General Chat / The Future Architects' Thread

• penguinBOB%s's Photo
    holy shit!

i just registered for my first semester of classes today. nothing related to architecture at all yet. =\
  • natelox%s's Photo
    I think that is typical of most universities. My personal, unexperianced opinion, is that universities first make their attendee's better, more well rounded citizens, then concentrate on educating them in the topics they're actually interested in. That isn't to say they, or you require that.
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo

I think that is typical of most universities. My personal, unexperianced opinion, is that universities first make their attendee's better, more well rounded citizens, then concentrate on educating them in the topics they're actually interested in. That isn't to say they, or you require that.

View Post

That's about what I've experienced too. My freshman year I only had one class in the School of Engineering, and even it was basically breadth (Fortran programming). Sophomore year I started to get a few mechanical engineering classes, but it's still been at least half breadth. Next year is when the fun really starts.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    Final exams next week! Six in four days. I've got a three day weekend and I need to put together a portfolio over the summer, so I organized a few things today. Figured I'd show some drawings. They're entierly functional drawings, not design. The apearance of the drawings below is based on aesthetics. This is not how we view them when drawing or when they are printed.

Posted Image
    Underground parking garage with 36 spaces. The intent of this assignment was to design a parking garage within the City of Vancouver's regulations.

Posted Image
    Concrete foundation plan for a small home. Everything must considered with these projects. The depth of the footing depends either on drainage, lateral support, acceptable bearing and frost cover. Frost cover is based on new elevations and acceptable bearing is based on existing. Floor joists, retaining walls, wall assemblies, site drainage and many other aspects had to be worked out. We were working in three person teams, and this drawing took approximatly 30 hours. Not sure about the other two sheets (Site Plan and Details/Section).
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    images aren't showing up. =\

However, I'm impressed that you're delving into the technical aspects so quickly. You talk about foundations and stuff like you're a pro already, making me feel inadequate. :p :'(
  • natelox%s's Photo
    There, that should work. I'm in an architectural technology program, so the focus is less on design more on how things work in all aspects of construction. All the courses are related to architecture and construction; no 'exterior' courses on say English or Psychology which, when combined with 8 courses a term for three terms, probably permits this 'accelerated' knowledge.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    There's a plus side to all that intense work then. ;) Images show up now, and they look nice. Pretty much looks like what I did this past year. There, I said it. You're up to USC 4th year level in terms of building construction already. :(
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    those skematics are fucking complicated.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    Some interesting Guggenhiem Bilbao pictures.

Posted Image
    I've shown this one before, and it still amazes me.

Posted Image
    Looks like an intimidating walk to me.

Posted Image
    The aspect that is most striking about this is the accessibility ramp. Yikes! The chamfered portions aren't even flush with the treads! But also notice the camera and how it misses the corner. Also note that the rail isn't continous, nor does it return to the wall.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    History: I received a project back yesturday and wasn't very happy with the mark (76%). I'm not saying I deserved better, that's the instructors call, but I was looking over his comments and some of them were way off base. Granted, there were legitimate concerns, but others; yikes!

Perspectives: We were to design an interior space for an office building renovation. One aspect he commented on was the orientation of desks. The doctors didn't get a view of the mountains from their desks. Well, I have had the privillage of living in an appartment with incredible views, and my desk didn't face the mountains. Fact is, when you're working you're focusing on what you're doing, not looking at views. If you want to see the view, stand up, walk to the window, and admire. That's what I did when I wanted to see the view. It was no inconvience what so ever. In another instance, in the requirments he stated we must use 75% T-Bar ceiling and 25% our own choice. I complied, but then he writes "I said you needed 75% T-Bar lighting and 25% other lighting. Read the instructions." No, he didn't. And no, I can't bring this up with him because he'll say "it was implied." I used suspended lights which I think would look a lot better, but he was complaining about the cost. Firstly, economy was not presented as the major issue, and secondly, perhaps the client might perfer to splurge on better lighting if it will make the employees actually proud and happy to return to their cubicals every morning (Each of my cubicals was individual, but no, that "doesn't add anything to the space").

Conclusion: Obviously the instructor has a different set of values than I (and others). Like I said, he had ligitmate concerns and so be it. It's something to learn from. I had installed 98 lights and only required 56 (he counted them). 98 would have created too much glare. However, I find it very annoying that I like my idea and he likes his idea. Architecture is so subjective. If someone says "I want more natural light," that's great. There are many benefits associated with that. However, that means more windows, reduced privacy, increased heat gain/loss, increased energy costs and so on. There are pros and cons to everything. My instructor, as are most I assume, are quite fair in this regard, but just some of the comments he's written seem inane and in some instances, contradictory.
  • PyroPenguin%s's Photo
    You think that is bad, I had an instructor last year give me a B after getting nothing but positive comments all along on our final house project. In his comments, everything he said was praising what I had done, but then he threw in that he didn't know how much of it was intentional. He had worked with me the whole time, listened to my reasoning, knew that I knew why it was the way it was, and he marks me down because he doesn't know how much of it was intentional.
  • RCTFAN%s's Photo
    Something i did in my last weekly project (this took an hour or two). In groups of 5 we had to design an intervention in Plymouth, something that would make us feel more comfortable and to design around people using the space.

Posted Image

Posted Image

RFan
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    RCTFAN, that looks a lot like the little sitting areas at UMass Dartmouth. There are actually 3 together that look like a 666 which leads to the urban legend that the guy who designed UMD is a Satanist. I'll try to find a picture for you.
  • AustinPowers%s's Photo
    I really don't like bilbao...at all. I'm not sure about the accessibility issues with it since the code in spain is no doubt greatly different from our ADA standards....but yeah, that ramp sucks....our code requires a 1 to 12 slope max (about 8%) with landings I think every 30 feet. That and the hand rail should extend 18" before ending. But yeah, Gehry is horrible. I bet that building leaks too. We have a Gehry building on our campus and it has had a leaky roof since it was built...I guess he has one thing in common with FLW...leaky roofs. This quarter is intense for us at UC. We are doing an ecological design and we have to get as many LEED points as we can...all the buildings will probably be LEED Gold at least. The work load is just incredible...and to top it off they told us at the start of the quarter that no one gets an A this quarter...and if we do absolutely everything they ask us to do and well, we will get a C...and so far that is holding true. My prof is in love with green roofs, so my building is basically covered with them....it's actually a pretty cool design, maybe I'll put up a few images of it eventually.

I feel ya on the IDP corky...I actually need to sign up for that so I can start getting my hours over co-op recorded. I worked down in Atlanta over the summer at a firm called Ai Group...it was pretty cool, I did quite a bit of 3d work and helped design a few different projects...and of course const. drawings.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    I got IDP clarified, so it's not so bad anymore. Just keep stringent track of your hours and you should be fine.

1:12 slope is minimum for ADA, not max. :p

LEED projects, AP? Dayam. That's progressive thinking. I'm sure you think it's hell now, but that's something that'll be priceless in the future. Just think: you can very well come out of UC LEED certified. That'll be huge in the upcoming future as people start to pay attention to that. I almost wish USC would do something like that.

Almost.

Although I'm not a fan of the "no one gets an 'A'" thing. Maybe they're just trying to scare you, but that's pretty stupid to just announce.

Anyway, I just had a review today that went pretty well. We're designing a huge urban space here in Saintes, France. I've never worked with a site this big, and we won't have time to get into real detailed architectural design either. But it's a really cool experience, and I'm learning about urban planning and design without actually having to major in it! :D

I'll probably post some work sometime, when I feel it's "presentation quality."

Nate, I'm on your side here. Your prof's comments seem way to subjective, reflecting his own biased agenda more than anything.

And even though your schooling is more technical based, I don't think you should have to worry about costs so importantly. You're in school. This should be the time when you're free to exercise as much creativity as you can, before quality control and real life hit you after graduation.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    so, um. i'm 5th on the wait list for arche 203 (introduction to architectural design). and i'm taking a surveying class next semester. now i'll see if i actually like it...
  • natelox%s's Photo
    I had to do a research project on a contemporary architect (we pulled I.M. Pei out of a hat). It turned out beautifully! These day's I'm less concerned with what the instructor wants and more interested in what I want. He can give me whatever he wants.

Anyways, found this quote in my research and thought you all may be interested.

They kept talking about making the drawings conform to the regulations, and I had to keep telling them that this was something that was going to be seen - I.M. Pei

By the way, Corkscrewed, I was looking at your site the other day, at your projects, and I must say that I am very impressed! I know I previously said I wasn't a fan, but they look great through my new eyes. Your model building skills seem top notch! I get to build my first model soon (due. Nov. 28), but I haven't quite finished the plans yet. The instructor gave us too many things to place in our building (within the FSR/FAR), so he had to increase the FSR and he gave a week extension.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Haha, that's always flattering to hear!

There's been a lot of development over the years, that's for sure. And even though I know I've barely touched the surface of architecture, I feel like I've learned so much. I came into this major with only an intense desire to learn and the knowledge that this was what I wanted to do. But in terms of actual knowledge of architecture, I was rather dim. Heck, even my first models sucked (there's a reason they're not on the site :lol: ).

Now... I'm not as dim. :) And Europe has really exposed me to a lot of great things, so if ANYONE ever gets a chance to study abroad, TAKE IT. It will change your life. Cost be damned! With the experience you gain from this, you should be able to enrich your own work to the point where you can get a good job that will help you pay off your debts. :D

Interestingly, I don't even like building models. Or rather, I don't like building them when I have to. I'm more than willing to make things on my own time, but when they're due... it takes all the fun out of them. So I'm always combative when my teacher says "build a new model." :lol:
  • Top Gun%s's Photo
    I dont mean to veer off topic but I had a few questions. Im in my sophmore year of High School(2nd year) and I was wondering what classes I should take if I wanted to become an architect. So far I know my school doeas not offer any drafting classes(which sucks). If Im not able to take any architecture classes in High School would it be too late to start in college?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Top Gun, 08 November 2006 - 06:00 PM.

• Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    ^ ....wtf?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading