General Chat / The Future Architects' Thread

• PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    I like the design nate. Its fun to do small floorplan projects because it really makes you think how to use the space, but accomodatiosn for 16 people is just no fun. Props for not going to bunk beds (or did your instructor say you couldn't?). I still really like the roof, nice way to let light into a floorplan that is required to be fairly divided up, gets light into every room.

RCFan, that is nice work figuring out sketchup... but there isn't a whole lot to comment on outside of that. Maybe develop it a little more.
  • X250%s's Photo
    This 'Sketch-up' program, is it free or do you have to buy it? It looks really neat browsing around their website, but there aint no real information on whether its a free download or not lol. Architecture might be something i want to get into when im older, aslong as it don't entail too much maths i'll be okay. =/

-X-
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    Hypothetically you have to pay for it if you want the full pro version, although you can download a basic version for free. And in my experience thus far you don't need to know all that much math, the only thing you use it for is scales or finding areas and what not. Its the more concrete math rather than all that abstract imaginary crap.

Edited by PyroPenguin, 16 November 2006 - 10:47 AM.

• RCFanB&M%s's Photo
    I made it with Paint lol :lol:
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    Thats paint? It looks a lot like sketch up. Impressive for paint, but paint is a horrible program to do anything architectural with.
  • RCFanB&M%s's Photo
    I know...but how I said before, it was just for fun.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    I have a question:

Do actual architecture programs have surveying, probability and statistics, differential equations, physics, mechanics of materials, electrical circuits, fluid mechanics, structural analysis, soil mechanics, or thermal analysis?

I'm curious, because I want to see the difference between an ArchE's curriculum vs an actual Architecture curriculum.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    The program that I'm in is called "Architectural and Building Engineering Technology" which essentially covers many of those topics. I've had courses on statistics, physics, structural analysis all of which relate to buildings. This term I have courses on mechanical systems, structural analysis, specifciation writing, estimating, building construction, architectural technology, electrical, construction contracts. Next term we'll have courses on plumbing, surveying and things of that nature. No calculus though. I think pure architecture programs are focused more on design than the technical aspects.
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    I'm in a straight up Architecture program (Architectural Studies) and the only math/science I have to take is Physics and Calculus. Then other technical courses specific to architecture we have to take are are Building Systems, Building Systems Lab, Materials Methods and Procedures, Resource Managment, and Compliance and Specifications.
  • X250%s's Photo
    wow this sketch-up is an amazing piece of kit! Its definitly the best drawing program ive ever used, better than 2D design anyway, that smells. Anyway ive been playing about with all the functions and i made an office structure. Its nothing special really, just gettin to use with the tools!

Posted Image

(ps:- any ways of getting sketch-up pro5 for free?)

-X-
  • natelox%s's Photo
    I forgot about an important book, Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead." Strongly reccomended for all those interested in architecture.
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    I read the foutainhead a couple years ago. Its a great book overall, but I felt it trailed off a little at the end. If you can look past the sometimes over the top preachyness its a good read.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Nate, you've got a nice present waiting for you in your PM inbox. :)
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    I have a question guys. Can anyone direct me to sites/literature/study books about steelframe construction, because we're a bit stuck on the project with it because of lack of information. We're interested in the technical parts of it and order in which elements are place. Everything from connections to fire safety etc is welcome. Thanks in advance.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    Hmm.. You may want to check out some of those Ching books. I'll tell you a bit about fire protection for steel: Steel is horrible in fire, as I'm sure you know. You could encase columns in concrete, spray with cementious fire proofing, encase in fire-rated drywall or coat with intumescent paint. What do you need to know about connections? It's greatly dependent upon the forces that are present. You can attach to a beam to a column with a shear connection (framed connection) or seated connection. You'll need moment connections were moment is present. If the connection is going to be done on site, try for bolts. Welding is best done in controlled conditions.

If you're looking for ideas check out this very cool Vancouver based steel company. On their website they have extremely high quality 3D renderings of steel structure for many prominant Vancouver buildings. Here's an example, but you really need to download their PDF's, or their 3D Web Model Viewer for full effect (the pictures below are not representitive of the quality of the PDF's. They are much better):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Note how the columns are incased in concrete for fire protection. Actually, it looks like the columns are concrete with a very short steel column embeded at the top. Buildings are designed on a strong column, weak beam theory. Beam failure is localized where as a column failure could be catestrophic. Steel is way stronger than concrete, but concrete is less likely to fail in fire which is likely why the whole column in concrete. Thus, beams can be a little less over designed than columns. Also note the web stiffiners where point loads occur to protect against localized buckling of the flange.

Corkscrewed, thank you so very much for the eary Christmas gift! Haven't had time to look yet, but I'll definetly have some comments/questions by the end of the weekend! Once my eyes return to their normal colour of course.

By the way, I should have pictures of my model soon as I'm almost done. It turned out quite well, but one wall is horribly off angle, and my windows are complete crap. My instructor told us to use a #11 X-Acto blade. I later heard him say it's good for contours. Well yeah, the thing fish-tails all over the place. Definetly using a rigid blade that doesn't go anywhere next time.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    Here's the model! I'm very happy with it (but that doesn't mean it's perfect; quite far from it actually!).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • eman%s's Photo
    Looks GREAT! Thanks for sharing it with us. :)
  • RCTFAN%s's Photo
    What is that, cork board or balsa?
  • eman%s's Photo
    Looks like cork board to me.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    That's a nice model.

A question though: Are the dowl rods tree trunks? If not, what are they?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading