Ask the Experts / ENTRANCES

• sloB%s's Photo
    Just a general question about how anybody does there entrances. I just started really my first mega park which will have a full blown entrance and im already stuck. here are the main things on my mind:(Please dont just say its all personal preference, i want input)

Whats better making just an unthemed basic plaza or blending it into one of my themes?

Are parking lots a necessary thing for a GOOD Park?

what r some of the basic neccessities?
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Well, a lot of people make entrances as part of a theme. For example, the Legends West entrance is mexican. I quite like this style of entrance because it separates it from its surroundings but also makes it an experience in itself. Kind of like the Mediterranian entrance at Port Aventura in Barcelona - draws you in before you go to your first themed area.

Others actually include the entrance in a full blown area. For example, Fatha' made his entrance part of the Avalon area in Tropico Horizons, along with a large and astonishingly good coaster (Paladin). Schuessler did that with his entrance to Moonlight Magic, too - it's a part of Alexandria. The thing with this style is that although the entrance may actually be a part of a larger area, it is still discernable, still 'obvious' as an entrance. Look at TH - the entrance is obvious with its large building spanning a large pathed area, with ticket offices and surrounding guest relations etc. The entrance to Moonlight Magic has the Moonlight Square. I think this style is a little bit more complex than the first one I described - both share the expanded pathed area style, with small areas of gardens/shrubs, but this style relies on the entrance being able to melt INTO a full area. I've never tried this myself, and I have a feeling it'd be harder than the first style.

Of course, if you're going for realism, then you need to look at entrances by Aero and the like. They generally seem to be tarmac-ed plazas surrounded by cool themed buildings with a couple of fountains and maybe an observation tower or something. I like this type of entrance too, but I often find them to be a little 'characterless'. However, I have seen some examples which are done very well with expertly themed buildings made up for the slight lack of 'theme'.

Whichever you decide to use is often dependent on what the rest of the park is going to be like, IMO. Realism demands realism, of course. If you're going to make a park with obvious themed areas (ie with little continuity between areas, eg womb) then I'd say go with the first type of entrance. But, I still find the second type cool, and i'm always quite impressed by entrances that are combined with an area...always suggests some level of planning and continuity.

Looking back i'm not sure a lot of that made sense. Just quickly, i'd say some of these entrances might be of inspiration:

Sea World Atlanta by RRP
    Harakiri's Islands of Adventure by Harakirii
    Tropico Horizons by Fatha' Grinch
    Universal's Outrage by X-Sector
    Legends West by sacoasterfreak
    Masters Isle by NE
    Forbidden Falls by RCTMasters (Kurlas will never be forgotten!)

As for parking lots, frankly I think they suck. What's the point? Bah, why have cars polluting your park when you can have pretty trees, water and rocks? Or, even better, more rides and buildings! But, if realism's what you want... i'm a bit dissapointed at the proponence of parking lots in rct parks, but I guess people like to show off their pathing skills and whatnot...they could at least make them interesting, like with multilevels and obstacle courses...or even themed car parks with big sculptures and caves! COME ON PEOPLE, TARMAC EXPANSES ARE FOR LOSERS. GET THAT LANDSCAPING TOOL AND WAKE THE FUCK UP. The first person to build an obstacle-car-park with pitfalls and fire-traps wins.

And finally these are the things i'd expect to see in any entrance:

Ticket Offices.
    Be it ticket 'takers', as seen in IOAH by Schuessler, or the classic Information Desks under cover, as seen in most parks you'd care to look at, these are pretty staple.

Water/Garden features.
    The classic plaza with single/double tiled gardens and trees surrounded by fences and benches is a great formula that should live on in RCT. Nothing like a good sit down and some colourful foliage. Or a cool fountain.

Surrounding Buildings.
    Things like Guest Relations, cafes and the odd toilet are always a good thing. I'd say HIOA by Harakirii has the best selection of these sorts of things

Something special.
    Entrances shouldn't be boring, that's for sure. Often people add a merry-go-round or a ferris wheel or something. I'd rather there was a cool sculpture (PoD in Outrage) or a tower (IOA parks).

Hope this helps. I think the main key is just learn from others. Find something you like and try and emulate it. Copy it, if you want, because through copying you can begin to develop your own twist on things, and that's one of the first steps to building things that both you and other people can enjoy.
  • sloB%s's Photo
    damn nig.

you ccouldnt have helped me out anymore. Ive started my entrance actually and its kinda of a mining theme one. I was origanly goin to blend it into my first theme (park name Busch Gardens Sant Crùz, so i thought i would blend the entrance into my mexican area) but the area would have been way to big so i decided to go for the mining theme. I also did look at somehting i liked and im adapting it in my own way. (RRP's Rampage themeing) Anyway thanks for all the help Mantis. You won the award not only for being the best parkmaker but for shit like this too
  • mantis%s's Photo
    I guess I was feeling generous :)
    And I like entrances so it's fun to talk about them.
  • rctfreak2000%s's Photo
    Or you can be like me and just not build 'em! :D

;)
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Spoilsport.

Heed my words, dammit!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading