Music Forum / some songs

• Atlus%s's Photo
    I'm afraid that Octane isn't to my liking.
    First of all, I don't like distortion when it's in a minor key...Some will say I'm an idiot, but I don't like music where everything is distorted. Simply because for me, music is more than something to listen to because it sounds cool and to sing along to...I like music to give me an atmosphere, and it very much determins my mood. Thus, when I listen to thoughtful music I am thoughtful. When I listen to sad music I am sad. And when I listen to agressive music - which is what distortion is to me, I am agressive, which is not something I want to be. Distortion is ok when it's not accompanying something, so it's fine when it's a riff surrounding acoustics - for me anyway, I'm sure a lot of people will think differently.
    I must say that I'm also getting really bored of music that just centers around power chords. I look for something more complex, that's why I like alot of Acoustic work, like Dave Matthews Band, simply because there's some complexity in there, and it's not just bashing out power chords that pretty much anybody can do.
    But as for the song, it's nothing different for me, and I'm afraid I don't really like it...it's just the fact that it sounds like every other heavy metal/grunge/hardcore (or whatever you call it) song out there...I'm sure people who like those genres can appreciate it though.
  • iGNiTED%s's Photo
    yeah...i get what u mean about the distortion...it sounded pretty bad. but it sounded really good when i was playing it, but once it gets recorded, it sounds TERRIBLE...i really need a new microphone and software system...but i guarentee ill change ur mind about distortion once i get my new setup...
    well, on a lighter note, heres another song, but its not as good as the first two...

i think it fits the name pretty well
  • Blitz%s's Photo

I'm afraid that Octane isn't to my liking.
    First of all, I don't like distortion when it's in a minor key...Some will say I'm an idiot, but I don't like music where everything is distorted. Simply because for me, music is more than something to listen to because it sounds cool and to sing along to...I like music to give me an atmosphere, and it very much determins my mood. Thus, when I listen to thoughtful music I am thoughtful. When I listen to sad music I am sad. And when I listen to agressive music - which is what distortion is to me, I am agressive, which is not something I want to be. Distortion is ok when it's not accompanying something, so it's fine when it's a riff surrounding acoustics - for me anyway, I'm sure a lot of people will think differently.
    I must say that I'm also getting really bored of music that just centers around power chords. I look for something more complex, that's why I like alot of Acoustic work, like Dave Matthews Band, simply because there's some complexity in there, and it's not just bashing out power chords that pretty much anybody can do.
    But as for the song, it's nothing different for me, and I'm afraid I don't really like it...it's just the fact that it sounds like every other heavy metal/grunge/hardcore (or whatever you call it) song out there...I'm sure people who like those genres can appreciate it though.

Listen to some Dream Theater. Particularly, songs like "another day."
  • Atlus%s's Photo
    Listening to "Another Day"...
    Yeah...my mind hasn't really changed. Fine, this song doesn't put you in an agressive frame of mind, and from the intro it was sounding really promising. But I think instead of that distortion and effect they put on the "overdrive" section in the intro that sounds Guns&Roses esq., it would have sounded better, to my mind, if it would have been just Acoustic...it would have maintained that thoughtful mood.
    I wish I could listen to the whole of it, but my connection is so slow at the moment, I can't download the whole thing...it really pisses me off. Estimated download time for the MP3 of the song is about 2 Hours...it's really pathetic. But of course I can't really pass a valid judgement on it as yet because I only heard like 20 Seconds...and that's all I can judge it on now.
    I'll post again when I really listen to the song, but I don't expect my mind will change, although I will of course keep an open mind.
  • iGNiTED%s's Photo
    well...i sort of dont get what ur saying....^...its a slow acoustic song, with no distortion....i meant for it to fit the name "tranquility"...so umm...yeah...thanks for the comments guys...
  • Atlus%s's Photo
    Really sorry iGNiTED, I was commenting on the Dream Theater one, not yours! I sorta forgot about yours, so here's some feedback for it!
    The intro is quite mysterious, and it's really nice. The intro certainly doesn't need any drums...I would probably suggest a verse without, then a verse with, after that, and then drums throughout.
    The thing I like about this is that it doesn't use Open Chords...I have to say that they sicken me when just used on their own. That old C/F/Am/G progression is one that pisses me off somewhat, and it's good to see that you are obviously not scared to try something different. For me, tranquility isn't a good name for it. I don't know...maybe something more mysterious...it reminds me of a forest at night, and walking through it, fearing there's something around the corner. That's my image for it anyway.
    Are you using a Microphone to record guitar? Because that's quite village...(ok you won't understand that expression...but never mind) with anything else apart from acoustic. I invested in an M-Audio USB Sound Interface device, and it costed about £80, but well worth it. It cuts out all background noises, you can apply your own effects to it, and in essence, it uses anything as an amplifier...you can put it back into your guitar amp, or even plug it into a Home Cinema System, which is what I do, to get Dolby 5.1 Surround (nice on a Gibson, as you can imagine!). Basically, guitar lead straight into computer, and it has an XLR input as well for high quality mics. Might be something you should look at.
    Anyway, good work, continue, keep it up. You can never get tired of writing music...
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    distorted/overdriven/etc. solos in minor key can be extremely sad or epic sounding. Another day is just one of those. If you've only heard 20 seconds of it, then you aren't getting the full effect.

I'm just pointing out that what you base your opinion of distortion on is just plain ignorant. Distorted guitar is a very prominent sound, to be sure. Much more so than acoustic. It has PRESENCE. It leaps out at the listener. Any agressiveness is being conveyed solely to acentuate that fact. But it can also be used for emotional pieces to great effect because of that presence. It can do so in a way that the quietness of the acoustic guitar cannot quite match. It is a "less" subtle instrument, but it also has much variance and life in it's sound, enough to match it's acoustic cousin easily. Which is why I said the distorted song on the first page was bad... there was an obvious lack of control.
  • Atlus%s's Photo

distorted/overdriven/etc. solos in minor key can be extremely sad or epic sounding.  Another day is just one of those.  If you've only heard 20 seconds of it, then you aren't getting the full effect.

I'm just pointing out that what you base your opinion of distortion on is just plain ignorant.  Distorted guitar is a very prominent sound, to be sure.  Much more so than acoustic.  It has PRESENCE.  It leaps out at the listener.  Any agressiveness is being conveyed solely to acentuate that fact.  But it can also be used for emotional pieces to great effect because of that presence.  It can do so in a way that the quietness of the acoustic guitar cannot quite match.  It is a "less" subtle instrument, but it also has much variance and life in it's sound, enough to match it's acoustic cousin easily.  Which is why I said the distorted song on the first page was bad... there was an obvious lack of control.

I'm sorry, but I just completely disagree with you. I don't think distorted guitar has as much presence as Acoustic guitar. Acoustic songs leap out to me more than emo-rock songs. And generally, Acoustic guitar is much more pleasing to my ear than some Metallica song. There are bands that use distortion in a different way, and if there weren't so many then perhaps I'd like it more. But it just pisses me off that all these emo Bands like Hoobastank make their livings through producing repetetive, boring and unoriginal songs about their petty love lives. Enough said - that's my opinion.
  • MachChunk 3%s's Photo
    I guess I tend to not really like heavy distortion, as I'm a bass player that likes to be heard. You could experiment with Wah and Delay/Chorus, I like to play with those pedals whenever I'm at a guitar shop. Wah in perticular, when used tastefully, is very sweet sounding.
  • Blitz%s's Photo

I'm sorry, but I just completely disagree with you. I don't think distorted guitar has as much presence as Acoustic guitar. Acoustic songs leap out to me more than emo-rock songs. And generally, Acoustic guitar is much more pleasing to my ear than some Metallica song. There are bands that use distortion in a different way, and if there weren't so many then perhaps I'd like it more. But it just pisses me off that all these emo Bands like Hoobastank make their livings through producing repetetive, boring and unoriginal songs about their petty love lives. Enough said - that's my opinion.

well, that's just the emo crowd. Who the fuck cares about them? They don't know how to play their damn instruments.

For christ sakes, you are being totally illogical about this. Saying distortion is a shallow flippant sound just because the emokids can't get it to sound any other way, doesn't mean shit about what REAL musicians can do with it.
  • iGNiTED%s's Photo
    hey guys...
    im back with a new song...
    i called it... "Inspiration"...
    (original isnt it)
    i think the distortion works pretty well in this song...
    and the drums timing is better...
    well...i hope u like it...

.:josh:.
  • iGNiTED%s's Photo
    um...wow no replies...

guess u guys didnt like it...lol...
    im gonna re edit it anyways...the drums are a little off, and the screams are too loud, and i might make another chorus/solo thing...

well...

cheers

.:joSh:.

|)

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading