Park Wars / PARK WARS 2 RULES

• Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    ----------PARK WARS 2 RULES--------------

Welcome to Park Wars! These are the rules you need to know to play the game. It probably looks complicated, but most of the organization work will be done by the Park Wars referees. As a park chain, you are responsible for building your park updates each month and releasing them during the week you are assigned to. In addition, there will be a few rules to follow throughout the course of the game and also optional quests which may earn you bonus points. To start out with, every team is given 50 credits and one month to build a small themepark on the map provided. This park can be as small or large as you want it to be. An entrance area and at least one other area is expected, but there's no size requirment. You will then expand upon this park every month and earn points based on the quality of your park. After the fifth park update, the season will be over, final points awarded, and winners announced.

The game will play out a lot differently than the first Park Wars. New rules have been added to keep the smaller park chains in the game and improve the strategy. It should be noted that you can still win the game by constructing the best park but now you can also win the game by earning the most status points. In Park Wars 2 there will be two winners, a winning park and a winning team. You can choose to play the game strategically or just build the best park you can, either option may result in a win.

-----------DIVISION ORGANIZATION / RELEASE SCHEDULE-----------

For the first month, each team will release their parks at once. After the first month's polls, the teams will be sorted into four divisions based on how many status points they have acquired. The top 5 teams move into Division I, the next 4 into Divison II, the next 4 into Division III and so on. The teams will release their updates in staggered groups in the order listed below. This means that every park chain will release an updated park once a month, but there will be new park updates released every week. After each park has released their monthly update, points will be awarded in polls and the teams will be reorganized.

Division I will release updates in the first week of the month, then Division II in the next week, then Division III and lastly Division IV in that order. At the end of month 2, each team will have released their first update. At this stage points will be awarded and the divisions will be reordered again based on who has the most points. This process will continue for each month of competition. At the end of month 6, the season is over.

MONTHLY UPDATE SCHEDULE
    1] First Week - Division I
    2] Second Week - Division II
    3] Third Week - Division III
    4] Fourth Week - Division IV
    5] One Week Off For Voting
    ----Back to 1----

----------STATUS POINTS and CREDITS------------

There are two types of points to keep track of in Park Wars: Status Points and Credits.

STATUS POINTS are won through monthly and weekly polls, advertising, setting world records, and completing quests. The only way to lose status points is by not meeting the regulations imposed throughout the game. Status points cannot be spent, they are simply accumulated. The teams will be ranked and assigned into divisions each month on the basis of how many status points they have acquired. At the end of the game, the team with the most status points is the winner.

CREDITS are the currency teams will use to purchase coasters and rides. Some rides are free, but larger rides and coasters cost a certain amount in credits (see coaster list). This means teams will not be able to build as many coasters as they want, but only what they can afford. Credits are earned in two ways. Each park update which includes at least 1 new coaster will earn the team 5 credits (regardless of how many coasters it includes). In addition, at the end of the month credits will be awarded to teams based on which division they are sorted into. In this way, earning more status points will place teams into a higher division and thus earn them more credits for building new coasters.

EARNING CREDITS
    Division I (20C)
    Division II (15C)
    Division III (10C)
    Division IV (5C)
    Coaster Update (5C)

Each team starts the game with no status points and 50 credits.

----------POINTS FOR MONTHLY UPDATES-----------------

After each month, three polls will be posted and all NE users will have a week to vote on them. Status points will be awarded to the top finishers in each category in the quantity listed below:

NE PARKMAKER’S POLL - (132 Points Available)
    1] Best Architecture (1)15 (2)10 (3)5
    2] Best Theming (1)15 (2)10 (3)5
    3] Most Creative Park (1)10 (2)5 (3)3
    4] Best Themed Area (1)10 (2)5 (3)3
    5] Most Creative Ride (1)5 (2)3
    6] Best Trees and Landscaping (1)5 (2)3
    7] Best Single Building (1)5 (2)3
    8] Best Custom Flat Ride (1)5
    9] Best Hacking (1)5

IAAPA THEMEPARK POLL - (149 Points Available)
    1] Best Overall Park (1)20 (2)15 (3)10
    2] Most Beautiful Park (1)10 (2)5 (3)3
    3] Most Improved Park (1)10 (2)5 (3)3
    4] Best Waterpark (1)10 (2)5 (3)3
    5] Best Park Value (1)10 (2)5 (3)3
    6] Most Realistic Park (1)5 (2)3
    7] Most Outrageous Park (1)5 (2)3
    8] Best Food and Shopping Variety (1)5 (2)3
    9] Best Family Rides (1)5 (2)3

ACE COASTER RIDER’S POLL - (176 Points Available)
    1] Best Wooden Coaster (1)15 (2)10 (3)5
    2] Best Steel Coaster (1)15 (2)10 (3)5
    3] Best New Wooden Coaster (1)10 (2)5 (3)3
    4] Best Waterride (1)10 (2)5 (3)3
    5] Best New Steel Coaster (1)10 (2)5 (3)3
    6] Best Themed Coaster/Waterride (1)10 (2)5 (3)3
    7] Best New Waterride (1)10 (2)5 (3)3
    8] Best Dark Ride or Show (1)10 (2)5 (3)3
    9] Total Insanity Award (1)5 (2)3

---------------ADVERTISING----------------

After each month, every team is required to release a press release describing what will be added in their next update. The press releases will be posted during the voting week at the end of the month. After all of the press releases are posted, another poll will be conducted and status points awarded to the top 6 finishers in the following manner:

MOST ANTICIPATED PARK UPDATE
    First Place (10)
    Second Place/Third Place (5)
    Fourth/Fifth/Sixth Place (3)

--------------POINTS FOR DIVISION UPDATES----------------

After each week’s divisional update, a small poll will be held for the parks posted that week. Only the parks in the division will be included in the division poll, so parks with less status points in the lower divisions can make up some points by competing against other low ranked teams. Points are only awarded for placing first in each category. In addition to the division poll, each park will receive 5 status points for any new records held after that week. (As described in the World Records section).

DIVISION POLL
    Best Park Update (10)
    Best New Wooden Coaster (5)
    Best New Steel Coaster (5)
    Best New Waterride (5)
    Most Creative Addition (5)

-----------COASTERS----------------

(The list of available ride types and their costs will be posted at a later time. I'm including every ride type I can think of and scalable costs based on height, length, and inversions. There will also be pre-built clone rides available at a lower coast for teams that want to follow the Six Flags strategy and the option of designing your own prototype coaster for maximum flexibility.)

--------------WORLD RECORDS-------------------

At the end of the month, any rides or parks holding a record will receive 10 status points per record held regardless of which record it is. If two or more parks hold a record simultaneously, each will recieve 10 status points.

NEW RECORDS held after the weekly division updates are worth 5 status points. This is so parks that update first with a new record will still get some points for it even if another park tops their record later in the month. These are awarded with the division polls. (NOTE: If you held the record the previous month and still hold it after the division update you DO NOT get 5 points. If you still hold it after all parks have updated that month, then you get the usual 10 points). Teams updating later in the month have an advantage in this way, but they also receive less credits for being in a lower division so it evens out.

GUINESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS (+10 Each Month)
    Tallest Wood Coaster
    Tallest Steel Coaster
    Tallest Waterride
    Fastest Wood Coaster
    Fastest Steel Coaster
    Longest Wood Coaster
    Longest Steel Coaster
    Best Wood Coaster Excitement Rating
    Best Steel Coaster Excitement Rating
    Most Coasters in a Park
    Most Inversions on a Coaster

-------------QUESTS----------------

Each month, one or more quests will be issued to all of the teams. Quests are optional tasks which a park chain may complete for a chance to win bonus points. The amount of points awarded and the particular task required will be different for each quest. Points will be awarded to first and second place finishers in each division. This means that up to 4 first place awards will be given and up to 4 second places. The team in each division that places third, fourth, or fifth in that quest will receive no points. Teams which choose not to complete the quest will also receive no points.

SAMPLE QUESTS:

*START YOUR ENGINES: NASCAR is looking for an amusement park sponsorship. The amusement park which constructs the longest Go-Kart track will receive replica NASCAR vehicles to run on the track, NASCAR apparel to sell in the park, and may rename the ride to ‘NASCAR Pro Circuit.’
    Reward: (1) 10 Credits and 5 Status Points (2) 5 Credits

*THE IMAX EXPERIENCE: The IMAX theater company wants to make a deal with your park. The park chain which constructs the largest IMAX theater will receive the critically acclaimed film ‘IMAX: Hang Gliding the World’ to show for the next season. Second place finishers will instead receive the subpar film ‘IMAX: Cosmos’.
    Reward: (1) 10 Status Points (2) 5 Status Points

-------------PARK REGULATIONS-----------

For the first month, parks have no regulations. They may construct whatever they want. Each month resolutions are passed by the World Amusement Park Bureau which require something of all park chains. These rules apply equally to all teams and must be followed by all teams. Teams found not to be in compliance with the rule at the end of the month will be penalized 5 status points. After the next month, teams will be penalized 5 status points for each rule they are in violation of. Rules will never be anything that will significantly change your park. In fact, you should be able to retrofit your park to meet the rule requirements quickly and easily once you know what they are. These only exist to make the game a little more interactive and the parks a little more authentic and detailed.

SAMPLE RULES:

*EQUAL RIGHTS FOOD ACT: The WAPB requires that all parks include at least 1 vegetarian dining option for every 6 non-vegetarian dining options. If the park has less than 6 dining options, they still must include at least 1 vegetarian dining option.

*CULTURAL AWARENESS ACT: The WAPB has noted that large corporations are now building amusement park chains all over the world. As popular tourist destinations, parks should contribute to the sharing of culture. All parks are required to include at least 2 shops selling goods made in the region that the park is located.

*BENCH ACT: The WAPB requires all parks to provide sufficient quantity of benches and trash cans to meet their guests needs. All parks are required to include at least 25 benches and at least 10 trash cans.

--------LATE OR MISSING UPDATES---------

Teams which fail to release their update in week 1 but release it before the month is up will still be eligible for the polls and receive credits at the end of the month like normal, but they'll skip their chance to earn points from the division poll, or to earn points from new records held after a division update, or to win points from quests. Those points will have already been distributed. In addition, there will be a 5 status point penalty (the same for breaking one of the regulations).

If a team does not send in an update for the month, they will not be eligible for any of the polls so they won't win any new status points and they won't receive any credits either. No points will be earned that month from records held from pevious months either. When the divisions are reorganized, they'll be sorted into a division again and everything will be back to normal. Since the competition only lasts for 5 updates, any team which does not update their park two months in a row will be disqualified from Park Wars.

--------WINNING THE GAME------------

The goal of Park Wars is to build the park chain which attracts the most status. The team with the most status points at the end of the competition will be declared the Winning Team of Park Wars. Accumulated credits will not be worth anything after the last month of competition. After the final polls are conducted and status points given out, additional status points will be awarded based on how many coasters are in the park at the end of the game. Teams will earn status points for each of their coasters equal to their cost. This is a one time bonus only. (NOTE: credits are worth nothing in park status if they are not spent.)

While the team with the most status points after Month 6 will be the official winner, they may not have constructed the best park. The park winning the ‘Best Overall Park’ poll after the final month will also be recognized and honored as the Winning Park of Park Wars. Thus there will be a winning team determined by status points alone, and a winning park determined by the last "Best Overall Park" poll.
  • sircursealot%s's Photo
    Sounds good ED. :D
  • gir%s's Photo
    This is great. :) I love the quests option, it sounds like a lot of fun. I can't wait.. :p
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    That's really complicated man. I look forward to it anyway. Man I am going to waste so much time in school trying to figure out how to make Corkscrew's and my park balance out. lol.

ride6
  • mantis%s's Photo
    This will be a wonderful, interactive exercise. It'll still be competitive, but above all these rules will make it fun to participate - especially things like the Quests and Regulations.

Great stuff - looking forward to it!
  • Twisted%s's Photo
    I really like all these new rules, they should make the game a lot more fun and challenging.

Good work Ed!
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    Well I'm glad you guys like them. I'm posting these for two reasons:

1] So I can clarify or change what I need to before the competition starts. If there's anything that confuses you or anything that you really don't like, now is the time to let me know.

2] So I can gauge how much interest there is in this. I'm nervous that a lot of people will have moved on by now. I'd really appreciate it if all of the participants would at least reply here and tell me they're still in. I'd like to start this pretty soon.

And the ride list will be posted soon. I'm sure there'll be some confusion about it so I wanted to seperate it from the rest of the rules for now.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    What rules, if any, are in place in the unfortunate case of the lack of an update?
  • Drew%s's Photo
    This sounds like more fun than the first. Any idea on when it will start?
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    Well, I'm prepared to excuse parks which don't update for a month without any point penalties. However, for that month the park will not be eligible for any of the polls so they won't win any new status points and they won't receive any credits either. When the divisions are reorganized, they'll be sorted into a division again and everything will be back to normal. Not earning any status points or credits for a month would be their penalty because all of the other teams will earn something, at the very least 5 credits. Since the competition only lasts for 5 updates anyway, it may make sense to kick out teams which don't update two months in a row.

Even more pressing though is the issue of late updates. Because we have a staggered release schedule, it's possible that a team in Division I could fail to release their update in week 1 but finish it before the month is up. These teams will still be eligible for the polls and receive credits at the end of the month, but they'll skip their chance to earn points from the division poll, or to earn points from new records held after a division update, or to win points from quests. Those points will have already been distributed. In addition, there will be a 5 status point penalty (the same for breaking one of the regulations).

You may think it unfair to penalize late updates 5 status points and not have the same penalty when teams don't update at all. Well I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible and I'm convinced that every team should be able to earn at least 5 status points a month from division polls, quests, records, and end of the month polls. So not being eligible for any of these should add up to at least a 5 status point penalty and those teams won't receive any credits at the end of the month either while every other team is guaranteed to earn at least 5 credits.

I'm glad you asked this mantis. If this sounds fair to everyone, I'll add it to the rules.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    When it starts is up to you guys. I could start it April 1 if that's okay with everyone. Or May 2 when Pro Tour entries are due. Or something else. I want everyone to be ready to build when it starts because the updates will be continuous from then on.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    Well, the rules this time around are much more involved, much more intrestesting and should make for a much more intresting game. I just pity the person who has to count all 25 benches or calculate the vegitarian to carnivore ratio ;)

And for the record, please start when the Pro Tour ends.
  • sircursealot%s's Photo
    Starting in April would be great. There's not much going on at NE right now, so it would be quite popular. I know I'm ready. :scarface:
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    I would like to start soon before even more people lose interest, but I respect that people are working hard on their PT entries for the possibility of winning money. All I'm offering is a good time and I can't even guarantee that. :lol: So I think May 2 sounds pretty good for a start date.

And as of right now, the person who will be counting all of those benches and vegetarian restaurants is me. If anyone else would be willing to help out, I would greatly appreciate it. I'll need at least one person to fairly judge quests since I'm also participating in the game.
  • Janus%s's Photo
    The rules sounds great. I like the equal foods thing :yup:
  • shameless%s's Photo
    maybe its been posted somewhere else already, and i missed it, but is this rct2 or LL or both?
  • shameless%s's Photo
    anybody?
  • gir%s's Photo
    LL
  • Silenced%s's Photo
    Seriously, Let's start when PT ends.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading