Theme Park Discussion / Top 10 roller coasters!

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    1. Tatsu (Six Flags Magic Mountain)
    2. Maverick (Cedar Point)
    3. Riddler's Revenge (Six Flags Magic Mountain)
    4. Millennium Force (Cedar Point)
    5. Mr. Freeze (Six Flags St. Louis)
    6. Magnum XL-200 (Cedar Point)
    7. Firehawk (Kings Island)
    8. X (Six Flags Magic Mountain)
    9. Half Pipe (Elitch Gardens)
    10. Italian Job: Stunt Track (Kings Island)

All of mine only from four different parks out of the 17 I've been to.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I always over-think this; the top five are pretty honest after that it gets a bit fuzzy; I guess I just haven't been on enough world class coasters yet (74... Maverick with make 75 here soon).

1) Cornball Express- Indiana Beach:
    One ride on this doesn't mean much, but lines are always light and the ride is insane after dark. A half dozen rides on this are worth more than on pretty much any other coaster. If you want to know why this is my #1 though here's my main reason: if I were to do a marathon on a coaster this would be my first choice.

2) The Voyage- Holiday World:
    In terms of wooden coasters this is basically Cornball's opposite: it's huge, insanely fast, wicked intense, packs lots of floater (rather than simi to full ejection-seat) airtime, and a couple rides are more than enough. I rode it eight times in one day, but it was exhausting; where eight rides on Cornball or even Millennium Force could be called "just warming up" eight rides on this is a few too many. Fucking mindblowing ride (I just hope they maintain it so it stays that way).

3) Millennium Force- Cedar Point:
    Pretty much a given. Talk to almost anyone within 300 miles of Cedar Point and they'll list this as either a top ten ride or one they're scared to death to get on. It's sorta the half-way point between my top two: it's mind-numbingly fast, and upon the first few rides, intense as hell; however, it's re-ridable all day long. Really a fantastic ride that's really more about the pure euphoria of riding coasters than being a real dedicated enthusiast's ride: it's distilled fun for anyone with enough balls to get on it after looking at it.

4) Raging Bull- Six Flags Great America:
    The biggest shame of this top ten; this ride should be #1, maybe #2 at the lowest. The trim breaks murder the potential of the unholy awesome layout. The first drop is still (imo) the best I've ever experienced, and the remainder of the ride (particularly in the back seat) is still airtime-filled with the trims. Riding this just makes me wonder what Apollo's Chariot must be like; considering it's not hampered (as much?) by trim-happy opporations.

5) Superman: Ride of Steel- Six Flags America:
    Yeah, the weaker version, I know... I swear that I'll get out to New England sometime to ride the real S:ROS but for now my row 2 ride on this one goes into memory as one of the greatest riding experiences of my life; sure it wastes the first drop up front but the 2nd hill on out packed absolute GOBS of eject and hold air: the best kind. Amazing ride.

6) Shivering Timbers- Michigan's Adventure:
    While it may be the only reason to visit MA, it's a rather good one. Though the Voyage bests it in most respects the 'Timbers still packs more that a fair amount of strong floater air, and a rib-cracking helix to boot. This is another ride were I fear that poor maintenance may be destroying it since I last rode (in 2004). Still my memories of this ride being my first real leap into world-class riding will forever hold it in high regard.

(here's where things get foggy for me)

7) Volcano: The Blast Coaster- King's Dominion
    What can be said about my favorite inverted coaster (though one of the least conventional)... Two launches (the second really brings on the adrenaline) and three heart-stopping, barrel rolls with more hang-time than the Salem witch trials (bad joke, but whatever). Shame there's not more to it because god it's an amazing ride.

8) Raptor- Cedar Point
    My favorite conventional inverted coaster of all of them that I've been on; by far. The gut-lurching first drop, the grey-out to hangtime in the loop, the float (assuming you're on the correct side here) in the zero-G roll and the general insanity of the whole second half. This ride is madness.

9) Hypersonic XLC- King's Dominion
    Top Thrill Dragster has nothing, absolutely nothing, on the launch and vertical tower of this beast. I had tunnel vision from the blast-off and sudden 4 g incline into the hill. When it comes back it pitches over with reckless abandon and fiercely nose-dives towards the midway. Unfortunately that's where the party stops; the remaining turns do little but jostle the odd rolling stock around and the brakes are applied just over the crest of the final bunny-hop preventing any real airtime at the finish. Yet another ride that could really go for another 1,500 feet of track, or at least an airtime hill or two.

10) Wicked Twister- Cedar Point
    Simple advice for this one; ride it in the back or 2nd to back row. Either one offers a tantalizing ride that cannot be missed. The 2nd reverse up the back spike is the single most unnerving coaster moment available at the twisted track buffet of Cedar Point; not surprising then, that it's among the best period.

Honorable mention:
    Wildcat- Hersheypark
    Lighting Racer- Hersheypark
    Great Bear- Hersheypark
    Raven- Holiday World
    Mantis- Cedar Point (if you get the seat right)
    Magnum- Cedar Point
    Batman: The Ride- Six Flags Great America
    Superman: Ultimate Flight- Six Flags Great America
    Batwing- Six Flags America

Special 'love':
    Wild One- Six Flags America
    Comet- Hersheypark (at night in the drizzle, some of the best coaster memories for me)

I really wish I had a better variety represented here but my 74 rides doesn't really scratch the surface of the good ones; even in my region. I intend to get over to Kennywood and/or Knobels next year and I'll be at Cedar Point October 13th and 14th; which'll get me credit #75: Maverick.

Ride6
  • zodiac%s's Photo

I swear that I'll get out to New England sometime to ride the real S:ROS

Yessss. Amazing ride, airtime is filling, and can almost give you a headache on those last few bunny hills. View over the Connecticut River is pretty nice, too.
  • RCTNW%s's Photo
    1 – Scream/Medusa – SFMM/SFDK
    2 – Silver Bullet - KBF
    3 – Tatsu - SFMM
    4 – California Screeming - DCA
    5 – Space Mountain - DL
    6 – Goliath - SFMM
    7 – Xcelerator - KBF
    8 – Top Gun - CFGA
    9 – X - SFMM
    10 – Timberhawk - SFEV

James - rctnw
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    1- Silver Star (EP)
    2- Goliath (Walibi World)
    3- Big Thunder Mountain (DLP)
    4- Bandit (MW)
    5- Poseidon (EP)
    6- Rock 'n Roller Coaster (DLP)
    7- Crush's Coaster (DLP)
    8- Indiana Jones et le Temple du Peril (DLP)
    9- Euromir (EP)
    10-Space Mountain (DLP, I liked mission 1 better, also because it was smoother at the time. It dropped quite a few places on my list)

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading