General Chat / White smoke today!

• Aeroglobe%s's Photo

I don't see how a Black pope would have been better... he would have further advocated abstinence in response to the AIDS epidemic instead of educating people on safe sex and contraceptives, etc...

I dunno anything about each cardinal's beliefs... I just wanted a black Pope because this is the first time one has been considered (or something like that).

There should be a Pope Shorty.

Aérôglòbe Posted Image
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    [font="Georgia"]just stop the nazi shit. i really can't hear it any more.
    the german now generations stands in no releation to hitler & co. so don't compare anybody in germany to hitler.

as to benedictus XVI. nice to see a german pope, but i don't like him. he is too conservative in my opinion. anyways i do not really care as i'm not really religious at all. [/font]
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    i can see where you are coming from, magnus, and i'd probably get sick and tired of it as well if i were german.

The thing is, you have to realize just how much impact the second world war had on some countries, and even though its been 2 generations most people alive nowadays are still in direct contact with the consequences. I'm one of the lucky ones having all four of my grandparents, but the stories are still told...

And on top of that, there have been some really fucked up soccer matches between us ;).

But really, the pope is still from that generation, magnus.. haha. Honestly though, i've just zapped away from it on the news and haven't even bothered to find out what he looks like yet. Whatever.
  • Janus%s's Photo
    Is it just me or does he look a lot like the previous pope?
  • Magnus%s's Photo

i can see where you are coming from, magnus, and i'd probably get sick and tired of it as well if i were german.

The thing is, you have to realize just how much impact the second world war had on some countries, and even though its been 2 generations most people alive nowadays are still in direct contact with the consequences. I'm one of the lucky ones having all four of my grandparents, but the stories are still told...

And on top of that, there have been some really fucked up soccer matches between us ;).

But really, the pope is still from that generation, magnus.. haha. Honestly though, i've just zapped away from it on the news and haven't even bothered to find out what he looks like yet. Whatever.

ok ratzinger was 18 at the end of WW2

but i'm more or less talking about the now generation. people living in germany are no nazis at all. (talking about me. my family was living in the US those days :D )

about football.
    ohne holland fahr'n wir zur EM ...

ok there were some really nice games between germany and holland, but i like the oranjes more ;)
  • Micool%s's Photo

[font="Georgia"]as to benedictus XVI. nice to see a german pope, but i don't like him. he is too conservative in my opinion. anyways i do not really care as i'm not really religious at all. [/font]

I was trying to explain this to my friend last night. One billion people do what the pope says. e.g. If the pope says gays should or shouldn't be married, that's quite a swing of world opinion.

But he is going through a phase where he doesn't care about anything, so whatever.
  • Nic%s's Photo

I dunno anything about each cardinal's beliefs... I just wanted a black Pope because this is the first time one has been considered (or something like that).

There should be a Pope Shorty.

Aérôglòbe Posted Image

I'm certain there has been a black pope way back in something like 480a.d

They mentioned something about it in one of the newspapers.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    ^I don't know abtou that I will say that I'm disapointed that such a conservitive (and old) man was put into the position as head of the church. Basically this guy is an intern pope to last for the next 5-6 years until he dies.

With all their views the church still seems to wonder why they are loosing all support in the western world. People aren't in poverty anymore, science isn't standing still and our thought process is hugely different. We need something bigger to grab a hold of, I must admit, but a religion that violates all my personally beliefs isn't it. I hate going to church or sunday school because without fail I pick up at least two or three brainwashed polically minded comments.

*sigh*

If the Catholic Church would liberalize a bit more I'd be much happier with it.

ride6
  • Jo24%s's Photo
    I heard that Benidict XVI was to rash to judge others. He thought that since they were different, that they were wrong. I just heard this. I dn't have any real basis on this. ???
  • Marshy%s's Photo
    God Dammit. Why is it that the elect a new pope who is 78 years old? He's gonna die soon, why not elect someone younger?

Sorry about this, I just think electing another old man as the new pope is a stupid idea.
  • cg?%s's Photo

God Dammit. Why is it that the elect a new pope who is 78 years old? He's gonna die soon, why not elect someone younger?

You answered your own question. They elected an old pope because he would die soon!
  • Scorchio%s's Photo
    Benidict XVI somewhat reminds me of Uncle Fester - aka, creep/odd looking.
  • Nic%s's Photo
    Uncle Fester:

Posted Image

Pope Benedict XVI:

Posted Image

=|
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    you just mixed them up, didn't you? :rolleyes:
  • Richie%s's Photo
    The pope does weed, look at his eyes!!

Posted Image
  • Aeroglobe%s's Photo

you just mixed them up, didn't you? :rolleyes:

On purpose, I'm assuming.

Aérôglòbe Posted Image
  • Nic%s's Photo
    did i

soz

:'(
  • RCTyrant%s's Photo
    Posted Image

Posted Image
  • AustinPowers%s's Photo

I'm certain there has been a black pope way back in something like 480a.d

They mentioned something about it in one of the newspapers.

Actually there have been three African popes. Starting with Pope Saint Victor I in 183 AD.....all three came from Northern Africa. So, Arinze wouldnt have been the first black pope....and wanting a black pope just for the fact that he is black is not a very good reason. He would have been my second choice I think....with Cardinal Ratzinger being my first choice. Sure he is conservative...but look at the choices and find one that isn't. He was the theological adviser to Pope John Paul II so he knows his stuff. He is old...but that was wanted by the Cardinals because they realize that the world is changing at a very fast pace...and the best way to keep up is to have more frequent changes in leadership. Also, it is hard to judge his past convictions because when he previously made statements, they were only his personal thoughts....but now, he has to take everyone into consideration when making doctrines and speeches....its the same with a lot of leadership positions, people understand that they have to be much more aware of others and lead in the best way for everyone...so give him some time to address issues before you disagree with him. Also, for those making fun of his name choice....I just thought I'd mention that Pope Benedict I is the patron saint of Europe....so perhaps he made the choice by actually thinking about what the other Pope Benedicts had done :0 shocking that he might not have just randomly chosen a name isnt it.
  • REspawn%s's Photo
    And so, another swift German occupation of a former Polish territory.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading