News / NE Awards 2008

• Lloyd%s's Photo
    We need some community awards for sure.
  • disneylhand%s's Photo
    Is Best "New Comer" referring to new parkmakers to New Element?

-disneylhand
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    RCTMASTA: The Starflight logo, which was nominated, was made by 5dave, so it actually is 5dave's nod for the logo, not turtle's.

Are there certain rewards for these awards like last year, like parkmaker status or something?

Edited by robbie92, 16 January 2009 - 07:12 PM.

• RRP%s's Photo

RCTMASTA: The Starflight logo, which was nominated, was made by 5dave, so it actually is 5dave's nod for the logo, not turtle's.

Are there certain rewards for these awards like last year, like parkmaker status or something?

cash prizes hopefully
  • Kevin Enns%s's Photo
    Post of the Year...that would be awesome as someone suggested, what a fabulous idea.

And someone once said I deserve Asshole of the Year. I don't know why, but it'd be nice to be nominated for something (remember The Best Name Mk. (Insert Roman Numernal Here) fiasco? Yeah....).

Kevin Enns Ist Krieg
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo

And someone once said I deserve Asshole of the Year. I don't know why, but it'd be nice to be nominated for something

asshole would really be the tightest of all the votes, I think. i say do it.

other forum-related things don't have to be official awards, but can always be chatroom filler. i.e. just poll the room for 'most missed member' or 'best AD topic' and the like.
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    Can we have a category for picking the next ne contest?
  • X_Fusion%s's Photo
    I have my favorites!!!!
    I want to vote :biggrin:
    [[]]
  • posix%s's Photo

I think it's fair that I'm only nominated twice.
    And I think you can keep the Starflight logo, as it appealed more than the Bayon Falls one I think.

... only nominated twice? at the beginning of the sentence i was expecting to read "once" because of the "only". i guess you actually mean two times, though?
    in any case:

We're voting for best logo, not best logo maker. If all five of the nominations should happen to be member x's - so what, they're still the best 5 logos.

that made a lot of sense to me. so dave, bayon and starflight?

We need some community awards for sure.

you suggest them, you get them. but before you suggest, please try to foresee if there are actually enough legit possible nominees for your award. we'd like to avoid awards that are more or less dedicated to a certain member because it's clear no one else has a chance of winning. if it's too predictable then it takes away the fun, i think.

Is Best "New Comer" referring to new parkmakers to New Element?

referring to new faces in our community that have impressed us.

i believe the signature banners were very popular, so i think we will want to do that again. about parkmaker status: our statistics show that the parkmaker pages are one of the least used places of the website. since they are static, ever the same content and tedious to update, we can see why that is. in addition, there has been a lot of objection against the parkmaker status saying that as soon as someone becomes an "ne parkmaker" he stops playing the game because the incentive is gone. there are some more reasons why geewhzz and i do not like the parkmaker concept anymore and intend to replace it with something better in the future that should increase incentives tremendously and also has a "neverending" aspect to it. development for this new feature has reached pretty far by now, however, it requires quite a huge amount of change in infrastructure of the website, which proves to be very time-consuming (anyone want to help, pm us). to cut a long story short: knowing that the parkmaker pages as they are now will be majorly overhauled in the future, in fact the whole status of being one will, we don't like the idea of handing it out to someone right now because it will be very short-lived. that is the same reason why both eyeamthu1 or highball did not get a parkmaker page made after they won spotlight.

however, this is just the admins' opinion. if you, as the community, want to see a "best non-parkmaker" award with the status handed out to the winner, no matter how wrong we believe that is, we will not be stubborn and keep it away from you. please try to consider the long-term situation though before you state your opinion.

other forum-related things don't have to be official awards, but can always be chatroom filler. i.e. just poll the room for 'most missed member' or 'best AD topic' and the like.

what is your conceptional distinction between "non-official awards" and "official awards"? i mean, both are voted upon and later announced during the ceremony. i like the idea of a separation, but i can't think how it can be done, technically/organisationally.
    geewhzz and i had actually discussed the "best advertisment" before but it turned out to be quite hard to find 5 legitimate nominees. i can think of beagle, x250 and rctnw. maybe xophe, too? anyone else having a good idea?
    about best post, i personally like it, but i know i would have a very hard time finding the nominees. i'm afraid it would turn out into everyone nominating his own posts he thought were good. i remember a few years ago this award went to git (aka catachresistant) a lot which was well deserved. however, he doesn't post at all anymore, not to mention in his old style. again though, if we can find 5 good enough nominations that will make this award interesting then it's going to happen.

Can we have a category for picking the next ne contest?

well, picking a contest isn't really "awarding" anyone, is it? i think it doesn't fit into the ceremony. we definitely want to have a poll like that though before our next contest begins. don't worry.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    ^Yeah, I meant once... Sorry for that mistake ;)
    And I personally liked Bayon Falls, Star Flight and Terra Antico the most.

"MFG"
  • FullMetal%s's Photo

there are some more reasons why geewhzz and i do not like the parkmaker concept anymore and intend to replace it with something better in the future that should increase incentives tremendously and also has a "neverending" aspect to it.

You have my attention.
  • Milo%s's Photo
    serious rofl at the dulce new mexico link... that topic is full of goodness serious business.

I agree with most of the community award thoughts.... it is hard to come up with categories though. I'll try to come up with some ideas.
  • Camcorder22%s's Photo
    ^Topic of the year? :lol:
  • X_Fusion%s's Photo
    New categories Awards:

Best building;

Best garden;
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    ^Hey, that best building idea might actually work.

Best Building
    -Any of the stadiums in MMW by RCTNW
  • Steve%s's Photo
    Good call, guys. Though, I'd think "Best Structure of the Year in RCT2 and/or RCTLL" would be more suitable.

Some possible nominations:

The temple in Bayon Falls by 5Dave
    The hotel/entrance in DisneySea by Highball
    Sunrise Ball Park by Mike Robbins
    Any of the stadiums/parking lots/parking garages in the Marriotts project by RCTNW
    The temple in Canthose Valley by 5Dave
    FK+Coastermind's PT3 Preliminary Bridge

Maybe? I also think bringing back older categories from past awards in regards to the community like the "Most Helpful Member" or "Best Member" or "Most Missed Member" or even "Best Post" or "Best Topic" would be great, if there was a way to go about finding nominees.

Possibly even a "Best Comeback of the Year" category (you guys didn't already have that, did you?). I can see RRP, Turtle, tracidEge, Roomie or possibly myself to make the cut for that one.
  • Milo%s's Photo
    good call on the comeback award Steve... that has plenty of nomination opertunities. I really like that one.

I'm thinking maybe also like for structure it could be like best "large" (can't think of a better word) structures. Like stadiums and hotels and such. Could probably get a good list of nominations, pretty much what Steve listed although there are some others (the resort bit in the middle of Magic Realms comes to mind)

um Most Missed Member is always a good one to do... Most Helpful would be nice too

pretty much what steve said heh
  • Steve%s's Photo
    Oh, and p.s., that Dulce New Mexico link WAS hilarious.
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    i don't see a Dulce New Mexico link
  • Nokia%s's Photo

Post of the Year...that would be awesome as someone suggested, what a fabulous idea.

yeah that's pretty much quote of the year or w/e last year that emergo won. "fuck off" :p

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading