Ask the Experts / Could i get some advice on trees?

• Fade2Grey%s's Photo
    Hi,

I'm just wondering what combinations of trees/bushes you guys like to use. Perhaps i'll learn some "trade secrets" ... i can't seem to find any really good combinations =(

Thanks for reading.

-Fade2Grey-
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    It's best to show this with screenshots. When I find some I'll post them for you. It's really just about finding what looks good together. My basic tree combo almost always uses the Cypress trees because they fill up an area nicely. Also important to me is varying dark green and light green trees. If you use only one shade of green the trees will start to blend together. Mixing different shades adds depth and variation. The only rule really is not to mix trees that look bad together and you can see that for yourself through trial and error. One more key to treeing for me is covering up the tree line made where the trees stop. I don't like seeing a bunch of trunks there, so I usually place bushes and small strees around the treeline. It's a good idea to do this around coastlines too or even to make small clearings in your forest with a few scattered bushes and maybe a small pond or something. Maybe even a small cottage just to keep it interesting. Whatever you do, don't simply select trees and then click randomly all over the place. That never looks good.
  • Koaster Kid%s's Photo
    pine + fir + poplar + cypress = nice. Willows along rivers. The purple and orange-berried shrubs go good with bullrushes along the water. I think the key, though, is variation. Try not to have the same type of vegetation all over your park. Confine different types to different areas.

Try it!

You'll like it!

<ummunchgobbleslorpcrunch>

<blech>
  • natelox%s's Photo
    CoasterEd hit some good points. The tree line is a good thing to follow. A good way to get rid of it is to use smaller trees (some have trunks that are hidden by leaves). Rocks do wonders aswell :D
    The tall green 'spooky tree' is used by almost every parkmaker at this site, so you could consider using that.
  • sircursealot%s's Photo
    Also, the fruit tree(s) can work wonders if used sparingly.
  • Stargazer%s's Photo
    Arizona Cypress = The Most Disgusting Tree ever! Why does everyone use it, its just so pale and horrible, yuck...

*Stargazer*
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    Mmkay.

There are no trees that are really ugly in the game it's just a matter of using them the right way.

It's like ED said, trial and error is the only way to really get it right. Just screw around with them.

If you want some good examples I think that PyroPenguin is one of the best "tree-ers" out there, he really gets the right trees with the right theme.

++++++

On another note. I can almost promise you that you'll have problems figuring out what to do with the treeline stuff. When I was making my HighRollers entry I could not figure out if I should make a dense jungle low in the vally, and thin it out at the top of the mountains, or what.

It's just a matter of taste and looks.
  • Fade2Grey%s's Photo
    Thanks for the replies guys =)

Guess trial and error is the way to go. I like the kinda tropical look, so i'm checking out screens with that kind of look and it's helping a lot, the only thing is i don't like to "copy" people's work, but it's hard not to sometimes =/

While i'm here, is there a way to tell which spotlights/runner-ups are RCT2? I'd like to see all the RCT2 stuff i can.

-Fade2Grey-
  • Fade2Grey%s's Photo

is there a way to tell which spotlights/runner-ups are RCT2?  I'd like to see all the RCT2 stuff i can.

Sorry to bump but i'd love to know the answer to the rct2 spotlights/runner ups thing.

-fade2grey-
  • i c ded pplz%s's Photo

pine + fir + poplar + cypress = nice.  Willows along rivers.  The purple and orange-berried shrubs go good with bullrushes along the water.  I think the key, though, is variation.  Try not to have the same type of vegetation all over your park.  Confine different types to different areas.

Try it!

You'll like it!

<ummunchgobbleslorpcrunch>

<blech>

blugh.

subway ads... :huey:
  • Aeroglobe%s's Photo
    Well, about your spotlights situation, then you can kind of tell by looking at the screenshots. The RCT1 screenshots will generally have a lower resolution, so everything will look a little less crisp. Also, the RCT1 screenshots will have a LOT of rides used as scenery (i.e. using the ghost trains to make windows or doors in the side of buildings, rather than using them as actual rides). Also, they'll have a lot more wall textures, and they'll change textures as they go up sometimes. After you play both for a while, you can just kind of tell.

Aérôglòbe Posted Image
  • natelox%s's Photo
    Euroscape and Woodworm are the only RCT2 spotlight parks. You can tell by the ending of the file (if u download them). RCT1 is Sv4 and RCT2 is Sv6
  • Micool%s's Photo
    Yay, a tree topic! I love trees. Even when I build outside all boundries like in Happy Place, I still keep the basic tree combo, with a few variations. It was developed in Legends of the Loch over time, and I am real proud of how it turned out.

Posted Image

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading