News / The Future of NE

• Nitrous Oxide%s's Photo
    Bring back #4 (Weekly Designs)
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    what about the list? will it be updated, will it even exist? and will it be rct1 and rct2 or will they be seperated? and the weekly designs were fine.. givin me sumtin to d/l =)..
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Just thought I'd chip this observation in:

When Cav's RCT Depot switched from primarily RCT-oriented content to include roller coasters, their hits absolutely exploded, and eventually, they had to get a new host, but Cav never got enough time to consistently update it (best part were the regular coaster vids), and eventually, it closed down.

So success can have its price, but my main point is that expanding to include coasters (more timeless than RCT), will result in greater popularity.
  • posix%s's Photo
    This just came to my mind so it maybe shit cos of a reason I haven't noticed by now.

How bout making 'The List' voted! ?

Like we had the Awards. Maybe in periods of two weeks or with new spotlight release. My aim is to make it a chart-like thing. You can have records like 'being No1 for 5 weeks' or 'from zero to No1'. This may even be a motivation for parkmakers? and besides the List would be more actual.

There are quite some exciting things about this imo...
    but never ever make spotlight voted.

think of it... it's just a suggestion.

P.S.: I guess that would be q_u_i_t_e some work, eh?
  • Stargazer%s's Photo
    Yeah Mantis, you better have a fan page for me! J/k

I'm looking forward to Mantis's site seeing as I'm writing a huge TI walkthrough for it! Oh well, NE should overtake D-Net soon if all these expansions happen (I wish) oh well....

*Stargazer* :t2:
  • jhoffa%s's Photo

Yeah Mantis, you better have a fan page for me! J/k

I'm looking forward to Mantis's site seeing as I'm writing a huge TI walkthrough for it! Oh well, NE should overtake D-Net soon if all these expansions happen (I wish) oh well....

*Stargazer* :t2:

I'm writing an article too!

Except it sucks. Not. Yes.
  • Themeparkmaster%s's Photo
    I think including real coasters isn't such a good idea. It may bring more hits but they wont be people wanting to sign up in the forums and look at RCT1/2 parks if they are only interested in real coasters and therefore will do more harm then good.

If I was you, iris, I would...

1) Bring back the Weekly Designs
    2) Bring back your list and then have a seperate list that included Posix's idea as it is a very, very good idea.
    3) Make the mods pages as they seem to be popular among the mods.
    4) Get more affiliates and advertise more.
    5) Update the runner ups sooner after the spotlights as if I am correct the next batch of runner ups will be for a couple of weeks old spotlight.

But im not you so i'll shut up now...yes I will...right about...now...no...now!

PS. Mantis I want to write an article or something for ya site, it can be anything you please. Contact me on AIM...please.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    Well I like the current List (though we never get to see it any more, only brief refrences to parks which may be on it), but a member voted list would be a cool feature. Members would get to give a score for RCT parks and then the parks would be listed in order by their average scores much like IMDB. That way there would be a barometer for what the people of NE think are the best parks and parkmakers could see their standing in public opinion. Well I would enjoy such a feature anyway.

I think coaster related content is a good idea. This site is definately based around RCT, but most people who play RCT seriously have at least a passing interest in rollercoasters and amusement parks. The trouble is, most coaster sites tend to kick around the same type of content. Coaster and park reviews seem kinda silly to me cause there's just so many of them. RCDB pretty much has the coaster stats covered. Rumors/News of upcoming stuff is always important and the demise of thrillride.com has sorta left a rift in that department. There's always a demand for QUALITY coaster videos and pictures. With the international members here, it would be great to see some nice pictures of overseas amusement parks for which nice pictures are generally harder to come by unfortunately. I think there's definately room for coaster content but some care should be taken to find worthwhile content and not the same old junk.

Weekly designs were enjoyable but I would caution you to consider dropping the word 'weekly' from that title because it always tends to generate complaints. I think it was a great feature and would be glad to see it return so long as the quality level was the same.

Another thing I'd like to see more of is tips or advice about parkmaking in general. We here at NE claim to be the best of the best RCT parkmakers. I for one believe this is true and I also think we should use our knowledge to help others. Less experienced parkmakers may be drawn to the site if we had a regular series of columns written by the parkmaking staff on various topics related to parkmaking. I don't know how many of the parkmakers would go for this, but I'm sure at least some would. If NE was not just a place to find great parks but also a place to get good advice on making your own parks, the general perception that we're a bunch of elitists may improve.
  • jhoffa%s's Photo
    I'm no photographer, but I could try and help with those coaster pics.
  • Blast Coaster%s's Photo
    Iris, I would like to become an affiliate if possible. You know my URL ;)
  • Tyler%s's Photo
    MOD PAGES@!!@!!!

That's exciting.
  • Butterfinger%s's Photo
    I would love to become a graphics designer or webmaster, but I would suck at both jobs..... so nevermind :lol:

I like all suggestions, but have one thing to say: BRING BACK THE LIST!!! Maybe include Posix's idea.... but I dunno... there might be some problems with EVERYONE voting on it... there would be to much bias and sucky parks like legends and LW might be up at the top to... perhaps a panel of judges would work better? (i.e.- retired parkmakers and such?). I dunno, but, whatever, just bring the list back ;)
  • posix%s's Photo

there would be to much bias and sucky parks like legends and LW might be up at the top to...

Well I don't think that will happen...
    Like I said I imagine a 'charts-effect'.
    Today, no one would ever buy a Michael Jackson 90s single although it maybe a legendary song which influenced the music industry.
    New stuff is always more interesting and so the List will change and thats interesting too :)

Another idea: If a spotlight manages to get No1 (by votes) then it may get a 'Golden Spotlight' Award or something...
    if it keeps being on top for 5 weeks it could be Platinum Spotlight or whatever...

I think it's quite exciting =)

So if we have a new Spotlight it could get one week to reach No1. Within this week the votes will be hidden till the end of the week or if the park gets No1. This makes awards like 'Got No1 in 2days' possible...

legendary parks like OV, LW could have their own section under 'Misc NE' so they keep their hype and couldn't be forgotten (cos their not in the charts anymore...)

what u think?
  • Adix%s's Photo

there would be to much bias and sucky parks like legends and LW might be up at the top to

It's happened in the religion topic, and here....

Why do you act like your opinion is fact?
  • Tyler%s's Photo
    My opinion is always a fact.

But really. Sounds like iris is bringing NE out of the shitter.

Fo' sho'!
  • mantis%s's Photo

Another thing I'd like to see more of is tips or advice about parkmaking in general. We here at NE claim to be the best of the best RCT parkmakers. I for one believe this is true and I also think we should use our knowledge to help others. Less experienced parkmakers may be drawn to the site if we had a regular series of columns written by the parkmaking staff on various topics related to parkmaking. I don't know how many of the parkmakers would go for this, but I'm sure at least some would. If NE was not just a place to find great parks but also a place to get good advice on making your own parks, the general perception that we're a bunch of elitists may improve.

That's what my site is going to be for - which is why I'm asking people to write articles :)
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo

...and the demise of thrillride.com has sorta left a rift in that department. There's always a demand for QUALITY coaster videos and pictures. With the international members here, it would be great to see some nice pictures of overseas amusement parks for which nice pictures are generally harder to come by unfortunately. I think there's definately room for coaster content but some care should be taken to find worthwhile content and not the same old junk.

That's the point... ever since ThrillRide! went down, we have rarely seen a site with quality coaster reviews. Most are simple descriptions of rides. They lack Coker's amazing writing touch (and he is a wonderful coaster writer). We need those. ;)
  • natelox%s's Photo
    i only know 2 wonderful writers, one, how is a roller coaster element, and the other whose name is half of his real last name (if that made any sense).
  • Micool%s's Photo

the other whose name is half of his real last name (if that made any sense).

You think he'd have time to write?
  • Arklon%s's Photo
    I know HTML and PHP with mysql. I have a tendency of coding things a bit sloppy, (which I can fix after I'm done coding) which I'm sure most people do anyway. But, I do know how to make a website with an online control panel to edit/add/delete pages, layouts, news, and the like. However, right now I'm a bit busy, so I'm not sure how well I'd do with a (co-)webmaster job at the moment.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading