Ask the Experts / Is my architecture boring?

• Fade2Grey%s's Photo
    This is supposed to be like a few shops, sort of my own version of main street but i didn't want it to be so "disney" ... only thing is it doesn't look very good :/ (

Any tips on how to improve?

Posted Image

~Fade2Grey
  • Roberto Roboparks%s's Photo
    - Get rid of the pink
    - Get rid of those awful custom awnings
    - Make the paths to the shops double-pathed
  • Fade2Grey%s's Photo
    Thanks, guess the first tool i'll use when i get on tonight is clear scenery =)

While i'm here, has anyone got any rct2 screenshots/saved games with a good main street usa recreation? I saw one ages ago and it would come in real handy right now.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    actually, the only thing wrong with the pic is color choice, the building itself is not boring.
  • posix%s's Photo
    Fade2Grey, don't worry. This is sweet!
    Has an own style and is interesting to look at. I've never seen anyone managing to make those ugly custom awnings look good.
    I wouldn't change a thing. I love how it is not 2x2-style and therefore, keep it. Otherwise you might fall into the mould and loose your own style. If only you'd be an LL player, I'd love you entirely ;)
  • sircursealot%s's Photo
    Fade2Grey should be proud. He got a compliment from Posix, which only happens once every moon cycle. ;)
  • i c ded pplz%s's Photo
    I'm not keen on it.

Its not boring, but i don't like the way it is... somthing about it really just pushes me towards not great.

But good start. I'm sure you'll have your name in rctlights someday... :)
  • posix%s's Photo
    I think it needs a few better fitting colours and some green around it. To sort of "fit it in softly" for the eye. Have a nice tree combo around it and liven the paths up with 1/4 flowers. They always do a great job. Again, try to make the colours fitting and don't overtree or overflower it. If you manage to, you'll end up with a great atmosphere.
    Sorry for sounding like a wiseass.
  • Fade2Grey%s's Photo

Its not boring, but i don't like the way it is... somthing about it really just pushes me towards not great.

Actually, that's exactly how i see it myself, hmmm. Im still a newb so i guess that magical touch with colours/atmosphere comes with experience.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading