Music Forum / Trance/Electronica/Techno

• Regulatin%s's Photo
    Hey, anyone know any good trance music out there. I'm really into raving and stuff, and I'm supposed to hook the music up for our next one. Anyone know any good beats? :batman:
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Yeah if you play a heavy bass drum in 4/4 time it sounds SO COOL and no one's ever done anything like that before either so that's cool.
  • Regulatin%s's Photo
    Typical post from you.
  • Loopy%s's Photo
    If you want a slight comedy element get 'It's a Rave Dave' by Trash Fashion its pretty darn amusing.
  • X250%s's Photo
    For Trance i'd look into any of Tiƫsto's stuff, that guys the don of all things electronic/trance.

-X-
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    for trance:

william orbit - adagio for strings defines what trance should feel like, for me.
    southside spinners- luvstruck.

ferry corstens L.E.F is quite the album, too, for trance.

The thing is, 'regulatin'... 'rave' and 'trance' are really, really hardly the same thing. And i'm not an expert whatsoever on these things.

Some other music you might be interested in, these are some really nice tunes.. all of them.

dave spoon- at night
    body rox- yeah yeah
    oxia- domino
    heartthrob- baby kate
    splitter- all alone
    dada life- big time

that atleast should help you out.. a bit.
  • Tom_Dj%s's Photo
    Trance is definately not my favourite electronic music style i more like tribal-house, minimal-techno, idm and electro-clash but some progressive/tech trance stuff is quite good.

Like:

Sunlounger - White Sand (DJ Shah Remix)
    Mike Foyle - Love Them Dusk
    Marco V - False Light
    Mark Norman - Phantom Manor (Montana Edit)
    Tiesto - Lethal Industry (Richard Durand Remix)

If you wanna try some other nice electronic music i recommend:

Mathew Jonson - Automatic
    M.A.N.D.Y. vs Booka Shade - Body Language
    Justice - Waters of Nazareth (Erol Alkan Durrr Durrr Re-Edit)
    Franz Ferdinand - The Fallen (Justice Remix)
    Depeche Mode - The Darkest Star (Holden Dub)
    Nathan Fake - Stops
    Kavinsky - Testarossa (SebastiAn Remix)
    Fish Go Deep ft Tracey K - Cure and the Cause (Dennis Ferrer Remix)
    Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
  • posix%s's Photo

body rox- yeah yeah

d.ramirez mix, please.
    sure you meant that, anyway.
    but i remember trying to get this song last year and it always was the wrong one, until i figured what i wanted was d.ramirez mix, duh.
  • spiderman%s's Photo
    I enjoy a fair bit of trance.

Check out DJ Lithium, Tiesto, and Oakenfold.

Also, electronica is completely different from techno and trance...
  • Regulatin%s's Photo
    Bodyrox - Yeah Yeah D. Ramirez remix is already on my list, thats a great remix.
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    To be honest..

the tune is too good, too instantly recognizable, to ruin it by taking the original version.

Given that, the remix sounds a little better.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

for trance:

william orbit - adagio for strings defines what trance should feel like, for me.

the tune is too good, too instantly recognizable, to ruin it by taking the original version.

Funny you should say those two things... Barber's Adagio for Strings is one of the most famous classical songs out there, and is famous for its somber, mournful mood. Not something I want to pop pills to and dance to.

Also, QOTSA's post was pretty spot on.

Edited by Midnight Aurora, 29 April 2007 - 05:12 PM.

• Evil WME%s's Photo
    I'm sorry midnight, but read the above again.. the second quote is about yeah yeah, not adagio for strings.

Adagio for Strings is one of those songs that really hits you, when you're slighly drunk and sleep deprived, at trance energy. And yes, it's something that everyone does indeed dance to. And pop pills, sure. But how would you know right?

I'm talking about the tiesto remix, of course. But i'm gathering you got that from the way i was describing it? I wouldn't know the original, anyways.

Now while i'm not a major fan of trance, techno, house, whatever, as in listening to it on a daily basis at home, i can tell you QOTSA's post is anything but spot on.

Does QOTSA know part of the Southside Spinners, the one that created the tune? He has been playing classisal piano for ten years and can play that very tune up to speed with the song. He is probably at the musical academy here for no reason right? Or not wait... he was there and decided he had nothing to learn, there. Another friend of a friend (cliff coenraad) i've met on occasional basis goes to the same academy. He's busy producing, writing, and whatnot.. 24/7. But i'm sure it's all just the same old same old?

In all honesty, a thread about any kind of music that you can dance to, or 'rave' as regulatin likes it, really doesn't call for such a comment. If it's so simple, why isn't Jellyfish making millions? It must be something right?

I'm a huge fan of Radiohead but they weren't the first to use 7/8ths of a beat in 2 + 2 = 5. Not by a long shot.

Though, by all means.. when we're talking jumpstyle/hardstyle/hardcore whatchamacallit.. we're losing touch with talent imo. The same hardly goes for some of the softer, better types of clubmusic.

Jellybones just likes to dig up the narrow-minded asshole sometimes though, and i'd say let him.. who am i to stop him?
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Well, I slag off on Midnight Aurora for marching band music. I slag off on zodiac for nu-metal. Hell, I even slag off on ride6 for excessive indieness, even though that's probably what I identify with most. Why? It's good to have an opposing opinion sometimes. Even if it's one that isn't particularly well thought-out. I don't make too much of a deal of it though. I planned on making one post about how I find house/trance/clubby techno whatever is boring repetitive crap. (You can disagree though.) Then I was going to leave. Nope, my post wasn't constructive. I was just fucking around. But if Sean Hannity and Alan Colmes get to do tons and tons of their unconstructive fucking around on national television, making thousands for it, then just let me do a little bit on a random, mostly-dead message board.
  • Steve%s's Photo

Hell, I even slag off on ride6 for excessive indieness

When did this happen.

oh yeah, and trance is boring.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

I'm sorry midnight, but read the above again.. the second quote is about yeah yeah, not adagio for strings.

Adagio for Strings is one of those songs that really hits you, when you're slighly drunk and sleep deprived, at trance energy. And yes, it's something that everyone does indeed dance to. And pop pills, sure. But how would you know right?

I'm talking about the tiesto remix, of course. But i'm gathering you got that from the way i was describing it? I wouldn't know the original, anyways.

Now while i'm not a major fan of trance, techno, house, whatever, as in listening to it on a daily basis at home, i can tell you QOTSA's post is anything but spot on.
    Does QOTSA know part of the Southside Spinners, the one that created the tune? He has been playing classisal piano for ten years and can play that very tune up to speed with the song. He is probably at the musical academy here for no reason right? Or not wait... he was there and decided he had nothing to learn, there. Another friend of a friend (cliff coenraad) i've met on occasional basis goes to the same academy. He's busy producing, writing, and whatnot.. 24/7. But i'm sure it's all just the same old same old?
    In all honesty, a thread about any kind of music that you can dance to, or 'rave' as regulatin likes it, really doesn't call for such a comment. If it's so simple, why isn't Jellyfish making millions? It must be something right?

I'm a huge fan of Radiohead but they weren't the first to use 7/8ths of a beat in 2 + 2 = 5. Not by a long shot.

Though, by all means.. when we're talking jumpstyle/hardstyle/hardcore whatchamacallit.. we're losing touch with talent imo. The same hardly goes for some of the softer, better types of clubmusic.
    Jellybones just likes to dig up the narrow-minded asshole sometimes though, and i'd say let him.. who am i to stop him?

All I'm saying is that a song as good as Adagio for Strings doesn't need to be ruined by adding a drumbeat and some shitty sinth. And no popular musician came up with compound meters... Damn, kids, get some fucking culture. The rest of what you said was pretty much gibberish to me, so let me end on this note:

O'Doyle Rules.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

When did this happen.
    oh yeah, and trance is boring.

I forget. But it happened.

But while we're on the subject, let me just say that I feel dirty for ever liking Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. For a while there I was like, okay this isn't bad, but I was probably getting too influenced by all the good press. When you think about it, none of them are particularly good at their instruments, the singer is awful, and they don't write anything very interesting. In short, they're a local band who got lucky who rode a Pitchfork review to indie stardom. Typical. Also, I hate Wolf Parade, but I did from the beginning with them anyway.

Edited by Jellybones, 30 April 2007 - 07:56 PM.

• Steve%s's Photo
    I've never understood CYHSY. Pitchfork is great and all and I sort of trust their judgement, but hey, they lost me on that one.
    And Wolf Parade is okay I guess.
  • posix%s's Photo
    you're music experts.
    really.

friggin all of you.

now PLEASE go on, it's too good.
  • Tom_Dj%s's Photo

I find house/trance/clubby techno whatever is boring repetitive crap. (You can disagree though.

Just listen to stuff from Justice, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher and James Holden and i'm sure you'll change your mind. Those 4 producers are the best and most innovative in their styles (electro-clash, idm, d&b, minimal/techno). i'll guarantee you that it's definately not boring.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading