Custom Scenery Exchange / Diagonal Paths

• Toon%s's Photo
    Here are two test sets of diagonal paths that are ready for download. Be warned these are tricky to use and take a while to get used to. Before you download, you might want to take note of the following suggestions.

1 - These are best used in conjuction with the matching original footpath set. If you use only the diagonal set, you cannot get square corners on multi wide paths.

2 - Keep in mind these are not 'true' diagonal paths as the game engine does not support them. The peeps will walk slightly off these paths and zig zag along them. Also, the path extras like lights and benches do not appear on a diagonal (though I rather like the effect the benches provide).

3 - The quarter tile left showing by the paths cannot be built upon without a trainer. However if you use a trainer to zero clearances, you can build in the open 1/4 square. I have not tested it yet, but RBarclay's diagonal fences should look good if used this way as well.

4 - If the paths are raised above ground, the support structures will not be on the diagonal. It may be possible to correct this, but I have neither the time nor inclination to tackle it at the moment. If someone else would like to explore this feel free.

I doubt I will make anymore of these as I personally am not sure I would use them, however anyone may feel free to alter these or use the patterns to do other sets if you like.

Now, here's the pic and the download

Posted Image

Download Here

Enjoy!
  • sfgadv02%s's Photo
    Finally! About time someone makes diagonal paths! Great job TT! :D
  • John%s's Photo
    FINALLY, a way to make realistic on and off ramps of freeways and streets, thanks!
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    finally! the long lasting idea has come to fruition!
    ;)
    thanks.
  • Toon%s's Photo
    I can tick that one off your list Blitz!
  • sircursealot%s's Photo

Finally!

FINALLY,

finally!

Can you people start your posts in a more unique way please? Oh, nice paths TT. :D
  • posix%s's Photo
    God no, that's so ugly. Even more RCT2 uglyness. :|''''
    No offense, Toon.
  • Brent%s's Photo
    Uh, fuck no PoisX... I don't know how you think of it that way when I doubt you've even friggin downloaded it and tried it out yourself. If it looks like crap, it's because of the upload quality. Plus nothing else is around it.

Posted Image

Better? :w00t:
  • posix%s's Photo

Better?

Seriously not. Rather worse.
    Live with it, Impuls3, I find them ugly. Stop being offended that easily and hurry growing up.
  • sloB%s's Photo
    i agree with posix on this one. i dont really like them that much either. kinda ugly and the fact that the benches and lamps look weird on the grass doesnt help.
  • sacoasterfreak%s's Photo
    Posix quit crying about RCT 2- Its called 2 for a reason, its the second one, and its improved, and you're the only hard ass Ive noticed that's still bitching about how much it sucks, and I dont want to hear it, its getting old already.

BTW: TT, very very nice paths, any plans to do the crazy stone pathways??

edit: once again I have completely forgot to read the line mentioning that you will not make anymore.
  • Toon%s's Photo

[font="tahoma"]God no, that's so ugly. Even more RCT2 uglyness. :|''''
    No offense, Toon.[/font]

No offense taken! You have every right to be skeptical about these paths. I myself am not sure how nice they can be made to look. However I thought it worth a shot to release them and see what people come up with.
  • i c ded pplz%s's Photo
    I'm with Posix.

Ugly - But i do like the effect of placing path objects on the grass. :)
  • posix%s's Photo
    ToonTowner, I agree with and love you.
    SAC, read his post and grow up already.
  • John%s's Photo
    Although on the abnormal side, I found these paths to be of great use with my project where I am creating a actual city... I brushed it aside after trying to build a realistic freeway with just the RCT2 road paths available, now it looks more realistic. Now all we need is diagonal fences and walls. ;)

Posted Image
  • posix%s's Photo
    What I especially don't like about them is how they leave out a certain bit of space which could probably only be filled by Zeroing All Clearances. And that again would probably make it look very odd. I think the way of doing diagonal paths as it was given with RCT1 is enough. This looks sort of out of place and unfitting to me. Like almost any custom scenery. Surprisingly, this is the first ToonTowner scenery of which I think that.
  • Turtleman%s's Photo
    Posix is an asshole. Live with it everyone.

Toon, I think it looks good though. Good work.

Turtleman 8)
  • i c ded pplz%s's Photo

Posix is an asshole. Live with it everyone.

Toon, I think it looks good though. Good work.

Turtleman 8)

Turtleman, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarlink - I don't think you are really vun to talk...
  • Toon%s's Photo

[font="tahoma"]What I especially don't like about them is how they leave out a certain bit of space which could probably only be filled by Zeroing All Clearances. And that again would probably make it look very odd. I think the way of doing diagonal paths as it was given with RCT1 is enough. This looks sort of out of place and unfitting to me. Like almost any custom scenery. Surprisingly, this is the first ToonTowner scenery of which I think that.[/font]

I'm finding Posix's opinion ironic, because he is stating many of the concerns I have with this pathing. Yes you can get around it by zeroing clearances and using diagonal fences and such, but basically rct is a game built around squares. Due to the isometric view of the game, the diagonals just don't seem to look quite right. Basically these paths were an experiment and I wasn't really happy with the results, but thought that because they were done I would release them. A large number of people seem to be receiving them rather well, but from a traditional viewpoint they don't look right. I'm very curious to see how they are used, but as I stated in my original post I probably won't be using these myself and therefore won't likely make anymore. We will see, things change.....
  • Meretrix%s's Photo
    I say.....well done TT.

Those that cannot appreciate true innovation......welllllllllll!!!!!!

This is an evolution of a game that has sadly been abandonned by its' creator and left to the much more capable hands of its' fans. While the "purists" of RCT1 may not receive this very well, I will tell you this. Having completed Tilted Acres, I was actually VERY TEMPTED to go back into the SE of this game and modify certain sections, just so that I could access your brilliance (these paths). I may do so at some point in the future. Anyway, these will be used by me in my next park, because until the dumbasses at Atari pull their heads from their butts, we'll need all the help we can get from people like yourself. :yup:

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading