Music Forum / This is 'cause I'm hot.

• spiderman%s's Photo

... I did mention "exceptions", although LP is probably only in my opinion.

Word.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    The only reason the radio is the way it is now is because, believe it or not, that IS what people want to hear (even though we may not agree with it, we're the minority). There are far more fake white girls and gangstas to fuel the rap industry for the radio than there are emo/indie kids to fuel the rock/indie/whatever scene. We're outnumbered and have to deal with it. Some good bands are getting exposure which is really interesting though; I've heard Silversun Pickups and Cold War Kids both on the radio today, and not to mention the Shins, Bloc Party and Arcade Fire beating out some other popular musicians on the charts the past few weeks. Its changing slowly, though its not going to change much.
  • trav%s's Photo
    You should come to England then. Emo and Indie is constantly on the radio :p. With the occasional rap song here and there.
  • ekimmel%s's Photo
    Not a bad idea, really. This country is going to hell quickly.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

Not a bad idea, really. This country is going to hell quickly.

I hardly think the music on the radio is indicative of the quality (for lack of a better word) of our country.
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    Just don't listen to top 40 radio...there are alternatives...like XM/Sirus.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

The only reason the radio is the way it is now is because, believe it or not, that IS what people want to hear (even though we may not agree with it, we're the minority). There are far more fake white girls and gangstas to fuel the rap industry for the radio than there are emo/indie kids to fuel the rock/indie/whatever scene. We're outnumbered and have to deal with it. Some good bands are getting exposure which is really interesting though; I've heard Silversun Pickups and Cold War Kids both on the radio today, and not to mention the Shins, Bloc Party and Arcade Fire beating out some other popular musicians on the charts the past few weeks. Its changing slowly, though its not going to change much.

People only listen to what the radio plays, because the radio is playing it.

If label execs decided that only folk music would be played instead of emo, that is what people would listen to. If they pushed avant-garde free jazz to the radio, that is what people would listen to.
  • ekimmel%s's Photo

I hardly think the music on the radio is indicative of the quality (for lack of a better word) of our country.

I disagree with that. Popular music is a reflection of our society. It doesn't drive what society does but it's a pretty good barometer of how people feel.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

I disagree with that. Popular music is a reflection of our society. It doesn't drive what society does but it's a pretty good barometer of how people feel.

No, popular music is a reflection of the corporate nature of our society. I know plenty of GREAT bands that will never share the success of Mims just because they dont have the support of a large recording label. They play what they want you to hear, so if you don't look for anything good, then this is good to you.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    This is the big secret with music: almost anything sounds good if you hear it enough. Seriously. Here's another one: it's surprisingly easy to do. Thousands of years ago the Greeks set epic poems to music so that they would be remembered and passed on before the invention of writing. Fast forward a couple of millenia and cynical record executives pay for their third jaguar by flooding the radio stations with some generic mix of beats and getting people to bob their heads along because it's catchy. Of course it's catchy, if you hear any piece of music 50 times a day it's going to be stuck in your head. Its not about rap or rock or country or anything else. They all do it. Those are just categories which are designed to reach a specific audience. Like Disney cartoons or World War II dramas or the next Saw movie. So here's what you can do about it -- stop complaining and open your eyes and ears to realize that there's great music everywhere. And stop buying/listening to/paying attention to whatever corporate consumerist crap the executives want you to care about. Whether you're buying it or complaining about it, they don't care. The point is they've got your attention. That's what they pay millions of dollars for. It's literally all they care about. The billboards, the TV ads, the movie trailers, whatever. It's all to get whatever they want you to see into your head. This is one case where ignoring it enough will actually make it go away. The same goes for movies. There's art and then there's industry. Support the former, not the latter.

spiderman, check out One Be Lo's S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M. if you don't think rap lyrics can be meaningful. I used to think rap was a waste of time way back in the day and now it's what I listen to most. Which is not to say the same might be true for you, but it's albums like that which really changed my mind. k-os' Joyful Rebellion is another good one. Or Mos Def's Black on Both Sides. Or anything by The Roots. There's a lot of great music everywhere once you start looking for it. Diversify yourself, educate yourself. It will make you a more well-rounded person.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    ^ reppin' the rap again, ed? =)

... can't wait for sfmm.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading