RCT Discussion / Recalling Danimation

• Valp%s's Photo
    Hello.

New Element today, as I understand, is a much different scene than the old days at Danimation. That site, from what I hear, began the whole RCT parkmaking craze. I was into RCT at the time of its height, but I rarely visited the site, and I only remember a couple of screens of spotlights (one had some monopoly face I think...)

So, my question is, from someone who wasn't around very much, what was it like? The difference between regular and forum spotlights? What were your most memorable moments, RCT advancements, or spotlights from those days? How active was it, and what are the main differences between it and NE today?

I'm just curious about the whole thing...

Thanks,
    Valp
  • natelox%s's Photo
    I joined in late on the whole Danimation thing, but I did join thanks to Elrocko. It was a huge community and had some great stuff. Where to start?

The difference between a forum spotlight and a regular spotlight was that the regular spotlight came first. The owner of the site gave up on doing "regular" spotlights, so they because forum spotlights, in which everyone voted for the best park.

Favorite spotlight winners: Well, Corkscreweds "Rich Uncle Pennybag Estate" was the first spotlight I ever saw there and it really inspired me. My favorites were "Orange Valley", "Cantabury Falls (sp?)" and "Cydonia City". I honestly can't remember many other Danimation spotlights, so forgive me if I forgot a few. The thing that was best about the spotlights was that the runner ups were hidden throught the site and it was fun (and annoying when other people had found 5 and you'd found one) to find them. This takes a lot of work and I think this is why this feature is no longer here at NE.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    It's strange but I think I remember bumbing into Danimation every once in a while. I never joined.

Nate- I guess that's why runner-ups originally went under the name "Hidden Parks"....

I just remember seeing the Lightning Racer rec. and something about the "Balls to Wall" wooden coaster contest. Strange that I remember anything about it. Hell, I never spent more than 10 minutes there... I just didn't understand the point of message boards back then so I didn't join it. Hell I'd be a parkmaker now if only I'd stated back in '2K when I found it.

ride6
  • Meretrix%s's Photo
    I actually had a "Hidden Park" featured at Danimation. If anyone still has Worlds of Adventure (I think that's what I called it) I would love to see it again. I haven't seen it since my computer crashed right after I finished it (woulda been about Feb. 2000). It had a kickass 10 looper called Anaconda that had a spiralling first drop and a hyper coaster in an Egyptian section. Also in the egyptian section was a Shwarzkopf twisting coaster called Whirling Dervish. If anyone has this park......send me screens..........what I loved most were the repositories where you could upload parks and members would rate them.......Good Times!
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Danimation started in the RCT world as a real coaster recreation site with recreations of Montu, Gwazi and a load of others. (which back then was a big thing lol)
    They opened some forums and there was a slow migration of people from "The First RCT Site" (the first real rct community) to Danimation. (maybe because of the whole jenny situation)

As time went by Danimation grew and grew... and the first rct site kind of died. (pity)
    And then the same thing happened here. NE grew and Danimation has got smaller.

You could write a book. Danimation... the rise and fall of an empire.....

To be honest although a lot of people here slag Danimation of i dont think NE would be here without it. The forums at Danimation kick started the first RCT Boom in the same way NE has the Second.
    lol

And yes the repositories were great. So many parks to download and run (back in the day when people ran their parks)
  • gir%s's Photo
    The first memory I have Danimation is only a short time before 9/11. I remember 9/11 well though, because the forums were closed. Before then I had joined at RCTWorldMan's forums, I forgot the name, but it was really small. (If you don't remember him, he was Zach's er, worker or apprentice or something at Afterlife. (AGD) I met SFFT_Freak (we still talk when we're bored), worked with him a lot, then got interested in graphics and begged my parents for Photoshop. :) I remember the old graphics "companies", oh, the memories. :) Danimation opened up a lot of the world to me.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Danimation? Wasn't that the place some guy used to post "trip reports" of the Spotlights?
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    jenny situation?

All I know is that I got to danimation through cavs depot. I started an rct site around the same time cav did, but i hung out there alot. I remember falling in love with this one park that had a quad dueler: 2 looping and 2 non-looping steel twisters caked together with lively colors. Heh.
  • Micool%s's Photo

Danimation?  Wasn't that the place some guy used to post "trip reports" of the Spotlights?

Haha, lame.
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Heya

The jenny situation was when someone under the name jenny hi jacked the "first rct site" forums. After that alot of people seemed to move across to danimation. ahhh good times lol.
    i think the only person i remember from that far back is LAA.... i think lol
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

Danimation?  Wasn't that the place some guy used to post "trip reports" of the Spotlights?

Sean O is the only dude I've ever seen who knew the Lincoln Park Comet. For that alone he's the best.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Ah, Sean O. That man WAS TRULY a legend.
  • Pym Guy%s's Photo
    I, personally, liked Jontierny more.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Jon was a shadow of Git. He was more of a random version of Git... not bad, but a bit overrated.
  • Nic%s's Photo
    FOO!!!!

Great prank by Dan to show he does has a sense of humour. Sort of.

I liked Danimation because the parks were just simply breathtaking. Mountain Beach, RUPE (probably one of the most controversial spotlights) and others. It kind of opened up my eyes to the world of making a park look beautiful and well designed, rather than just beating the scenerios. I think everyone probably sent in a shiity park to the spotlight and waited and waited for it to win only to find out it had got completed owned by some other park, like Sunshine Gardens. (I'll never forgive you x ;)) Downside was most people on there were Amerikan and really didn't like me and my opinions.

Also, most people on there couldn't spell my name, it was either "Wierdbore" or some other bastardization. Gits.

It was a place of fond memories especially the conspiracy about the guy with cancer (or some other terminal disease) who died just after he made his last RCT park. Unfortunatly, I can't remember his name. Other memories include the person who got banned for starting an Aprils fools joke about his mum dying. That was funny.

Danimation created competitive RCT making and its my high opinion that RCT1 wouldn't have lasted as long without Danimation and then RCT Station with New Element keeping up the rear. *cough*

*takes off the rose-coloured glasses*
  • RedWing19%s's Photo
    ahhhh yes... Danimation. I first went there around June of 2000 and registered Oct of 2000. Something happened and everyone that registered in Oct got erased so I re-registerd in Nov of 2000 as RCTBlaze. Nobody probably knows that name because I was a forum "lurker". The spotlights were one of a kind back in the day. I remeber people always talking about how they would hit refresh every 5 sec when a spotlight was due so they could get it right away. Oh and "hidden parks" was also a big hit. Also FF's.... wow they were good. I think it was Dash and Buster who were the best FF makers... good times. Quoting some people here but NE would not be here with danimation so I don't know why everyone bashes it just because it had swear filter and it wasn't "cool" enough... or something.... but anyways, Damination was a great place with classic RCT parks, great community, and overall fun.

Edit: I also remeber Iris going crazy cause he didn't get a mod job there ;) .... his posts where good for some laughs :D
  • Panic%s's Photo

I remeber people always talking about how they would hit refresh every 5 sec when a spotlight was due so they could get it right away.

Sadly they all had to retire from carpal tunnel syndrome.
    8@
  • Son Tested Shelter%s's Photo

jenny situation?

All I know is that I got to danimation through cavs depot.  I started an rct site around the same time cav did, but i hung out there alot.  I remember falling in love with this one park that had a quad dueler: 2 looping and 2 non-looping steel twisters caked together with lively colors.  Heh.

Dude I remember that park! That was Jarod Misner's Riverfront Amusement Park. He did an awesome quad dueler themed I think Egyptian. One of the coasters was like 10.00+++ excitement. That was the first great park I had ever seen. Yea I actually came to Danimation through RCT Station, which I had come to through Cav's Depot R.I.P. I was active at the RCT Station forums alot more than at Danimation, but I went there and d/l the spotlights, like that Monopoly one, and one called Orange Valley something? I don't remember...That was so long ago. Peace-STS
  • Alec%s's Photo
    Yes, Danimation was great, before the ban-fest.

Jontierney, he was funny, yet I don't think he compares to Git, because Git never revealed his name, age, and shit.

I liked RCT back before a lot of hacking, it was nice.

I think I am going to go old school on my next park.
  • Scorchio%s's Photo
    I visited Danimation for the Spotlights, and that's it, the forums bored me...

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading