General Chat / The AIM Conversation to End ALL AIM Conversations.

• bokti%s's Photo
    constimulated: 37111: Conservatism is all about morality and moral superiority is the root of all smugnessness.
    37111: There's the connection.
    boktideIllomatic: True.
    boktideIllomatic: However.
    boktideIllomatic: Breaking it down into very binary thought, the moral superiority wouldn't be the root of all smugnessness, I don't think.
    boktideIllomatic: Perhaps the awareness of superiority cames after the morals have been instilled.
    boktideIllomatic: I'm thoroughly glad that we're having this conversation, might I add.
    boktideIllomatic: It is one for the forii.
    37111: Actually, I happen to think that it is actually the buildings of the morals, the rejection of other things as immoral.
    37111: That the minute you begin to cast things out as immoral, you develop smugosity.
    boktideIllomatic: Right.
    boktideIllomatic: So one might say, just maybe, that smugness is a trait only found in those with a hard-headed, straight philosophy and opinion about every aspect of anything they are exposed to.
    boktideIllomatic: But that's fallible-- for plenty of people that wouldn't be considered Conservative are equally snug.
    boktideIllomatic: Smug, Pardon me.
    37111: But conservatism is all about moral righteousness and - importantly - belief. Unwavering belief in the virtues of right and wrong, and unwavering belief in one's own ability to judge one from the other. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that a disproportionate number of conservatives are smug when compared to the general populus who often express apathy when questioned about such things as morality and politics.
    37111: What this also means is that liberals are also smuggerer than average people, simply because they have belief and cause. Anyone with opinions who is willing to argue and fight to defend them is probably smug.
    37111: But the liberal agenda has always been defined by the phrase, "Let it slide". It's about letting things go, easening up, loosening up... Not being so stringent or anal.
    37111: Or to put it in more easily definable terms: Conservatism is about control and liberalism is about asking why that control is neccessary.
    boktideIllomatic: Ridiculous. If we are going by what you're saying just above, then the primary difference between liberals and conservatives is simply amount of opinion.
    37111: Not quite.
    37111: My main point is how strong those opinions are.
    37111: And if you're willing to impose them upon other people.
    boktideIllomatic: Liberals argue and impose just as much as Conservatives.
    37111: Because once one develops one's own sense of morality, those who do not live up to it are seen as beneath oneself. The question then is in the judgement - do accept them regardless, or demand that they meet your own personal standards.
    37111: Okay, then, how would you explain smugness in conservatism.
    boktideIllomatic: I'm not saying that it's only in Conservatism. I'm simply stating that smugness is found in quite possibly every human being. Not only that, but every one of us has beliefs. So the smugness couldn't just be rooted fundamentally in idealism. Perhaps it isn't even smugness at all, but fear to accept. After all, cuntservatives are a lot less tolerant of what they deem offensive than liberals.
    37111: That's a fair point, and I agree, but might I remind you that I never claimed there was smugness was something to be found only in conservative circles, but rather, it's found to a higher degree within conservative circles. Although I still maintain that idealism and idealogy playes an important part.
    boktideIllomatic: Well certainly. So it is safe to say that liberals are substantially less fearful of changes, among other things, than cuntservatives. Goddamn Jennifer Ellison has huge tits.
    37111: This I agree with to a certain extent. Many liberals, however, foolishly clutch onto a set illogical ideals and find themselves unable to let go. An example would be the political-correctness movement. Liberals can be just as intolerant of certain personality traits as conservatives, even though they describe it AS tolerance. As for why these people aren't as smug as their conservative peers... Maybe it's because they don't have an imaginary friend called God telling them that they are right all the time.
    boktideIllomatic: Applying God to every conservative is nonsense. Plenty have testified to being spiritual, rather than religious.
    37111: I was of course making a deliberately flippant remart in attempt to use humour to diffuse this tense conversation.
    boktideIllomatic: Ahh. It worked indubitably.
    37111: ... Yes, I think that joke's run it's course.
    boktideIllomatic: But back to the subject at hand. I'm sure that plenty of liberals are religious.
    boktideIllomatic: So your logic is erroneous there.
    37111: What I was implying is uncertainty. I think many liberals are more uncertain of their beliefs and idealogies than their conservative equals who know where they stand on every issue and refuse to budge. Of course, with that stubborness, you lose any sort of dynamic or fluid opinion and find yourself endless defending your fixed viewpoint.
    boktideIllomatic: You forgot "attacking every other ideology."
    37111: Because you percieve it as a threat to your own.
    boktideIllomatic: Not really.
    boktideIllomatic: But let's move on.
    boktideIllomatic: The liberal media bias.
    37111: Yes. Well, I think it's important to note that the media climate has been shaken these past few years with the introduction of Fox News, an unabashed right-wing alternative to the left-slanting media. The liberal media, up to that point, of course, had disguised editorial rants as "news" and had been ashamed to admit to any sort of bias. Evidently, the public found this to be "beating dead horse".
    37111: The same of which could be said of this once-hilarious conversation.
    boktideIllomatic: Right.
    boktideIllomatic: But the liberal media bias could be explained by their mentality being very one-dimensional. The second and third dimensions of thought are what is left, and there are many other ways of thinking as opposed to the conservative agenda, thus there should be a bias by all rights.
    boktideIllomatic: Compared to geology-- conservative thought being the core, the mantle and magma, crust, and so on, being the liberal thought.
    37111: I agree. I don't understand, but I agree. I was about to say that Fox News was seen as breath of fresh air; an unapologetic, shoot-from-the-hip news network that wore its heart on its sleeve and said exactly what it meant. It was an obvious attempt by Rupert Murdoch to counterbalance the liberal slant. It paid off, with a number of conservative radio stations taking off with much success. As it stands, there is no bias. As with so much of society these days, people are free to pick and choose. Everything in life is a trip to the supermarket, even politics and news.
    37111: So we have people with a very different mindset now, who listen to a select sources and tune out everything else (which they might well refer to as "white noise"). Anyone talking about any sort of bias one way or the other is misinformed.
    boktideIllomatic: or overly-dramatic.
    37111: Yes. We must never be so self-indulgant than to create issues out of thin air, then debate them pompously with others over the internet.
    37111: Melodrama, sadly, though, is one of the many causes of cultural malaise which has descended upon society.
    boktideIllomatic: I couldn't agree more. But alas, I must be going. Jennifer Ellison's tits are simply too large not to jack off to.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    I like it!
  • Tyler%s's Photo
    bokti.

how many times must i tell you.
    stop referring to me as, 37111.

it's pretty annoying. lol
    :0
  • Super_Shadow%s's Photo
    wow that is amazing that can be good enough to go on one of thoes debating shows on sunday
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    core?
    I like to think of conservatives as people who don't think of the future unless dealing with their own stock, and liberals as people who don't understand that money exists at all.

Exaggerations, but still a grain of truth ;)

In all seriousness, the state of conservatism in today's society is going through a pinch effect, where certain qualities and morals are now under question by the bulk of a more informed society, and caustic liberals are crashing back to reality and shedding the meaning of liberalism that the media had indoctrined on its own before fox came in. I like to think of it as liberal=land, and conservative=boat, and all the rats are scurrying back ONTO it as it is sinking.
  • Panic%s's Photo

I like to think of conservatives as people who don't think of the future unless dealing with their own stock, and liberals as people who don't understand that money exists at all.

That's brilliant.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    Talk about sound and fury. I hope you two find your cynicism comforting, cause the rest of us can see how pathetic it really is.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    it's ok ed, they had subway.
  • bokti%s's Photo
    :( no Blitz. i'm against fast-food franchises.
  • Nu11%s's Photo
    Interesting...

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading