NE 20th Anniversary / H2H Mock Draft - All Stars Edition

Which teams are the best?

• Xtreme97%s's Photo

Last night on the discord, we held a H2H mock draft with Gustav, Liampie, Xtreme, Kumba, Scoop and Recurious picking teams. As a tie-in with the 20th Anniversary celebrations, this time the field was open to the full roster of H2H players since the very first edition all the way up to H2H9, and the mock captains were also eligible to be picked with captains of each team being decided after. An additional rule was enforced that each team must draft two players from any edition pre-H2H5, to make sure they weren't just focused on present day players. The final teams are outlined below, with a poll to decide which team is best.

Attached Image: mock_draft_14_05_2022.png

• Xtreme97%s's Photo

Other mock captains, feel free to post your roster and lineup in the comments!

Heaven's Retirement Home
    1. Liam ©
    2. Turtle
    3. Cocoa
    4. Alex (VC)
    5. ANDREW
    6. Rene
    7. Pierrot
    8. StormRunnerFan
    9. Ride6
    10. RCTFAN
    11. Loopy (F)
    12. Posix

R1: Liam + Alex + RCTFAN + Loopy
    R2: Turtle + Cocoa + Ride6 + Loopy
    R3: ANDREW + RCTFAN + SRF + Loopy
    R4: Alex + Rene + Pierrot + Loopy (RCT2)
    R5: Liam + Cocoa + Loopy + Posix (LL)
    SF: Turtle + Alex + ANDREW
    F: Liam + Cocoa + Rene + SRF + Ride6

The thinking behind my team started out focused on atmosphere and aesthetics, largely drawing from recent H2Hs with Cocoa, Alex, ANDREW and Rene. Turtle is of course a legend with atmospheric works, and Liam can theme almost anything and has an unstoppable H2H drive. I then decided to dip into the LL space with Pierrot (and already having Liam, Alex and Cocoa), who has also shown excellent RCT2 work that was well ahead of its time. I think his versatility pairs well with Alex who has that ability to jump between a variety of aesthetics with ease. StormRunnerFan felt like a steal so couldn't resist at that point, and I think Glacier Cove shows an excellent dedication to small details. The remaining picks were largely based on all-time status and potential pairings. Ride6 is a superb fantasy player, RCTFAN can make magic as proven with Kukuana and Vampyre if he shows up, Loopy has a deep catalogue of excellent LL parks which could match well with Liam and Cocoa, even if the obvious LL pairing seems to be Alex and Pierrot (who could very well lead a knock-out LL park alone). Posix is more than just a meme pick too, I think he could match that LL grouping very nicely when he's not running the site.

• Recurious%s's Photo

Okay so let me elaborate on why exactly I chose my picks and what my strategy is.

So first off I really wanted to start with AVC, WhosLeon or Tolsimir. Reason being these were imo some of the MVP's from last season. Even though the choice was made for me I feel like Tolsimir is a good pick. He has shown to be a good captain last season and is also one of the best performing H2H players of all time according to Liam's excel sheet.

After my first pick was locked in I decided to choose FK as my second choice. My reasoning was as follows: both players can produce very high quality content, but more importantly, both players are also very flexible and can do both Fantasy and Realism. I am last to pick so I have to wait a long time before I can pick again. I don't know what players will be left at this point and by picking two flexible players as my top picks I can decide to pivot my team later on still depending on the picks available. Also this pick gave me one of the two required pre H2H5 picks.

When my third pick came around I decided to go for shogo, this is a bit of a wildcard and probably my riskiest pick, but the quality is there. Shogo is also a fast builder and again has that flexibility of being able to do both fantasy and realism. If we ever get into a manpower issue in my team I know shogo will pull through for us. Also pretty good for ghostbuilding.

After that I decided to pick Robbie92, honestly I think picking Robbie92 in round 4 is a freaking steal. Robbie is reasonably highly ranked in Liam's spreadsheet and having worked with Robbie92 in the last two H2H robbie generally pulls weight. In the last two H2H's Robbie won all the match ups he has been a part of. Robbie just delivers the quality and the wins.

The next two picks were a bit less flexible and on opposite sides of the spectrum.

For my next round I decided to go with Hoobaroo. I remember getting destroyed by Stardust and this time our team will be the team bringing the Stardust to the opponents. House at the Sea was unfinished but with shogo on my team I feel like any unfinished hoobaroo work could be easily touched up and finished. I am also a sucker for fantasy so would love to work with Hoobaroo on that. Because of the flexibility with fantasy in my first 3 picks I can pair hoobaroo with any of those three players and have them smack out something amazing.

Afterwards I decided to go with dr dirt. He was my captain last season and I think he did a pretty good job. He also has a pretty good H2H history with multiple championship wins. World of Tim Burton, Galaxy Geeland, Dig Site 4,  Zerzura, Bellum Aeternus. All winning parks. Dirt also brings good landscaping skills to our team and could be paired up well with someone like Robbie, someone he has worked together with often in the past in H2H.

After this my picks are a bit more random. I picked Stoksy because he was just a good player that was left and I didn't think he'd last another round. He also has a decent H2H track record and could pair well with any of my other realism players.

The same reasoning was also why I chose inthemanual, although his H2H track record isn't that good looking purely at the stats, he is still a very good player and can deliver quality work. He would be a good complimenting player to one of my higher picks and has also shown flexibility in his H2H parks regarding style.

After this I picked Louis. I picked him for multiple reasons: he can deliver good layouts to our team, he could pair well with Robbie and he was again another strong player that was just left. Also I am a big fan of his Circus Circus park from H2H7 and in general I think he has a pretty decent H2H record.

BarNID was my next pick, chose him because of his work on El Dorado. Also he seems decently active so I figured he would be a good pick to have on the team.

For my last two picks I first I picked RCTNW, this is mainly because I needed another pre-H2H5 player and I have always been a fan of his work. Not sure how other people may view this pick but I would be excited to work with him.

For my last pick I picked myself as floater. Reasoning being: I'd love to work with all the people I picked; I picked them for a reason, so you bet your ass I would be motivated as fuck to work with this team. Giving myself a floater spot means I can jump in on any park. During each of the two H2H seasons I have been in I have always had large shares in parks and large player shares overall. (64% in H2H8, 100% in H2H9). For this hypothetical H2H I wouldn't do that. I would make sure my top picks/heavy hitters would be leading parks and delivering that quality. I usually devote a lot of time to H2H, as floater I can spread this time over each park and make sure that every park we make gets finished and we never have to deliver anything even remotely resembling unfinishedness.

For pairings I was thinking of something like this:

R1: Shogo + Hoobaroo + FK + Recurious (F), fantasy park of the ages.

R2: Robbie92 + Louis (layouts) + inthemanual + Recurious (F), Realism park, I could see this group making something inspired like Ocean Park Hong Kong, the section near Hair Raiser. That would combine best assets from each player: Robbie Asian architecture (see Tubiao), Hair Raiser layout by Louis (see NE work bench), landscaping by in themanual (see Whispering cliffs), I would tie things up in the end and make sure everything is finished.

R3: Stoksy + RCTNW + BarNID + Recurious (F). Another realism park, each of these players have a tendency to build what I like to call colourful realism. Realistic stuff that has very happy colours. I think they would pair well.

R4: Tolsimir + dr dirt + inthemanual + Recurious (F). This would be a semi-fantasy park similar to Zerzura but with more of a heavy focus on landscaping. All three players have a good track record for this so I am sure it would be good.

R5: Shogo + Robbie92 + Recurious (F). This could be a semi-realism heavy detailled architecture focused park. Maybe something like port of entry but with all the glitching fixed by Robbie's attention for detail. If by this point we have already placed ourselves in the semi's I'd save this park for our semi finals and submit a filler park.

SF: Tolsimir + FK + Recurious (F). Here I am thinking a fantasy park again. But it could also potentially be something realism related like Tromso or Christchurch city center.

Finals: Robbie92 + Shogo + dr dirt + inthemanual + stoksy. A realism park with again a focus on landscaping. Stoksy brings in the nice colours in the end to make it all tie together.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Cocoa
  • Kumba%s's Photo

The Hurricanes

Hydroportal

Pacificoaster

Corkscrewed (VC)

Kumba ©

Xtreme97

Fatha'

Phatage

Scoop

natelox

mamarillas

Toon

Roomie (F)

Possible match-ups:

R1: Hydro + Xtreme97 + Toon + Roomie (So many new objects it's just amazing) 

R2: Pac + Cork + Scoop + Roomie (Perfect RCT2 Disney Park)
    R3: Fatha + natelox + Phatage + Roomie (Perfect LL Disney Park) 
    R4: Xtreme97 + Mamarillas + Kumba + Roomie (Jungle park with insane gimmick) 
    R5: Cork + Toon + natelox + Roomie (Villerouge, just Italy instead) 
    SF: Kumba + Hydro + Phatage + Roomie (MGM Studios)
    Finals: Pac + Fatha +Xtreme97 + Kumba + Cork + Roomie (EPCOT)

If I had the top pick, I would have went with geewhzz, but he went second and I was happy to take the reigning MVP, Hydro. He's very productive, skilled, popular and I think he'd be a top-level workhorse.

Next pick I had to go with the maker of the best H2H park ever. My only concern was my tendency for bad luck when Pac and I met in H2H (except on Lotte World).

Cork was a steal in round 3. IMO, the all-time best person to have on an H2H. True talent and tenacious builder who I would love to see build in 2022.

Fourth pick... me. Why me!? Because these other five assholes didn't pick me in the first three rounds! lol. Frankly, I wanted to be on my own team. It's like when we did fantasy H2H8, I drafted myself on almost all my teams. Wanted that accountability here. As the #1 "power ranked" player, didn't think I would be undrafted much longer at this point.

Knowing my team would be drafting a lot of past studs, I wanted to work in some players with modern skillsets. I was pretty shocked no one had picked X97, especially after Liam and I were picked. Really, just look at the discord list to the right! I think he was a total steal and a great fit with my top 2 picks for sure.

Fatha was my 4th MVP picked and an absolute monsters back in the day. He and Cork were pretty much known as the two best builders in the world from 2003-2007ish. Who knows what they would build today, but you can't forget that they were the best at the game for many years and could surely rise to the top again.

Phatage was my under-the-radar steal I had a feeling I would get. He's a ture RCT Swiss army knife, coasters, fantasty, realism, ect. just few things he cannot do.

This is where I screwed up and didn't draft Airtime, because it didn't click in my head how big he'd be for our Disney parks. Still, I drafted a third mock captain in Scoop and think he's a great pick. Even in the H2H9 draft I was shocked he went so low in R10. His work on (three!) AC parks was outstanding. He's still too underrated.

natelox, see Cork/Fatha^ same deal and could help us make an insane LL park which is almost unbeatable if people vote honestly.

The pick that took me over 5 mins, lol. It was mainly due looking at work by mamarillas and Jens J to decide who would be better to possibly bring the DKMP skillset. Happy with my pick, but sad Jens did not get picked.

Toon was an easy pick. He might be known as the godfather of RCT2 custom objects, but he was an outstanding duel-game player too.

Roomie was my dream floater pick. He's one of the most active players ever at NE and such a nice guy that I am sure he would not mind doing some floater-type work, plus he makes CRTs!

Sadly, I didn't get a chance to draft guys like Mulder, Mantis, SpaceK, Jens and Otter. It just shows how insane this draft was.
  • Gustav Goblin%s's Photo
    AnAchronistic AmAlgAmAtion (or AAAAAA) 
    Gustav Goblin
    AVC
    J K
    Fisch
    nin ©
    bigshootergill
    sloB
    K0nG (VC)
    BelgianGuy
    Airtime
    Six Frags
    Terry Inferno
    Saxman (F)

R1: K0NG/Belgian/Saxman (Son of Frankenstein)
    R2: Airtime/Nin/sloB/Saxman (Realism)
    R3: Fisch/Six Frags/Gustav/Saxman (Exotic Far-Off Country)
    R4: J K/K0NG/sloB/Saxman (Throwback Thursday)
    R5: AVC/BSG/Terry/Saxman (Obligatory Fantasy Park Like How Could I Not)
    SF: Airtime/Fisch/Belgian/Saxman (Disney)
    F: J K/AVC/BSG/Six Frags/Nin (AAAAAA title park with a bunch of elements from different time periods smooshed into one big H2H-winning map)

Didn't expect to be in this draft, but Kumba invited me and no one else was around so I decided why not. I went into round 1 set on Geewhzz for obvious reasons, but as I looked at Kumba's cheat sheet I realized AVC has been a consistent force in H2Hs and has all the spectacle a modern H2H park practically requires. His first H2H park also completely changed the way I look at RCT2 so how could I not.

I was set on a one-two punch of Turtle and J K for round 2, who would both fit the minimum of two players from H2H4 or earlier and mesh with AVC's style. That scoundrel Xtreme yoinked Turtle from me and I learned the true downside of having first pick in a draft. I just as quickly found a great replacement in Fisch, who has also consistently wowed over the last few H2Hs.

Nin was definitely on my mind around this point (despite having no idea that apparently Fisch and Nin on the same team is not a good idea) and I was lucky to snag him. Now comes the point where I have no idea who anyone is. I hastily snag BSG due to his Elite Parkmaker status and the worldbuilding genius he could bring to AAAAAA.

Help. Help me. What the hell is going on. Every big name has been taken including some picks I thought I had in the bag and I'm freaking the hell out. It takes me about half an hour to pick these two just because I'm AFK, on my phone, and don't have a list outside of the cheatsheet to resort to. I ended up snagging two more old heads with H2H history; sloB, a solid realism pick who wowed with Gotheburg, and K0NG, captain of the Reservoir Dogs and now vice captain of AAAAAA.

At this point I start making a list. I quickly and quietly snag BelgianGuy, who had an incredible H2H8 with Team Spacecrab and immediately followed K0NG who he collaborated with on Frankenstein in H2H6. Then I remember Airtime made one H2H park and thoroughly shatter Kumba's dreams.

Things are getting tight, but somehow Six Frags is still wide open! I snag him and follow him up with a Gustav mock draft staple, Terry Inferno. It's then I realize we're already on round 11 and Terry could do some impressive floater work on both CSO and NCSO parks. I conclude the draft with a MVP that somehow flew under the radar until the very last opening; Saxman, the best floater H2H has ever seen. It took me a while to determine a floater, but I realized not having Spacecrab's floater would be a waste and claimed Saxman.

Hardest mock draft I've ever captained but still fun nonetheless. Honored to have taken a part in this!
  • Gustav Goblin%s's Photo

So I just remembered Kumba and I made history with a mock trade. With that said, here's the new AAAAAA!

AnAchronistic AmAlgAmAtion (or AAAAAA) 
    Gustav Goblin
    AVC
    J K
    Scoop (replacing Fisch)
    nin ©
    bigshootergill
    sloB
    K0nG (VC)
    BelgianGuy
    Pacificoaster (replacing Airtime)
    Six Frags
    Terry Inferno
    Saxman (F)

R1: K0NG/Belgian (Son of Frankenstein)
    R2: Nin/Six Frags/Gustav (Zoo Because Of Course)

R3: Pacificoaster/Scoop/sloB (Even Better Realism)
    R4: J K/K0NG/sloB (Throwback Thursday)
    R5: AVC/BSG/Terry (Obligatory Fantasy Park Like How Could I Not)
    SF: Pacificoaster/Nin/Belgian (Disney)
    F: J K/AVC/BSG/Six Frags/Nin (AAAAAA title park with a bunch of elements from different time periods smooshed into one big H2H-winning map)

Saxman builds half the park when neccessary. Excited to see how the new Hurricanes turn out with Airtime and Fisch!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading