(Archive) Place-To-Release-Your-Parks Land / Elegant Hills

• JDP%s's Photo
    All right well as I said before, I am going to try new ways of my building. I took some of my new ideas and mix them with my older thoughts and came out with this. I was told by yeshli2nuts that every building as it's purpose. Ya know, the simplest words of advice are some times the best. It didnt really hit me untill then. Then I just thought of going to a park and looking to what I would see on the midway. Many buildings lined up as one row. Some are apart, but most realistic park buildings are connected with other buildings of some sort. So here are some shots of the midway... nothing too much but enough to comment on I hope.

Posted Image

Posted Image

...good and bad comments are welcome...

Thanks,
    -JDP

Edited by JDP, 06 August 2006 - 11:24 PM.

• FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    i like the set up in these screens. it very realistic. you have some great beginings to buildings but i think the detail sorta ruins them. im not saying no detail just not exactly the detail you have. to begin with try to blend the textures of the building so that they match somewhat. that way they are different yet collect to make a nice look. if you are going to use two different textures try to somewhat divide them with a beam or some art deco.

second use the same type of windows on the same buildings. from these screen some buildings have three different types of windows. too many different types of windows makes for a sorta jumbled up look. most buildings have many of the same type of windows. and if you want to use two different types then split them up by level. have the first floor with one kind of window and then the second with a different type. in that case make the first floor windows that are more likley found on the first floor in theme parks. larger windows to show of the buildings insides. then the second floor are smaller because that is not nesesarily where attention is ment to be brought. also dont leave too many walls of you building bare. if you have empty space put in some windows of doors to make the building more detailed.

finally add some life to your building. right now there kinda blocks with windows and doors. add some fences to the base of the buiding. outline the windows and door with araches and place some fences on the roof. i see you've started this but you have a sorta half way point. some buildings have just fences some have just roof. both can look great together.

dont mean to be bosy. these are just tips i know i found useful when i started paly. also you work so far looks great. i just think some well tuned detail could spruce it up. good luck.

FK+Coastermind
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo
    Ok, I assume you know the purpose behind each building, then? Good start. Now, show us that purpose.

At the moment, there is no life to that midway. The architecture is random, with overly eclectic textures, and in general there's no detail.

It's an ok start. Now turn it into something.

-ACE
  • inVersed%s's Photo
    I am not a huge fan of the colors, there all plain and nothing stands at really. Also I think things would look better if you added some 3 level buildings in there and detailed the fronts a bit more. Good start though man
  • lightkeeper%s's Photo
    I agree with inversed about the three level buildings.

Also, I dont really get the up and down log things over the carousel, and if you do keep them, you missed one, front row center.
  • RCFanB&M%s's Photo
    It looks good...
    It's better than your previows work. You could make more detailed buildings, and using more walls textures.
    I also don't like too much how you placed the windows...
    Anyway, this looks quite interesting, and I have to say you have improved your architecture skills since your last work. Keep going.

Edited by RCFanB&M, 07 August 2006 - 05:29 PM.

• JKay%s's Photo
    For the most part, I agree with all the comments here.

You've shown continual improvement, but I know you can do better than this JD.
    These buildings look like a bunch of warehouses to me. Not very distinguishable; all boxy.

I'm still always glad to see your work though.
  • Milo%s's Photo
    It's a pretty good start but it's so bland and lifeless. And the buildings need some height variation and such. It is a nice realistic approach and you are improving so keep going.

Edited by OLE, 07 August 2006 - 12:11 PM.

• JDP%s's Photo
    All right guys thats for the comments...

FK+Coastermind- Read over your tips, thanks. Some might be put to use.

ACEfanatic02- gotchya.

inVersed- though of it but i really never tried it. will do though.

lightkeeper- I add them for an effect to the carousel. And im not missing one, it's just a glitch.

RCFanB&M- All right.

JKay- Okay.

OLE- Will try it out.

Thanks for all the comments. But could some one please tell me a good way to add detail with out having to erase any of my buildings and interfering with the path? I got what all of you said but no one really gave a good example of adding detail. Thanks again.
    -JDP
  • Milo%s's Photo
    I dunno. Maybe add a level to the buildings and maybe some balconies.
  • RCFanB&M%s's Photo
    These objects may be a good start...
    Posted Image

Do you have them? Well, I'm sure you have the pole, but the others?

Edited by RCFanB&M, 07 August 2006 - 05:39 PM.

• geewhzz%s's Photo
    Glass windows...deco blocks....build small to make things look "detailed"

foilage, plants, variation of paths, good layout, real looking doors.

work on textures, variation of roofing, better awnings, balconies, etc.

It honestly looks like you're using the default scenary that comes with the game, and it looks pretty terrible.

From all the reading you do on this forum and looking at other peoples work, it honestly just doesn't look like you put any time into YOUR work.

The best work anyone does takes a long time, remember that.
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo

Thanks for all the comments. But could some one please tell me a good way to add detail with out having to erase any of my buildings and interfering with the path? I got what all of you said but no one really gave a good example of adding detail. Thanks again.

You're gonna want to break up the buildings a bit. As well as the path. Add foliage, flowers, whatever. There are paths that go 'backstage'.

As for the architecture, as I said - show us the purpose. For example - say there's a restaurant inside one of those buildings. What do restaurants have? Signs. Inviting entrances. Large windows granting a view while you eat. Perhaps some outdoor seating. Take a look at real buildings (irregardless of whether they're in a theme park or not) and get a grasp on what the basic elements of design are, and incorperate those into your architecture. Google Image Search is excellent for this.

There are some general rules of architecture you should follow, as well. (assuming you're aiming for realism.) Consistent textures, for one. Some of those buildings have two separate types of brick. While I'm sure you could find a real building that has the same, you wouldn't find one built like that. In any case, it's not asthetic.

Everything in architecture is built logically. What you have is a random assortment of textures, with windows slapped on like decals. Think about it - would you build a window that's halfway blocked by an awning? There's almost always an asthetic pattern to such things as window placement, entrances, rooflines.

Let's talk about roofs. First and formost, there's too much vertical rise here. Especially if you insist on having wall-to-wall architecture, there should be setbacks in the buildings. Buildings should be built on a human scale - large enough to be functional, small enough (or appear small enough, at the least) so as not to intimidate. As for the roofs themselves - think about drainage (the primary concern with roof design). Water flows down. As it is, your roofs are going to end up trapping pools of water on the roof between opposing slopes, where it causes damage. Important? Not really. But it's one of those subtle things that drives design.

In general, the more real-life examples you look at, the better your results will be (in terms of realism).

Hope this is of some help.

-ACE
  • supertrooper%s's Photo

Take a look at real buildings (irregardless of whether they're in a theme park or not) and get a grasp on what the basic elements of design are, and incorperate those into your architecture.
    Hope this is of some help.

Please tell me you didn't just use the word "irregardless".

Oh well...you gave good advice, so I will overlook it, but don't let it happen again.

REGARDLESS of what a dictionary may tell you (it will probably say that it is used casually and means regardless), the word is wrong and gets under my skin when I hear it used...almost as much as "dethaw" (ex. "I have to take some chicken out of the freezer to dethaw").

I'm not trying to pick on you or start a fight or anything, I'm just letting you know for your own sake. Using "irregardless" makes the speaker or writer seem unintelligent, which you obviously are not. Try removing it from your vocabulary.

'trooper
  • postit%s's Photo
    lol

yeah, I hate that almost as much as I hate it when people pronounce similar like "simular". You know what I mean?

But on topic, listen to what everyone has said. Most people probably are going to suggest looking at Spotlights, which is certainly a good way to improve yourself. I, however, would not try to copy architecture from Spotlights. I would try to gain a feel for spacing, landscaping, and foliaging from Spotlights, but as far as coasters and architecture go, that's where you should try to do some research. This is all in my opinion, of course, and what I would suggest.
  • yeshli2nuts%s's Photo

...almost as much as "dethaw" (ex. "I have to take some chicken out of the freezer to dethaw").

Wouldn't "dethaw" be a proper word when someone is talking about freezing something? (the opposite of thaw)

It's nice to know that you took my comments to heart from your last park. Besides what everyone else said about your wall textures, I just don't think your buildings come together to give it a real life atmosphere. Being that you've been to Gadv, thats an easy park to use as an example. Look at Gadv's Boardwalk section. The midway is mostly game booths which all have an open, "airy" feel to them. Nathan's and Ted's Cheeseteaks are the only actual buildings that are part of the midway. Nathan's has full floor to cealing windows and Ted's also has big glass windows with a bunch of outdoor seating ( http://www.gadv.com/...oodPhotos/2.jpg ) ( http://www.gadv.com/...oodPhotos/1.jpg ). The rest of the restaurants are just counter service ( http://www.gadv.com/...walkdining.html ). The Boardwalk also has wide open paths. What you showed doesn't give off the right midway atmosphere. I think it's too compact, the paths arent wide enough, and the buildings are too big and bulky, you just never see midways that are made up of big buildings.

It is a jump from your last park so you are getting better so don't be discouraged by these posts.
  • JDP%s's Photo
    Guys, thanks a lot for all the comments. Im going to redo the whole midway. Mess with it as you can say. Im going to make my buildings smaller and space them out a bit. There will only be 3 buildings connected or so. Thanks alot guys, it really means much...
    -JDP

Edited by JDP, 14 August 2006 - 07:16 PM.

• RCFanB&M%s's Photo
    That sounds interesting...
  • JDP%s's Photo
    All right guys, I know these next two screens are not much but I want to know if I am on the right track with my buildings. I erased everything and just started a whole new scenario.

Ticket building and entrance...
    Posted Image

Carousel in the front...
    Posted Image

Let me know, thanks.
    -JDP
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo
    Much better. Not 'omg i'm gonna freak' better, but it looks like a park instead of a bunch of warehouses.

@supertrooper - lol. Fuck you too. ;)

-ACE

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading