General Chat / Subtle Cultural Variety

• Louis!%s's Photo

It's ok, I do it all the time. Perks of the job.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Chorkiel, can we use that system for CEO's and politicians as well then?! Put them on minimum wage and let's see how hard they will work... Why is it always the low class that should "work hard", "work for their money", etc?

That already happens for a lot of people. There's a lot of high class people who get paid a symbolic dollar for their work and all their other income is just a dividend of the profit. Meaning that if the company doesn't make a lot of money, they'll also make less. Technically, I'd say there's little wrong with people having to work harder for jobs that most other people could do in their place.

And Chorkiel, believe me, I work retail and started to hate people. Of course, you have to be friendly. But I'm only human too. If I have problems or what so ever in my life, don't expect me to put on a smile like a masker. Doesn't mean I can't be friendly for customers, but I'm not actor. Also, you only need 2 or 3 rude people to fuck up your day.
    If you're friendly to customers and do your job, I don't see the problem. But when I have horrible service, I don't see someone having a bad day as a good excuse. They are the face of a restaurant so if they're doing a shit job, I'll look at the restaurant as 'that place with shit waiters'. Your employer is either supportive of that and only let's you work when you're capable of doing what is in your contract or he's not.
  • FredD%s's Photo

The bonuses CEO's get are not a good comparison. They do get more paid than a symbolic dollar, their monthly basic wage is more than average Joe makes on a year. For most of them. I don't know your situation but it feels like you have no touch with average Joe. 

People can have bad days, humans are not robots. Just wanting to say that 50% of clients act like douche bags but demand great service. And you can debate about service. Some people want to tell their life story to me at the register but are kinda pissed when I hint I'm not interested. Working with people makes you hate people.

That's another topic, could write you a book about stupid clients. And for me personal, I have 'the problem' I have a bitch face. Meaning that my resting face looks like a mad face. While I'm not mad. People think I'm angry while I'm not at all. Is that bad service?! I think people who demand smiling faces are out of this world.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

The bonuses CEO's get are not a good comparison. They do get more paid than a symbolic dollar, their monthly basic wage is more than average Joe makes on a year. For most of them. I don't know your situation but it feels like you have no touch with average Joe.

That's a whole different discussion than the one about a tipping system. This point is purely about how much they make instead of the way they make it. The symbolic dollar was stated to examplify their - technically - low salaries. Of course they get paid much more than one dollar, but American waiters also get paid more than minimum wage. Their system works because their culture is based on tipping, which is something that should (have) evolve(d) naturally.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading