto the belief that one day I could be strong enough to show it again without destroying myself, hurting others. Daring one day to be brave. And maybe, going into the future, I now look back at this creation, this moment, not as a failure, but as a triumph, of giving and sharing myself with you all. 

So, thank you all. I love you NE!

• WhosLeon%s's Photo

always nice to see you active, dude. really nice to get some backstory to the project and of course great to hear that you seem to be in a better place now. the way you think about rct is really unique and makes you of great value in this community, i think. please stick around!

• In:Cities%s's Photo

Lets just say the incompleteness makes it complete.

Love you big guy - always glad to hear from you

• Liampie%s's Photo

I'm grateful that you've shared these stories with us. House by the Sea (and some of your other work) manage to evoke feelings that the English language cannot easily grasp. I hope you will continue to share your work here, and f not, I hope that you will continue to explore your artistic side in another medium.

• Turtle%s's Photo

Powerful play, thanks for sharing. Happy that you chose RCT to explore some of these things, hope life is good!

• Gustav Goblin%s's Photo

Been waiting to hear you talk more about House for a while; regardless of its unfinished state its evocative nature is unlike almost anything else I've seen here. Funnily enough, even though both House and Train are unfinished in some capacity I feel like they complete each other. Both are centered around the cold, unrelenting progression of time further dividing you from that hazy memory you desperately want to cling to. The same visual motifs are there throughout, and House almost feels like Train in reverse as you leave the cold and pass by the train as you approach the house. Being able to sit back and view something like House as an important stepping stone rather than a complete failure is so important to the creative process. This mentality defined my year as part of NE and I know we're far from alone in that regard. Keep growing and expressing yourself dude. We're so lucky to have you.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

NE sees a lot of different artists but I kindly believe you're one of the most artistic people who have ever graced us. Really enjoyed reading your play!

• Ethan%s's Photo

reposting from discord 

"

1. bigshootergill Today at 9:02 PM
      Drug park was already done

2. there has been two as far as Im aware

3. Wits End was themed to the concept of "ego death" which is an experience of self-forgetfulness exhibited while under the influence of psychoactive drugs such as psilocybin which is found in species of psilocybe cubensis mushrooms such as what are coloqueally known as "penis envy mushrooms" or "magic mushrooms" (edited)

4. it is really an amazing concept
    5. According to the infamous,  polarizing and neurotic Joe Rogan, the concept of santa clause was developed around deers consuming psychoactive mushrooms and jumping/galloping around ("flying") off of these red and white colored mushrooms

whether this is actually accurate I do not know but it's an interesting idea
      this likeness is very similar to Super Mario aswell
    8. which is another funny touch

9. I saw the cure off of like 4 and I felt like I was inflating and drifting towards the stage reaching towards robert smith and his angelic voice

10. the overall experience must be what it is like for a devout christian to attend a mega-church

11. anyways, great park

12. and of course highland has fantastic color and ride design

13. such an awesome park and pairs nicely with the introspectiveness of House by the Sea

14. both parks kind of feel like the low to high spectrum of smoking pot

15. the seasoned, chill just hanging around and the anxiety, self reflective, paranoia and that feeling of "why did I say that thing 14 years ago"

16. I know I am really wrambling but after reading "Train" it just has this feeling of every oppurtunity that got away. Just sucha gorgeous park and I hope @hoobaroo builds sometime soon maybe for H2H. One of my top builders I want to build with for sure"

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading